Author Topic: Looking to have someone paint and stencil my Cyclone.  (Read 3532 times)

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Looking to have someone paint and stencil my Cyclone.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 09:11:21 AM »
this is the write up for an arcade game...just take it and apply the technique sideways. you can't beat this advice:

http://www.gamestencils.com/Gamestencils_Guide.pdf

The guy who wrote that is a hack who counts the wrinkles in his cats butt hole!  :o

Once you do a stencil, the next ones are much easier.  Its the prep work on the cab that takes time and experience.  Research the web, even HEP, they have some vids that go over their cab prep. 

Offline Flipincrazy

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 11:22:18 AM »
Yes, 

My words of caution were not meant as a challenge.  Even assuming perfect cabinet prep, the actual stenciling can be tedious without alignment marks etc..  Cyclone is very detailed.   I have done one.  I am experienced and still had to redo one side because of the original stencil.  It is much easier to learn on an EM or a less complicated pattern for alignment purposes.

Dan
Pins:  TZ, FH, RFM, TAF,TSPP, Joker Poker, Sinbad, BOP,  Fathom, Centaur, Space Invaders,, FB Classic,  Cyclone, Big Chief, Extra Innings, Bronco, Beat the Clock (WMS)

Offline AshBurton

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 12:57:21 PM »
Dan you sound like just the man for the job   ;) I'm not going to sand down my cab only to have it destroyed by my lack of ability.  If I owned or had ever used a spray gun that might help, but I do not.  I guess I will just hold off for now.  I have a NOS playfield I'm about to install so the important part is taken care of, just not the OCD part that keeps me up at night.

Offline AshBurton

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »
Still looking for this service, looking online it seems Pinball Shark is the nearest place that offers this and that is in Tampa.

Offline bjones

• Administrator
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Game Collector
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 06:07:15 PM »
Yes, 

My words of caution were not meant as a challenge.  Even assuming perfect cabinet prep, the actual stenciling can be tedious without alignment marks etc..  Cyclone is very detailed.   I have done one.  I am experienced and still had to redo one side because of the original stencil.  It is much easier to learn on an EM or a less complicated pattern for alignment purposes.

Dan

There's loads of crappy artists and stencil makers out there in pinball land, just the fact that they omit some sort of alignment marks proves it.  No alignment marks and really horrible drawing skills are the two things I have seen in almost every pin stencil i've ever gotten a chance to look at.

You can paint incredibly detailed stencils quite easily if you use the correct paints and prep.  That's key to it all.  Take the time to prep the cabinet and use good quality automotive paints and stenciling is a complete breeze.