Author Topic: TAF Won't enter Test Mode or Coin Up  (Read 3362 times)

Offline lutesaware

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
TAF Won't enter Test Mode or Coin Up
« on: November 29, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
Have a friend that has a pristine TAF and after changing the batteries it won't coin up.  It boots up and give all the start up messages then indicates zero credits.  It won't coin up or allow me to enter the test mode/ set up to change it to Free Play.  I haven't messed with these for a long time, so I've forgotten where to start.  I'd appreciate some guidance. 

Thanks
Tom
Tom

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: TAF Won't enter Test Mode or Coin Up
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:39:22 PM »
There's a door switch that closes when you open the door, that lets you into the settings.  It's probably stuck open.  Then you can check the connector inside the door next to the tilt, it might be disconnected/unplugged from the input board.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline k7

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 08:53:34 PM »
hopefully not your case, but I purchased a getaway years ago, that did everything, except it would not coin up and had some issues getting into the menus.

it was a bad MPU. corroded diodes from battery leakage/damage.

a bad door switch shouldn't affect you entering the menus. actually, it's most likely good if the machine is saying Insert Coins.

inspect that MPU for corrosion. good luck.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Mamushka

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »
Have a friend that has a pristine TAF and after changing the batteries it won't coin up.

Were the old batteries corroded?
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline RAW POWER

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Raw Power Amusements / The Pinball Lounge
    • The Pinball Lounge
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 10:37:08 PM »
If no corrosion, Check the connectors on bottom of cpu board. I believe it's the orange wires on the bottom left. It's probably corrosion though :(

Offline lutesaware

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 07:14:10 AM »
I didn't see the old batteries, he changed them before I looked at the machine. 

As for the switch on the door, that was the first thing I checked. 

I suspect that I'm not getting any power to the door . . .  I just remembered that the lights on the coin slots were not illuminated.

It's been several years since I did any trouble shooting, just looking for some ideas to refresh my memory.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions . . . this is what I love best about this forum.
Tom

Offline atarijim

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 11:17:33 AM »
Check the harness from the coin door to the interconnect pcb in the cabinet - the pins often break and if the ground lead is broken, none of the test switches will work; accounts for the lights not working also on separate pins.

aj

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 03:49:20 PM »
Check the harness from the coin door to the interconnect pcb in the cabinet - the pins often break and if the ground lead is broken, none of the test switches will work; accounts for the lights not working also on separate pins.

aj

That board AJ is talking about is to the left of the door.  I think I have a brand new one of those I bought years ago.  If its interchangeable with your game, and yours is broke, your welcome to it if you can't fix yours.

Offline WannaTheater

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »
You are welcome to remove the MPU and bring it up here (Odessa).  I can swap it in mine and see if the problem follows it-
If interested, PM me.
Pins: Iron Maiden, The Addams Family, Simpsons Pinball Party, Fish Tales, Goldeneye, Terminator 2, No Fear
Arcade: Galaga (MAME), Ice Cold Beer, Defender (JROK-multi), Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr

Offline lutesaware

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
The machine is just south of Ocala; I'll be going up there next Wednesday to take a better look at it.  I'll check for the broken ground and take a closer look at the boards.

Thanks again for the tips and offers to swap boards.  ILYK.

Tom
Tom

Offline k7

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
if he used duracells, just bring an MPU with you, because those crap batteries probably corroded it all to hell. :-X

bring a couple of 555 bulbs too...coin lights may just be burnt out, but a quick bulb swap will verify that issue.

TZ uses the same MPU as my getaway...mine had corrosion that you could only see close up, killed by garbage batteries in it...I actually still have that MPU sitting here for a doorstop, somewhere. same issues...insert coin message, would not enter menus, and volume could only be turned up...not down.

hopefully, you can reseat connections or use great advice given here and get him up and running. good luck.  :) am curious to see what happened. snap some pictures.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:01:11 PM by k7 »
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline CUJO

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 07:23:39 PM »
hopefully not your case, but I purchased a getaway years ago, that did everything, except it would not coin up and had some issues getting into the menus.

it was a bad MPU. corroded diodes from battery leakage/damage.

a bad door switch shouldn't affect you entering the menus. actually, it's most likely good if the machine is saying Insert Coins.

inspect that MPU for corrosion. good luck.

Yep, that's what my Popeye did after I got it home. It was corroded connectors at the bottom of the CPU board. Lots of them..
I cleaned them up, put an ext. battery on it but 4 years later, the acid came back even after a half a$$ cleaning I gave the board so now on a Rottendog CPU board for good measure.
Current Pins: ST:PRO,MET:PRO, SOUTH PARK, WOZECLE#947, BOP, FGY, TSPP, ST:TNG, KINGS OF STEEL, FRANKENSTEIN, DM, PHARAOH, LOST IN SPACE, STINGRAY, WCS94, METEOR, SPACE JAM, AMIGO, POPEYE, ALIEN POKER, CAVEMAN, HOUDINI, DILE#0829, MBrLE#0566, IM PRO, RUSH PRO, CCRLE#327
Video:  Vertical/ w/BABYSTAR 465 in 1 BOARD
Past Pins: Shaq Attaq, X-Files, Space Station #1, WhoDunnit?, Space Mission, Bally Lost World, Space Station #2, MotorDome

Offline lutesaware

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 07:22:37 AM »
I don't think it is CPU corrosion, I put a remote battery holder on it a couple of years ago.  I am going to take new Duracells and bulbs.  Plan to eliminate the simple things first. 

Thanks again to everyone for your tips and suggestions.

I'll report back here what I find out next Wednesday.
Tom

Offline lutesaware

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »
Well I went up to Ocala to day and got into the TAF.  Here's what I found:

No power to the coin door.  No light in the "start" button.

CPU boot properly, with the correct LED displays on the board.  All fuses checked out good.  No burnt or broken connectors on any boards.  No loose or disconnected wires.

I did find some anomalies with the connectors and the printed information in the manual:  Coin door connector runs through the Coin Door Interface board to J206 and J208 on the CPU - this machine has them plugged into J207 and J209 (directly underneath - same key plug).  Don't know if someone took them off and put them back in the wrong slots, I switched them to the proper slots with no affect.

On the Coin Door Interface the schmatic calls for a connector at J5 for the Test Switch, Service Credit Switch, Coin Slots, etc.  There is no J5, that connector is connected to J3 with corresponding identifications for the ground, coin slots, etc.  Is this an upgrade?  A misprint in the manual?

I ran a jumper off the Coin Door Interface J3 ground connector and was able to get to go into the Utilities.  The service switch, + switch, and test switch all worked, but the - switch did not.  With the ground jumper I still had no power to the rest of the coin door and the start button was still dead.

I changed the machine to free play and it was holding those settings after 30 minutes of being turned off.

I'm a little over my head on this one and sure could use some ideas.  I don't want to drag the machine down here.  It is in a game room over his garage with a two-landing, turning set of stairs.  Besides, it was a Treasure Cove high end restoration and it was delivered by professional movers.  I've tuned it up, put on a remote battery holder, replaced bulbs, shopped the playfield, and installed new rubbers over the years - but we've never had any "board" issues.  It sat unplayed for about a year and these problems were discovered when the owner replaced the batteries last month.

Hope somebody out there can help me figure this out.

Tom
Tom

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 05:16:38 PM »
When will you be going back?  I'll try to make up a chart that might help. 
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.