Author Topic: LOTR shaker install  (Read 5533 times)

Offline dangerwil

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
LOTR shaker install
« on: April 03, 2012, 08:54:22 PM »
I just installed a shaker in my original LOTR.  Very simple and really cool mod.  I used an old shaker motor with the cheap shaker kit from Pinbits. Followed these instructions from RGP and the pictures from Pinbits website.  

I have no idea what all the fuss is over this. People want to do it. The exchange of information is not illegal. Stern no longer sells new lord of the ring in any editions so there's not even any possible loss of money for them by this information getting out. The fact that this information is hard to find is silly and annoying. In any event, here is a full tutorial on how to get this done. No "cough cough" bs or any beating around the bush. Here we go:

To install a shaker motor in your lord of the rings standard edition, you need to be running the special edition of lord of the rings software on your regular machine. However, the special edition of the machine has been updated to the SAM chipset while the original machine ran the whitestar chipset. The shaker motor code will only run if it detects the SAM chipset. Therefore, you will need some items for this:

1) Stern shaker motor kit. Rev B works. Get from standard suppliers like marco, cointaker, etc.
2) Lord of the rings special PAL chip. Get from pinbits.
3) Lord of the rings 10.02 ROM. I'm not sure where to get this. I programmed my own. Googling for chip sellers may work, search RGP etc. Stern allows downloads of the software from their website, but I do not see 10.02 there. IPDB seems to have it in the PINMAME ROM SET. However, once "the cat is out of the bag" (software released on internet) you cannot put it back. It's around. Also, if you order a chip, you need the 10.0 display rom to go with it. So get both.

Once you have these things, it's time to install:

1) Install the new PAL chip in your machine. It replaces the chip in the CPU board directly to the left of your game ROM.
2) Install your new 10.02 game rom into your machine.
3) Install display ROM 10.0 into your DMD controller board on the back side of the DMD. You must run the 10.0 display ROM along with the 10.0 or 10.02 code.
4) Fire up your machine. If it doesn't boot up, turn it off, remove your batteries, wait 30 secs, and try again. Or reseat your CPU ROM.
5) Once the game boots up and you're satisfied that 10.02 is working fine, it's time to install the shaker motor. Follow the standard instructions to mount the shaker into the game.
6) To wire the shaker, you will need to connect the red/white wire to the red/white wire at the top prong of the coin door switch.

7) To wire to the trigger you need to connect the brown/white wire in the head of the cabinet into the bottom of the CPU board. I find the solenoid connector that has two orange wires on the left and the rest are blue wires. Pin 5 of this connector is empty. Attach the brown/white wire there.

8) There is no software to configure. Turn on your game and play. Shaker runs when ballrog roars or when you hit most shots in modes or jackpots.

Bill
STTNG, NF,  Spectrum, FT, T2, Embryon, SST, JP, HUO LOTR, Fathom, Centaur, Medusa, Vector, 8BDX, Seawitch x 2, SG,  Scuba, Outer Space, IJ (w),  Star Battle, Cosmic War, WW, Hot Shot, ID4, 5c/t, 5 cabaret, EM games, upright vids, boxes and boxes of parts and a complete lack of sanity.

Offline PinFan4Life

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: LOTR shaker install
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 09:00:33 PM »
Thanks for posting this Bill!

I've been wanting to add a shaker to my LOTR, but didn't really know where to start.

This helps a lot.

Thanks,

Shawn
Pins: Elvira’s HOH Prem, Rush Premium, Godzilla Premium, Foo Fighters Premium, Cactus Canyon LE, Metallica, Star Trek Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, TMNT pro, Family Guy, Cirqus Voltaire, WOZ ECLE, Scooby Doo CE, Whirlwind.  Vids: 60 in 1 Multicade, Megatouch EVO. Visiting currently: Wms Touchdown EM.

Offline Pinball Shark

• Level 5: Power User!
    • PinballShark.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »
Hey, I've put the 10.02 rom in my game some time back, but haven't installed the shaker motor yet. The only problem I got is that the volume sometimes goes to full blast for about a second and scares the bajezus out of you. It's completely random and some days it doesn't happen at all. Then the next day it will do it 3 times in a game. Anybody else have this problem?
www.pinballshark.com
Tampa Pinball Repair

F L O R I D A P I N B A L L . C O M

Offline dangerwil

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »
Hey, I've put the 10.02 rom in my game some time back, but haven't installed the shaker motor yet. The only problem I got is that the volume sometimes goes to full blast for about a second and scares the bajezus out of you. It's completely random and some days it doesn't happen at all. Then the next day it will do it 3 times in a game. Anybody else have this problem?

Yep. Same here.  Hacked internet software, it is what it is.  On the plus side the flippers are much stronger now.
STTNG, NF,  Spectrum, FT, T2, Embryon, SST, JP, HUO LOTR, Fathom, Centaur, Medusa, Vector, 8BDX, Seawitch x 2, SG,  Scuba, Outer Space, IJ (w),  Star Battle, Cosmic War, WW, Hot Shot, ID4, 5c/t, 5 cabaret, EM games, upright vids, boxes and boxes of parts and a complete lack of sanity.

Offline Pinball Shark

• PinballShark.com
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »
I played it a lot today and no problems at all. What a bizarre bug. Time to get the shaker motor!
www.pinballshark.com
Tampa Pinball Repair

Offline dangerwil

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 10:51:57 PM »

I just figured out the fix to this bug!  I was reading some info on pinside about Whitestar sound.  LOTR shipped with a very early version of the sound operating system.  The version can be updated to OS 8.  I had OS 4 in mine.  Updated to 8 and the game is now working correctly.  All the update info and the rom image can be found at Sterns website.  Service bulletin 157.

http://sternpinball.com/SB/ServiceBulletin_157.html

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 11:25:54 PM »
Yeah, all the non-bmst2k boards need os8 on them, as the early version emulation was kinda buggy, still doesn't sound as good as a good ole' bmst2k tho.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline Pinball Shark

• PinballShark.com
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »
Thanks for fix on this one! I was about to just revert back to version 10 and unplug the shaker.
www.pinballshark.com
Tampa Pinball Repair

Offline Pinball Shark

• PinballShark.com
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »
Hey, who can make this O/S 8 Sound EPROM? Hamster?
www.pinballshark.com
Tampa Pinball Repair

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
LOTR shaker install
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 12:37:09 PM »
i can, but wont be home till monday.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline Pinball Shark

• PinballShark.com
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 12:56:32 PM »
If you can do it sometime this week, that would be great. Let me know how much and I'll paypal the money.

Thanks.
www.pinballshark.com
Tampa Pinball Repair

Offline SHOPOFGAMES

• Show Organizer
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
  • CURLY
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 10:27:45 PM »
 I will have the shaker motor kits at the open house for 10.00 off,  Reg 170.00, 1 day sale price of 160.00

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 07:16:16 AM »
If you can do it sometime this week, that would be great. Let me know how much and I'll paypal the money.

Thanks.

i should be able to get this done tonight, and out in the mail tonight, pm your address.

Offline Pinball Shark

• PinballShark.com
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 12:27:55 PM »
I missed the reply email on this thread. I sent you a PM.
www.pinballshark.com
Tampa Pinball Repair

Offline Pinball Shark

• PinballShark.com
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
I got the chip today and flashed the sound OS from version 4 to 8. All seems okay. No nasty sound blasts.

THANKS HAMSTER!
www.pinballshark.com
Tampa Pinball Repair