Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 12621 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: The Orville
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2019, 04:40:56 PM »
Well i am now firm on my Star Trek Discovery > The Orville
 Orville has lost it's charm for me and is not going well SciFi wise and or comedy wise and tries to much to be Star Trek.

I've continued to enjoy the Orville, it's not perfect but it's a fun show and fills that Star Trek void for me.

As far as Discovery.. ugh.. I looked into some reviews of the new season and it sounded pretty miserable. I have 0 interest in another iteration of Spock.. Leonard Nimoy was fine, let's move on.

Discovery seems like Star Trek made by suits in a committee that don't quite understand why people like Star Trek in the first place. They think Star Trek is all about 'splosions and re-treading TOS because that's the Star Trek most people say is the best one. So instead of a good show you have this lame ass interpretation of what some marketing guy thinks is a good Star Trek show.

I might look into the Picard show if that gets made but I don't really have any interest in Discovery.

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2019, 04:48:13 PM »
for once i agree with jack in regards to discovery.

But i will still watch it, i wasn't to keen on the "re-incarnation" of spock into the timeline,  i don't ever recall him having a adopted step-sister, so why are we now learning of this? my opinion, marking people are drones.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a838485/star-trek-discovery-spock-adopted-sister/

https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline PinFever

• Level 9: Grid Champion
    • Pc Gamers Battle company ( OUTLAW )
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2019, 03:25:12 PM »
I've continued to enjoy the Orville, it's not perfect but it's a fun show and fills that Star Trek void for me.

As far as Discovery.. ugh.. I looked into some reviews of the new season and it sounded pretty miserable. I have 0 interest in another iteration of Spock.. Leonard Nimoy was fine, let's move on.

Discovery seems like Star Trek made by suits in a committee that don't quite understand why people like Star Trek in the first place. They think Star Trek is all about 'splosions and re-treading TOS because that's the Star Trek most people say is the best one. So instead of a good show you have this lame ass interpretation of what some marketing guy thinks is a good Star Trek show.

I might look into the Picard show if that gets made but I don't really have any interest in Discovery.

well no real review there .
 Just your thoughts about the reviews of others .
 However being I have not read any other reviews than in this sub forum I can not comment on the comments of them.
 Spock is not even in it yet really and even if so it would be only the 3rd one portraying the part .
 There been more Spider-mans,hulks,Peter pans, Transformers ect ect ect remakes , re boots , redo's what evers .
Discovery is not a remake or re boot .

it is original content and not knowing which Multi verse it is it still follows the rules of star trek and follows a lot of the TOS happenings
I enjoy it and thought more would as Star wars is a mess .

The Captain PIKE thing took me by surprise but liked it and he is spot on lookalike to the T.O.S Pike .
Long Live and Prosper .
  The Orville episode with the robot love story is a Ripoff of the Han Solo movie . Robot love side story . yay !
 Oh and got to see what Norm MacDonald looks like instead of green snot . Double Yay!!
Just not funny enough perhaps or just lame story telling . Or not caring about the Love lifes of every crew member as it seems this show (the Orville) seems more of a show
like sex in the city . More about relations ( Gay-Straight-Robot-Transgendered-Next Bestiality unless making it with the snot ball was that) and practical jokes and horseplay. Again Going down The orville is .

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2019, 03:56:41 PM »
one or two episodes ago on "The Grand Tour" they had a Human on Donkey scene... yes, their was no need for that, however, people that are blind to these types of activities in other countries ( including suppression of rights ) should also wake up and smell what the rock is cooking.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2019, 05:50:04 PM »
well no real review there .
 Just your thoughts about the reviews of others .
 However being I have not read any other reviews than in this sub forum I can not comment on the comments of them.
 Spock is not even in it yet really and even if so it would be only the 3rd one portraying the part .
 There been more Spider-mans,hulks,Peter pans, Transformers ect ect ect remakes , re boots , redo's what evers .
Discovery is not a remake or re boot .

I'm pretty sure I laid out my problems with the show when it was released. I didn't care for the first 2 episodes at all and saw no reason to continue. Why pay for something when the 'preview' sucks? Most of what I didn't like (the tone, etc) seems to have only been amplified in subsequent episodes so I'd imagine no, I wouldn't like those either.. I'm certainly not interested in paying for it.

As far as Spock, unlike Peter Pan, Spider-Man and the rest.. the role of Spock originated with Leonard Nimoy. He wasn't just the first actor to play an already established character.

