Author Topic: A good time for Williams remakes?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline PinHobby

• Level 3: Hologram
A good time for Williams remakes?
« on: May 10, 2017, 05:47:40 PM »
Good times could be ahead for Planetary Pinball. Seven of the top ten pins on Pinside are Williams/Bally.
Just pic any of those and it most likely will be a hit as a Remake.
I love my MMR, it plays flawless, it's brand new and probably will run relatively trouble free for few years. My STTNG on the other hand requires quite a bit of upkeep and is 25 years old.
To be honest I'm not a fanatic collector that has to have the originals, I rather pay the $7K for an Indiana Jones or Adams Family remake than the same $ or higher amount on the 25 year old version that requires much upkeep.
So press on PP, I'll buy the first TAF and IJ remakes and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Pins: ST PRO, STTNG, ST 25th Anniversary, Bally Star Trek,  POTC, Monopoly, Black Rose, WOZ, and Dialed In LE.

Offline Doublekick

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: A good time for Williams remakes?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
The last couple dealing with Planetary Pinball were garbage.
The few mmr's I have seen are not like the originals
I just thought they were poor quality
Like a few of the items I bought from them
There is nothing better then the original stuff
And just because it's new doesn't mean trouble free

Offline freakandgeek

• The GameRoom Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »
I think they could do well with titles like cactus canyon or monster bash. These are games pretty hard to find a reasonable prices, so new in the box at 7K would be attractive to people that want these.

Beyond that however I wonder how many other effective titles they could remake.

The new factor is a bit overstated as the build quality of original Williams machines is superior. I would prefer a fully restored original personally.

The other challenge for them is Stern and others keep on putting out really fun new games. Even for a new collector that has not played these decades old games to death already -- I wonder how many would prefer an Afm over something like Aerosmith or Walking Dead or Dialed In.
http://GameRoomBlog.com
================================
Creature, WH20, Meteor, Fireball II, Godzilla, Rush, Foo Fighters

Offline Mamushka

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
Good times could be ahead for Planetary Pinball. Seven of the top ten pins on Pinside are Williams/Bally.
Just pic any of those and it most likely will be a hit as a Remake.
I love my MMR, it plays flawless, it's brand new and probably will run relatively trouble free for few years. My STTNG on the other hand requires quite a bit of upkeep and is 25 years old.
To be honest I'm not a fanatic collector that has to have the originals, I rather pay the $7K for an Indiana Jones or Adams Family remake than the same $ or higher amount on the 25 year old version that requires much upkeep.
So press on PP, I'll buy the first TAF and IJ remakes and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Sounds like you are more of a player and just wants the game to run (relatively trouble free) and look good. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I consider myself as a hobbyist as I like working on them just as much as playing on them. I have polished a few turds and made them pretty damn nice (my FH really should have been parted out, yes, people used to do that in this hobby ;) ). I honestly hope PP starts making more so the players can dump their old games and replace them with new. Win win.  :)
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline PinHobby

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:31:06 AM »
Sounds like you are more of a player and just wants the game to run (relatively trouble free) and look good. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I consider myself as a hobbyist as I like working on them just as much as playing on them. I have polished a few turds and made them pretty damn nice (my FH really should have been parted out, yes, people used to do that in this hobby ;) ). I honestly hope PP starts making more so the players can dump their old games and replace them with new. Win win.  :)

You are 100% correct. I have spent more time fixing my STTNG than actually playing it, let along the $ cost. Not complaining just stating the fact. The only time spent working on my TWD, MMR and ST (all new) has been adding mods. That's why some of those old title remakes make sense to someone like me. Love to have an TAF or IJ, but I rather play than fix.
Pins: ST PRO, STTNG, ST 25th Anniversary, Bally Star Trek,  POTC, Monopoly, Black Rose, WOZ, and Dialed In LE.

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 12:20:53 PM »
ST:TNG is a maintenance hog, though. you've got one of the top 2 most difficult games to get 100% working and reliable. :)

have to say, I enjoy repairing MORE than playing. brain's wired incorrectly here.

the MMr is not a bad game. there is a filter option to fix the "too bright" issue with inserts. fun fact, stern builds it. and stern tech support has been awesome for my few experiences using them.

I hope they DON'T remake games I own. selfish, but fact...the medieval announcement took 4 grand+ off the price of MM overnight. then again, I 110% prefer to buy broken, and broken games are ridiculously overpriced nowadays as everything else.

it will be interesting to see how new sterns hold up over the next 10 years. like sharkey's shootout age nowadays.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline PinHobby

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 01:01:14 PM »
I understand that unlike MMR, AFMR will not be build by Stern. It will be interesting to see the quality coming out of whomever puts these together. Hope they have their act together.

Offline Redfox

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 04:39:12 PM »
... -- I wonder how many would prefer an Afm over something like Aerosmith or Walking Dead or Dialed In.

I for one certainly would. LOL.
Pins: AC/DC, RBION, Fast Draw, Stargate, Cactus Canyon
Past Pins: Solar City, The Shadow, Bad Cats, Jack·Bot, Johnny Mnemonic, LOTR, Half of a Tron

Offline BIT

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 09:20:45 PM »
Same here...

I for one certainly would. LOL.
Vids: Gauntlet I/II
Pins: Avengers LE Hulk, GOT Pro, Mando Premium