Author Topic: Need some help. Congo Headaches  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Bok013

• Level 3: Hologram
  • No Tickie, No Laundry
Re: Need some help. Congo Headaches
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 12:26:23 AM »
I swapped the flipper after the original one stayed energized. I did switch the flipper assemblies back and forth. I have double checked the connectors but it wouldn't hurt to check again. kvan has been pounding his head with me on this one and we've ran through just about everything. I went to Fred to see if we overlooked something. The game is at my friend's house at the moment. I am getting it back this weekend to take a fresh look at it. If I can't get a good board to test then I am going to return the rottendog and search for another board. Thanks for all the info from everyone. I will keep you updated. It will get done, it just takes some time and a lot of beer. 
Multicade 3100

Offline tktlwyr

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Lord of the Slings
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 06:26:29 AM »
If you want to bring that board down to test in my AFM, shoot me a PM to set it up.

I may even have an IRL540, which is a better susbtitute for a 20N10L, here.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:30:56 AM by tktlwyr »
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, WW and Wild Card

Offline tktlwyr

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Lord of the Slings
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 09:42:50 AM »
Well, the problem is fixed.  It was NOT the Rottendog driver board. 

Jonathan came down and we pulled the factory B/W driver out of my AFM, put the Rottendog in and AFM played like a champ.  He had Congo in the back of his car so we hauled it in and tried the factory driver in Congo to see if it was something quirky going on with the Rottendog board.  A bad data cable threw us for a few minutes and when we got that figured out and a new cable in, the flipper energized as before and we knew it wasn't the driver board.

Despite being told that it wasn't a flipper opto board, I had a feeling, so we raised the playfield and I pulled switch cable from the otpo board knowing that if the coil was grounding somewhere it would still be energized but if it were a switch issue, it would not.  BAM!  The flipper dropped back to its resting point and I knew it was a switch issue.  Since a new CPU had been tried in the game, I was pretty confident it was the opto board and I happened to have a spare.  We put it in the game and the problem was gone!  Considering how many hours were put into trying to solve this problem by various people and professional techs, I feel pretty happy to be the one to figure this out for Jonathan.  I'm even happier to have met Jonathan and look forward to hanging with him in the future! 

Enjoy the game, bro!
David Paz
AFMrSE, Eight Ball, Flash Gordon, FFPre, GZPre, Hot Tip, IMDNLE, IM, Joker Poker, Paragon, Pulp Fiction: Bad Mother Flipper Edition, Rush LE, WW and Wild Card

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »
nice work. a keyboard can only tell you so much, where standing in front of it will speak volumes.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Bok013

• Level 3: Hologram
  • No Tickie, No Laundry
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 07:57:44 PM »
What can I say? There are few that would let me touch much less take out boards from an AFM in such pristine condition. Not only did he offer his help but he went far beyond what most would for a perfect stranger. What a great guy. I can't say thanks enough to tktlwyr. Being a noob I learn more everyday. And he is just a cool guy to boot. I see some winery and pin time ahead! Thanks tkt. you da man.

Thanks to everyone else that gave me advice on working on this as well. Especially Kvan99. Kvan spent hours with me on the phone. The opto board was one of the first things he mentioned. I checked it the best i knew how by swapping it out with the DM but obviously I missed something. I may have tried that with the original board which was acting differently. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Congo is back from the dead and will live to be played for a long time, I learned a lot and meet good people.

Many hours with total SUCESS!!!
Multicade 3100