Author Topic: S-hole countries  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Yosho

• Original Member
  • Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: S-hole countries
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 07:30:31 PM »
So I was thinking about this in a slightly different way... what did we really see this week?

Tuesday, Trump "held court" and appeared uncharacteristicly moderate, reasonable, in command, and dare we say it... Presidental.  He had the momentum and control of the future compromise that would be worked out.  The press gushed, and the coverage (particularly from Liberal outlets) was surprisingly positive.  He could apply pressure to either side if they didn't compromise moving forward.  Unless something radically changed, a wall was likely to happen in some form, chain migration largely ended, merit based immigration standards enacted, and a way forward for millions of illegal immigrants to remain in this country and be incorporated.  So what happened a few days later?  Public embarrassment over a supposed private conversation, a need to deny divisive and damaging language based on his word alone, a complete loss of control over crafting and compelling a compromise, in summary, a complete reversal of political power.  Was this simply Trump being Trump or was this engineered by his enemies and all those who stand to gain by a failure of comprehensive immigration reform?  The last Republican to try this was Sen Rubio, and not only did he fail, but he also was left politically damaged and weak.

Offline Mamushka

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 12:57:32 AM »
Does it serve US interests for our President to refer to some countries as shitholes?  No, never.....

The funny thing is that people are always wringing their hands how politicians will not tell the truth and they just want someone in office who be honest and will tell it like it is. Well Trump (apparently) called a shithole country a shithole country. And now there are many politicians who are shocked that someone would say this, even though they themselves probably refer to shithole country's as shitholes in private.

So now the people who lamented about how politicians spin facts and will not tell the truth are outraged when a politician actually tells the truth. The message being broadcasted? If you are a politician you better spin the truth and lie because if you tell the truth the people will try and eat you.

Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline Rich Jax

• ...and sometimes the baar eats you.
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 07:36:08 AM »
It is possible to tell the truth and still maintain the level of decorum and professionalism required of one's position.  We all do it all day, every day.

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 09:41:21 AM »
It is possible to tell the truth and still maintain the level of decorum and professionalism required of one's position.  We all do it all day, every day.

So you think Trump is the only president that has said something inappropriate during a closed door meeting?
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's

Offline mcluvin

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »
The funny thing is that people are always wringing their hands how politicians will not tell the truth and they just want someone in office who be honest and will tell it like it is. Well Trump (apparently) called a shithole country a shithole country. And now there are many politicians who are shocked that someone would say this, even though they themselves probably refer to shithole country's as shitholes in private.

So now the people who lamented about how politicians spin facts and will not tell the truth are outraged when a politician actually tells the truth. The message being broadcasted? If you are a politician you better spin the truth and lie because if you tell the truth the people will try and eat you.

You are the POTUS.  You lead the greatest country in the world, and are considered the leader of the free world.  There are US citizens, diplomats, and soldiers in most of these countries.  Every word out of your mouth is analyzed and can have an impact on them.  When speaking to a group, which is the best choice to describe Haiti?

A. Shit hole

B. 3rd World

C. Less Fortunate

Though all 3 choices could be considered true, anyone who gave a damn, or had an ounce of compassion, would not chose A.  Please spare me the private discussion excuse because Trump should have figured out long ago that nothing he says in a group is private.

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 10:57:48 AM »
who cares?

we're outraged by something trump does every week. well, some are outraged. others go on with life.

depending on where you live and your upbringing, the US could be a sh#&hole.

we all know what countries, in general, suck balls. now let me go grope an actress, it's been a week...
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline WannaTheater

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 11:14:00 AM »
Tuesday, Trump "held court" and appeared uncharacteristicly moderate, reasonable, in command, and dare we say it... Presidental.
That is not what I saw.  I saw a man who did not understand the details and ramifications of both sides of arguments that were being presented.  He basically said he would sign whatever was put in front of him.  I do not see that as leadership.

Gotta run-  We are planning a trip to Mexico and I need to quickly teach the kids words like Sh!thole, and how Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers.  But I will teach them that they can only call Mexico a Sh!thole in private.  And to only call Mexicans rapists and drug dealers in private.  Because that is OK.   

Perhaps we can start a new thread defending all of the "fine people" in the KKK.
Pins: Iron Maiden, The Addams Family, Simpsons Pinball Party, Fish Tales, Goldeneye, Terminator 2, No Fear
Arcade: Galaga (MAME), Ice Cold Beer, Defender (JROK-multi), Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 11:58:27 AM »
You are the POTUS.  You lead the greatest country in the world, and are considered the leader of the free world.  There are US citizens, diplomats, and soldiers in most of these countries.  Every word out of your mouth is analyzed and can have an impact on them.  When speaking to a group, which is the best choice to describe Haiti?

A. Shit hole

B. 3rd World

C. Less Fortunate

Though all 3 choices could be considered true, anyone who gave a damn, or had an ounce of compassion, would not chose A.  Please spare me the private discussion excuse because Trump should have figured out long ago that nothing he says in a group is private.

Sorry, I had no idea I am in the presence of someone who is morally pure and who has never once in their life said or though anything even remotely degrading about a group of people. Because if you had you would, in your view, be a deplorably racist piece of shit. You sir have my vote for sainthood when you decide to run.

In all seriousness, I'm glad you agree all of your 3 statements are true. I just need a little guidance here, "3rd world" or "less fortunate" are acceptable code words for shithole, correct?