Honestly I'm not very interested in rehashing old The Original Series. It's been done by well.. the original cast. If you want an update there's the new movie series which was hit or miss. I don't really have any great need to revisit these characters.. again. Like many fans I was hoping for something new and not a re-tread. People are sick of reboots/re-imaginings/prequels/etc for a reason.

The fact that they are contractually obligated to not be 100% accurate to the original show makes doing a remake all the more dumb.

it is original content and not knowing which Multi verse it is it still follows the rules of star trek and follows a lot of the TOS happenings
I enjoy it and thought more would as Star wars is a mess .

To me Star Trek isn't dark or about explosions and war.. at least not as the focus. Sure Deep Space Nine got into that.. and did a good job of it.. but they were able to keep their footing. Discovery's 'new content' isn't compelling to me. I don't like the characters, I didn't find the universe interesting. I simply wasn't interested in seeing more.. unlike the Orville which I do enjoy.

The Captain PIKE thing took me by surprise but liked it and he is spot on lookalike to the T.O.S Pike .
Long Live and Prosper .

We just had a new Captain Pike a few years ago.. I don't need to go back to that. And does the new guy look like Jeffrey Hunter? I don't know that I got that.. but it doesn't really matter.

The Orville episode with the robot love story is a Ripoff of the Han Solo movie . Robot love side story . yay !
 Oh and got to see what Norm MacDonald looks like instead of green snot . Double Yay!!
Just not funny enough perhaps or just lame story telling . Or not caring about the Love lifes of every crew member as it seems this show (the Orville) seems more of a show
like sex in the city . More about relations ( Gay-Straight-Robot-Transgendered-Next Bestiality unless making it with the snot ball was that) and practical jokes and horseplay. Again Going down The orville is .

Orville was more likely inspired by the episode of TNG where Data tried to date versus Solo. Yes Orville is derivative but it's fun. Even though it's familiar there's enough there to make it still fun to watch.

Discovery on the other hand is just digging up old characters again because some suit thinks that's what will be popular... that's a bigger turn off to me than a familiar plot line. Discovery is TV by committee (or perhaps morons I'm not sure). You can at least tell the Orville has some heart behind it versus the souless machine many of the other SCI-FI shows have at their core (Discovery included)

And hey I'm actually not a fan of Seth McFarlane.. I don't like Famiy Guy nor do I find it funny.. however the humor on the Orville has a good balance and has of yet not become an issue for me. I do like Norm Macdonald quite a bit so the blob character is fun for me.. a lot more fun than a mumble-mouth 'Sorta-Klingon' character ala Discovery.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2019, 05:56:07 PM »
one or two episodes ago on "The Grand Tour" they had a Human on Donkey scene... yes, their was no need for that, however, people that are blind to these types of activities in other countries ( including suppression of rights ) should also wake up and smell what the rock is cooking.

Note: If you'll turn your attention to the Gift Shop you'll find available for purchase the Hamster-English dictionary. It is 30 pages and includes schematics.

Offline PinFever

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2019, 06:00:27 PM »
 ;D Bravo and thanks

Offline CUJO

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2019, 07:07:41 PM »
I'm still liking the Orville. Enjoying Manifest a lot more too.
And Curse of Oak Island. WOW! These guys keep digging. How the heck did a undocumented concrete wall get poured/built 8 feet below sea level in Smith's Cove? Show still is peaking my interest.
These three shows are a must watch for me!
Current Pins: ST:PRO,MET:PRO, SOUTH PARK, WOZECLE#947, BOP, FGY, TSPP, ST:TNG, KINGS OF STEEL, FRANKENSTEIN, DM, PHARAOH, LOST IN SPACE, STINGRAY, WCS94, METEOR, SPACE JAM, AMIGO, POPEYE, ALIEN POKER, CAVEMAN, HOUDINI, DILE#0829, MBrLE#0566, IM PRO, RUSH PRO, CCRLE#327
Video:  Vertical/ w/BABYSTAR 465 in 1 BOARD
Past Pins: Shaq Attaq, X-Files, Space Station #1, WhoDunnit?, Space Mission, Bally Lost World, Space Station #2, MotorDome

Offline PinPup

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2019, 12:52:22 AM »
Still watching the Orville but it stays on the dvr a while at times. It is really failing as a Trek satire, only mildly amusing. I get MANY more laughs and enjoyment from the Original Trek than this rehash. The original interplay between Kirk, Spock, and Bones was great. Even Scotty. What do you think I am, a bloomin' cuckoo clock?
Games Owned: Fish Tales,, Countdown, Joker Poker (YES!), DWHO, EATPM, GRAND LIZARD, 60 Multicade
Past Games Owned: Gilligan's Island,Stock Car EM, Cherry Bell, Black Pyramid, Jokerz!, Hang Glider, Capt. Fantastic, Nip-It, Pro Pool, Dimension, Bally Supreme (wood rail) Genco Spitfire (wood rail). Arcade: Defender, Robbie Roto. (Got carried away at an auction on Roto, sheesh!) WTB: Alien Poker, Paragon, Surfin' Safari, Eight Ball Delux.

