Author Topic: Alien: Covenant Trailer  (Read 862 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Alien: Covenant Trailer
« on: March 02, 2017, 12:23:27 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

I was hoping they'd fix some of the Prometheus problems. Looks like instead they decided to double-down on the stupid.

Lets all get out of our ship and wander around without helmets on. Hey look, some alien pollen/spores - I'm sure that won't be a problem, I mean it gives people hay-fever on Earth but I'm sure the effects won't be much, much worse here on an alien planet.

Looks like they're going more straight-up horror movie with this though, so maybe they wrote them stupid on purpose. Lets all split up and scout around!

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Alien: Covenant Trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 08:23:08 AM »
With any of these type of movies there has to be an element of stupid otherwise the movie wouldn't work.

In the original Alien had they listened to Ripley and not let John Hurt with the Face Hugger in.. well no problem. Or at the very least they could have immediately put him in Cryo.

However.. had they done that you'd have no movie.

Despite the plot holes I liked Prometheus and look forward to Covenant.

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 04:45:50 PM »
Unless its non-fiction, every movie has 'problems'.  In Step Brothers, why are the two not meeting before the wedding?  Why did they not know each other AT the wedding?  Why are they only meeting for the first time on move-in day?  I take any movie with grains of salt, I enjoy them that way and don't let the little things take away from a great movie that lets you escape for a while.  I love this franchise and ignore the cluster of web sites that pick apart every detail, I just enjoy them for face value.  Big glaring holes in plots, sure it makes me think about the quality of the story, but in general little holes are expected.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 05:20:58 AM »
Something reminded me of this movie recently and I couldn't for the life of me remember if I ever saw it.

Tracked down a copy, and I must have seen it at a friend's house, and we likely talked through it because I only remembered bits and pieces. That and I'm just getting old and movies are getting more and more similar too. Crank out those reboots!

Big glaring holes you say? Holy shit this makes Prometheus look coherent. At least in Prometheus they wore breathing apparatus for a while, when they got to the alien planet, then stupidly took it off. In Covenant everybody just happily marches right off the landing ship, no space suits, no masks/oxygen, they didn't even bring any with them. It's quite amazing how stupid the writing is in this one.

They have a throwaway line "did you follow quarantine protocol?" right as the shit is hitting the fan, and well after they've completely ignored every possible quarantine rule.

I don't expect any movie to be perfect, but I also don't think it's too much to ask for all of the characters to not be complete morons. At least with the original Alien, Ripley had some sense.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 05:28:27 AM by Niloc »

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 01:05:49 PM »
Covenant was pretty disappointing.

I guess Prometheus was a little to off the beaten path for a lot of people so they apparently got spooked and went back to basics with Covenant throwing out almost everything they set up in Prometheus in the process. By the way - Prometheus didn't make sense in some areas because they apparently cut half the script out last minute, leaving a bunch of plot holes.. go figure.

Unfortunately that meant making a pretty run of the mill Alien movie with all the cliches we've already seen a dozen times before.

It still looked good because it was Ridley Scott but overall it was pretty dumb and not much better than the lesser sequels in terms of story as yes the colonists were super stupid in this one instead of just being generally dumb like in even the better previous Alien movies.

I'm pretty sure the franchise is dead now at least until another full reboot.