Author Topic: For as little as $5, compete against the BEST IN THE WORLD!  (Read 5665 times)

Offline pinballcorpse

• Level 10: Timelord
  • Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
For as little as $5, compete against the BEST IN THE WORLD!
« on: November 16, 2013, 10:29:21 AM »
The SPF is coming in less than a week!

If the past 2 years have been an indicator, some of the BEST pinball players in the world will be in attendance in our back yard and more are coming!

Bowen Kerins who is the current WORLD PINBALL CHAMPION played here with us last year and will likely be present this year.

Some other big household names in the pinball world have also been at previous SPF tourneys: The Sharpe family: Josh, Zach and Roger Sharpe, Lyman Sheats of STERN, Keith Johnson of JJP (2 awesome programmers), Mark Steinman of PAPA and many, many A-list players!

The SPF is the last of the PAPA Pinball Circuit Series for 2013, so there will be some world class pinball action at SPF.

For only $5 you can buy a single game entry. This will rank your game score against ALL of the competitors on that single game.

Where else can you say you were in the same location and competed against the best in the world for $5!

For the finer tourney print:

Since the idea of most tourneys is to record your best score on each of the games in the bank (typically 5 games), it is recommended that if you are trying to qualify, that 2 entries of 3 games for $10 are purchased. Or you could pay $5 x 5 games for $25 which costs more money.

So while $5 gives you a taste of competing with the best players on a single game, $20 will buy a COMPLETE ENTRY where you are now ranked against every player on every game.  This is the way to go.

What does my $20 get me?

1. $20 will allow you to play each game in the bank once, plus you can play one do-over game (Only your best score counts on the repeat game). 

The $20 (5 best games) will generate a "composite score" that will be ranked against everyone in the tourney. (Top 16 composite scores move on to finals).

Essentially all of the competitors playing will be trying to generate a composite score based on the 5 games.

So even if you only pay $20, and other people throw $100s of dollars in tries, you will have a composite score for only $20.

2. You will be playing/competing and get ranked against the BEST PINBALL PLAYERS in the world!

3. You will be playing/competing and get ranked against all of your Florida pinball friends.

4. You will get IFPA/WPPR points for a world ranking www.ifpapinball.com

5. You will get IFPA/WPPR points for a state ranking. (Top 16 state players compete in the Florida State Pinball Championships.  www.ifpapinball.com

6. Did I mention you will be in the same room at the same time competing against the BEST PINBALL PLAYERS in the world?

7. Lastly: $20 buys a lot of fun, memories and a chance to hang out and talk pinball with people you might not otherwise see.  Who knows, you might get the competitive pinball bug!

NOTE: $5 will also earn a composite score and IFPA points, but your composite score will be only based on one game, which is like taking 1 out of 5 tests in a school subject and getting a grade.

In any case, for only $5 you can at least say you played with the best pinball players in the world!

Join us!

See you soon!

Jeff
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline Greywolf

• Show Organizer
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
    • Free Play Services
Re: For as little as $5, compete against the BEST IN THE WORLD!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:41:24 PM »
Well said :)
72 Pins, 43 Vids, 3 EM gun games, Coke Vendo 110, Rowe & Rockola jukeboxes, Erie Digger, and 1 novelty redemption piece.

Moving games throughout Florida for the collector community.

Free Play Florida

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 01:20:25 AM »
This explains things well, answers all the questions I was asking Donnie at the last show, and the one before that. :) It should be cut/pasted in a thread for each show, and probably printed and posted at each show as well, as it would save a LOT of questions/ confusion for newbies, and a lot of time for Donnie to constantly be explaining! Good post, Jeff!

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 07:44:56 AM »
Thank you. I am always glad to help :)

As a quick note, that post is a very, very small written excerpt of the Pinball Tourney 101 seminar Brian Dominy and I gave at the Pinball Asylum on Nov 9th.