Offline CUJO

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2019, 08:35:25 PM »
Wow Anyone see Part 1 of Identity?
Show is amazing. Best special effects/graphics yet for a TV show.
Theater quality episode....
Current Pins: ST:PRO,MET:PRO, SOUTH PARK, WOZECLE#947, BOP, FGY, TSPP, ST:TNG, KINGS OF STEEL, FRANKENSTEIN, DM, PHARAOH, LOST IN SPACE, STINGRAY, WCS94, METEOR, SPACE JAM, AMIGO, POPEYE, ALIEN POKER, CAVEMAN, HOUDINI, DILE#0829, MBrLE#0566, IM PRO, RUSH PRO, CCRLE#327
Video:  Vertical/ w/BABYSTAR 465 in 1 BOARD
Past Pins: Shaq Attaq, X-Files, Space Station #1, WhoDunnit?, Space Mission, Bally Lost World, Space Station #2, MotorDome

Offline PinPup

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2019, 06:39:58 AM »
YES! Part 1 Identity is one of the best trek type episodes that I have ever seen. Great, effects, great production values, great story. Right up there with the best Borg and Q stories and the best of classic Trek. And it was an original idea, not a rehash of older trek ideas. Can't wait to see part 2, though I think I know how this will end. This could be a turning point for the show, many episodes have just been meh. Come on Orville, LET'S GO!
Games Owned: Fish Tales,, Countdown, Joker Poker (YES!), DWHO, EATPM, GRAND LIZARD, 60 Multicade
Past Games Owned: Gilligan's Island,Stock Car EM, Cherry Bell, Black Pyramid, Jokerz!, Hang Glider, Capt. Fantastic, Nip-It, Pro Pool, Dimension, Bally Supreme (wood rail) Genco Spitfire (wood rail). Arcade: Defender, Robbie Roto. (Got carried away at an auction on Roto, sheesh!) WTB: Alien Poker, Paragon, Surfin' Safari, Eight Ball Delux.

Offline JimB

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2019, 07:50:29 AM »
Agreed but the old guard helped with the writing.  Thanks to Brannon Braga.
PINS - TSPP, STTNG, POTC, Munsters, 24, STLE, bm66, Aerosmith

Offline Centaur Brother

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2019, 10:48:59 AM »
I agree, was an awesome episode. I have seen a trend in how the content has changed.  1st few shows had a lot of comedy in them and now its much more subtle. I prefer it this way, hope that trend continues and the subject matter is where the comedy lies and the subtle comedy one liners thrown in.
The Pin Cave

"Keep On Flippin"

Offline PinFever

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2019, 12:40:23 PM »
The Show is Crap !

As written by a blogger named scienceadvisor'

The show is juvenile and the (few) jokes tend to fall flat, are amazingly predictable, as are the story elements. The miscasting of most of the crew as well as the logical dissonance between them acting that disfunctionally while surviving the rigors of space is far too much of a suspension of disbelief. Talla (Szohr) replacing Xelayan (Sage) was a terrible casting mistake. She is nearly as frail looking (physically) but does not have the same presence, so the void is palpable.

In season two it does hit some points where it is just copying just enough elements of past ST episodes (across all series to avoid copyright charges) and achieves moments of respectability. However those rare episodes are destroyed with ones like A Happy Refrain (episode 6).

I miss the promise of the series premier when the only truly memorable joke was told (anti-banana ray), and the only real comedic action was taken (killed a ship with tree). Since then it has been all downhill. For the shills handing out 10s, if this is so great why are the viewer numbers closing in on the cancellation range?
The numbers never lie, and at this rate the show will be axed by Fox, never seeing season three. I know I am not going to waste any more time hoping MacFarlane can figure out what kind of a show he wants to make. At this stage, I think the South Park joke of Seth using "idea balls" to create random story points are far more likely. That he is using a tank of Manatee to combine them is still pretty unlikely.

"Does it work on salad?" - Last great Orville joke so far (Season 1 episode 1)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:41:55 PM by PinFever »

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2019, 03:41:06 PM »
The Show is Crap and basically a Trek rip off.

OK man we got you, you don't like Orville..  :)

Obviously just different tastes as I think most of the people who like Orville probably don't care for Discovery much.