Author Topic: Orlando Auction in November Questions  (Read 2356 times)

Offline imjay

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
    • My Old Band
Orlando Auction in November Questions
« on: September 19, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »
My son and I have never been to one of these auctions but we're probably going to drive to Orlando for this one.

Can anyone take a minute and share what we should expect?

For example, is it worthwhile to drive down the day before or can games only be seen the auction morning?

Do we need to tote an extension cord and maybe a shop light to be able to inspect games and play them?

Do the Orlando auctions draw enough pieces/games to make the trip likely to turn up popular pin games at a bargain price?  We don't mind if a game is not 100% operational so long as we have ample time to check it out before bidding.

Finally, any tips on making the most out of one of these auctions and getting the best experience?

Thanks
Jim
352-284-1066
AFM RFM TAF MB NGG TZ Fathom F-14Tomcat, Cougar Dart, Tournament Tornado Foos, Short-Stop

Offline brewmeister_us

• Level 8: Psi Corps
Re: Orlando Auction in November Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 06:32:45 PM »
This thread has been went thru several times before, perhaps before the old bbs went down.

1) Don't expect any bargains on pins.  In addition to hammer price, add 13% bidders premium and tax.  Basically do a quick 20% in your head.  Look at the links below and the numbers and add 20% - very few "bargains".

2)  There may be some good stuff, but alot is junk.  I've seen SA truck a pin that "sold" in Orlando to a SA auction in Hialeah to be "re-sold" for even more than the week before.  And it was junk.  Also, bidders can bid on their own items and "buybacks" are permitted.

3) It is more a social experience / get together for other like minded people.  Come, enjoy.  Curly has a table of parts f/s, beer is available at the expo hall.  Advertise if you have a game f/s to someone who might not otherwise be too far to make the trip to your place and meet "half-way" at the auction.

Last auction results from the bbs:  http://pinballflorida.com/mamboserver/content/view/66/48/

and previous auctions:  http://pinballflorida.com/mamboserver/content/category/5/21/48/
Putting the "fun" in dysfunction every day...

Offline imjay

• My Old Band
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »
Thanks for the input.

Maybe best goal is to drive down for the experience and if something special shows up be prepared.
JM
AFM RFM TAF MB NGG TZ Fathom F-14Tomcat, Cougar Dart, Tournament Tornado Foos, Short-Stop

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »
My son and I have never been to one of these auctions but we're probably going to drive to Orlando for this one.

Jim, may I point you to our handy-dandy Auction Guide, which will answer many of your questions!

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 07:32:23 PM »
Beer is sold there and it is definitely more of a "meeting of the minds".  No pin deals...EVER.  But there are plenty of vid deals and even cheap steals on dead row if you need that cab or part from it.  Sometimes a nice vid or two come up but prices will vary depending on who is getting a hot dog or outside smoking.

All in all, it is a fun time and the Nov-Dec. auctions are the largest in Florida.  One a few years ago lasted till 9pm.  I highly suggest the ride down for the day, it is a fun experience and at the very least you can see everyone.

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 02:21:58 AM »
"No pin deals...EVER."

Well, I wouldn't say THAT...but it depends what you're looking for.  If it's one of the Top 10 list type of pins then it will go for a premium.  But there usually are a couple decent games that aren't highly sought after that may go cheap or for a decent price.  There were a few very nice EM's at the last auction I think that sold for like $300-$350.  So, it depends what might strike your fancy, and who's there and bidding.  No way to know until you get there...most of the games show up Sat morning, so going there Friday night (I don't know if they even let you browse Friday night) doesn't do so much good. There will be plenty from the group there you can ask advice on any potential purchases...bring extension chord, maybe a flashlight if you think you want to inspect the game that closely...I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a shop light! :)  Most don't open up the hoods of the games too much either, but may be possible if you REALLY need to.

Past auction results should be found on the homepage, links above from Rich.  Check it out and THAT should help tell you some ballpark prices, but doesn't reflect conditions so hard to really tell sometimes why a game sold for whatever price.  You should definitely go, it's a good experience whether you buy something or not.

Offline yukonblaze

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 08:20:44 AM »
If you have a game in mind, have a price before arriving.  When you arrive, any chane at a 'boner' we easily be wiped away when it is time to bid.  Went with a game in mind and upon arrival, told myself I wouldnt leave without it, $840 later I left.  Have never regrettede the game (Blitz/Showtime Sportstation), but wife has always asked why I paid twice as much for the first one as I did for the next.  No matter what you buy, if the wife isnt with ya, she will never understand.  As Ibis stated, BEER is sold here and is truly a meeting time.  Whatever you spend, be ready for the game not to work when you get home. If it does then you have survived the zone when all games stop working (ZONE; noun; area between purchase and delivery were all electronics cease to work. sen.; The centipede failed to power on after returning from the zone.)  Dont hesitate to come just to let your son in on your childhood.

Jason
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 11:35:04 AM by yukonblaze »
Life is as heavy as a game on your foot!!!

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:57:52 AM »
Jeff, you are right, I take that back.  There was a World Tour that went for under a grand and a Class of 1912 that Jim picked up that was in great shape.  I have seen a few pin deals but not many.

Offline Mojo_114

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »
The trick is to go and be patient.  Talk to people, get to know all the fine people here.  You won't get one the first or the fifth time you go, but all of sudden one will fall in your lap.
I come up from West Palm Beach to speak to old friends, and do some wheeling and dealing. I never go expecting anything, but on occasion have been quite surprised.
JIM 
Spiderman, Pinball Magic, HH, FG, Godzilla, MM, Centaur, 8 Ball Delux, Circus, Mr & Mrs Pacman, Freddy, Star Wars, Apollo 13, TZ, Mario

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 11:06:48 PM »
Jim, it is always good to see you at the auctions and I hope you continue to come.  It is great to see the family too.  Those kids definitely take after their mother!  Bring Ron up the next time!

Offline Mojo_114

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 11:57:49 AM »
I will try to get Ron this time, but a new family has him jumping. I am also comming early, got a killer deal on a unused timeshare at the Marriot. 
JIM
Spiderman, Pinball Magic, HH, FG, Godzilla, MM, Centaur, 8 Ball Delux, Circus, Mr & Mrs Pacman, Freddy, Star Wars, Apollo 13, TZ, Mario