“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline HighProtein

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 06:31:48 PM »
I'll probably win the whole thing this year.
5star:SMB/Rastan
Bmac:CruisinW
DicksOp:PacCocktail,MVC,AREA51,CENTIPEDE,BAGS&TROG
DicksNocatee:TMNT
DicksYulee:NoFear,Contra&MK2
Keg:Ven,JP,DP,GZ,SW,TMNT,Foo,19xx,CrazyTaxi,Tekken5,SF2,SMB,MVC2,NBAjam,PopNmusic,RevX,Tetris&UMK3 / JusticePub:BigHouse,Gladiators,Mario,SF2,SF2NC,Tekken5,Pac,Simpsons&SMB / JRseafood: Multicade&SMB / Players1:STH,TMNT,WCS&TMNT / Players2:DP / Players3:NF / Sneaker:Klax,SS / Soupa:MVC / S.O.P.:Galaga,Pac,&SW / SunRayCinema:Genesis,Deathstalker&SMB
VGR:Area51,CrazyTaxi,H.O.D.SFA3,SF2&WildRiders /
Walrus:PAC,SMB&TT

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 06:28:06 PM »
As a follow up, the 2013 SPF once again had some amazing world-class pinball players including:

Bowen Kerins: The current world champion, PAPA tutorial video expert and winner of the 2013 SPF tourney

Zach Sharpe: The current number one ranked IFPA player in the world and winner of the 2011 SPF tourney

Steven Bowden: 15th in the world and winner of the 2012 SPF tourney

Several top 25 IFPA world ranked players (the front page players) including:

Trent Augenstein

Jim Belsito

Bob Matthews

Josh Sharpe

Several top 100 world ranked players also competed.

Last but not least, pinball legend Roger Sharpe also competed with us at SPF. Roger is generally known for "saving pinball" and has been involved in some of the best known games of our era.

There were 81 total competitors which is pretty awesome for Florida!  I saw some new Florida faces in the mix-glad to have you on board and hope to see you at the next tourney!

Remember-It is more fun to compete-get out there and join the fun!

Jeff

Offline pindan3

• Level 9: Grid Champion
  • And Now....On with the Show !
    • Town & Country Limousines
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:37:17 AM »
did not compete in this one...........I was camera shy!!!..........no just kidding could only make it on Friday!
MB=Monster Bash**CFTBL=Creature from the Black Lagoon*BoP=Bride of Pinbot*RFM=Revenge from Mars*Diner*Shrek** DSS=Scared Stiff *Metallica * BSD= Bram Stokers Dracula . & Rock-in-BowlaRama. ,Silver Strike LIVE bowler ST (Stern Star Trek), PAST PINS  Funhouse, South Park,CP, FT, RS, Big Hit, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Dr Dude, PZ, JY,RBION, TSPP, Popeye, Flintstones, JD, Strikes N Spares ( gotlieb) HS2, TAF, Wish List..AFM le, Aerosmith, DAN

Offline HighProtein

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 08:46:42 PM »
Results page...
http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=493#results

Many from the 904 Area code and surrounding areas.
5star:SMB/Rastan
Bmac:CruisinW
DicksOp:PacCocktail,MVC,AREA51,CENTIPEDE,BAGS&TROG
DicksNocatee:TMNT
DicksYulee:NoFear,Contra&MK2
Keg:Ven,JP,DP,GZ,SW,TMNT,Foo,19xx,CrazyTaxi,Tekken5,SF2,SMB,MVC2,NBAjam,PopNmusic,RevX,Tetris&UMK3 / JusticePub:BigHouse,Gladiators,Mario,SF2,SF2NC,Tekken5,Pac,Simpsons&SMB / JRseafood: Multicade&SMB / Players1:STH,TMNT,WCS&TMNT / Players2:DP / Players3:NF / Sneaker:Klax,SS / Soupa:MVC / S.O.P.:Galaga,Pac,&SW / SunRayCinema:Genesis,Deathstalker&SMB
VGR:Area51,CrazyTaxi,H.O.D.SFA3,SF2&WildRiders /
Walrus:PAC,SMB&TT