Offline Yosho

• Original Member
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 12:01:30 PM »
Is Mexico a s-hole country?  I wouldn't want to live there or take my family there, but you be the judge.  Hopefully you're only considering going to one of the safer "resort" communities that are heavily guarded for Americans and not the rest of Mexico where you know... most normal Mexicans are forced to live.  I can say I feel sorry for the good people of Mexico who have to live in such a dangerous and dysfunctional country.  In all seriousness, please be safe if you are headed to Mexico.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/mexican-states-us-travel-warning-52263785

5 Mexican states get highest US 'do not travel' warning

By MARK STEVENSON, ASSOCIATED PRESS MEXICO CITY — Jan 10, 2018, 4:36 PM ET

Five states in Mexico now have the sternest "do not travel" advisories under a revamped U.S. State Department system unveiled Wednesday, putting them on the same level as war-torn countries like Syria, Yemen and Somalia.

The five states are Tamaulipas on the U.S. border and Sinaloa, Colima, Michoacan and Guerrero on the Pacific coast. All the states are hotspots of drug cartel activity, either hosting trafficking routes or extensive drug-crop cultivation.

The State Department had previously discouraged travel to all or part of those states but the new warnings are sterner, placing them on a level 4 warning, the highest level of potential danger.

Mexico as a whole has a level 2 rating, meaning Americans should "exercise increased caution" because of concerns about crime. But an additional 11 Mexican states got a level 3 warning Wednesday, which urges people to "reconsider travel" there. Mexico has 31 states, half of which are now under level 3 or 4 warnings.

Those states where Americans are urged to reconsider travel include the State of Mexico — Mexico's most populous state, which includes most suburbs of Mexico City — and Jalisco, home to the city of Guadalajara, the Puerto Vallarta resorts and the lakeside expat community of Chapala and Ajijic. But the travel advisory said there are "no restrictions on U.S. government employees for stays in ... Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Chapala, and Ajijic."

Mexico's federal tourism department was not immediately available to comment on the new warnings.

Most of northern Mexico, including the border states of Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon and Sonora as well as Durango, Zacatecas and San Luis Potosi, are under level 3 warnings.

Some of the states have long been off limits for U.S. government employees. Last year, the State Department extended a total ban on personal travel by U.S. government personnel to Guerrero.

U.S. personnel had previously been allowed to fly to the resort of Ixtapa, the last place in Guerrero where they had been allowed to go. Personal travel by land and to the resort city of Acapulco had already been prohibited.

Tamaulipas has long been riven by turf wars between rival drug cartels, and Sinaloa is home to the cartel of the same name. Michoacan was so dominated by a drug cartel that vigilantes took up arms in 2013 to drive them out.

Colima has seen homicides skyrocket in recent years due to the growth of the Jalisco New Generation drug cartel, and the state now has Mexico's highest homicide rate, with 83.3 killings per 100,000 residents, according to figures for the first 11 months of 2017.

The state with second-highest homicide rate — 61.6 per 100,000 — was Baja California Sur, home to the twin resorts of Los Cabos. The state conserved its level 2 advisory, "exercise increased caution," despite a series of shootouts and killings in recent months.

Rising levels of violence have not so far affected Los Cabos, which saw a 16 percent increase in tourism arrivals and an 18 percent rise in hotel occupancy in 2017, said Rodrigo Esponda, managing director of the Los Cabos Tourism Board.

Esponda said local officials and tourism operators are investing in increased security, including camera systems and the construction of a new marine base.

"We are going to keep working very hard in 2018 to make sure that Los Cabos continues as a safe destination," Esponda said.

Speaking to local media earlier this week, Tourism Secretary Enrique De la Madrid said, "In my opinion, the most important challenge we have in the tourism sector are crime events occurring where they didn't before, for example in Cancun, la Paz and Los Cabos."
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:07:35 PM by Yosho »

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »
Is Mexico a s-hole country?  I wouldn't want to live there or take my family there, but you be the judge.  Hopefully you're only considering going to one of the safer "resort" communities that are heavily guarded for Americans and not the rest of Mexico where you know... most normal Mexicans are forced to live.  I can say I feel sorry for the good people of Mexico who have to live in such a dangerous and dysfunctional country.  In all seriousness, please be safe if you are headed to Mexico.

Yes, it appears that Mexico is truly a "3rd world" (wink, wink) country. ;)

Offline mcluvin

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 12:41:35 PM »
Sorry, I had no idea I am in the presence of someone who is morally pure and who has never once in their life said or though anything even remotely degrading about a group of people. Because if you had you would, in your view, be a deplorably racist piece of shit. You sir have my vote for sainthood when you decide to run.

In all seriousness, I'm glad you agree all of your 3 statements are true. I just need a little guidance here, "3rd world" or "less fortunate" are acceptable code words for shithole, correct?

What?  How did you come up with all of that from what I've posted? 

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 12:49:48 PM »
What?  How did you come up with all of that from what I've posted?

"Though all 3 choices could be considered true, anyone who gave a damn, or had an ounce of compassion, would not chose A."

By your own words you would have no compassion if you ever uttered the word shithole when describing a country. And let's face it, if you think that a place is a shithole but just don't verbalize it, well that would also show a lack of compassion would it not?

Offline mcluvin

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 01:55:53 PM »
"Though all 3 choices could be considered true, anyone who gave a damn, or had an ounce of compassion, would not chose A."

By your own words you would have no compassion if you ever uttered the word shithole when describing a country. And let's face it, if you think that a place is a shithole but just don't verbalize it, well that would also show a lack of compassion would it not?

You are making huge assumptions.  Instead of reasoning, you are attacking,  being argumentative, and talking around the question.  Read those first few words again.  You are the POTUS.  Are you telling me you think shit hole is the best response, or even an OK response?  I'm asking you, rather than just jumping to that conclusion.

Offline kbvette

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »

Oh great...this guy from a shithole country wants to be president next.
Pins Fish Tales,XMEN LE,DM,Iron Man,Corvette,

Offline Baiter

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »
WTB: Defender, Embryon