Author Topic: thoughts on a pinball pro giving a class or classes at FPF 2018  (Read 1199 times)

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
hi all

was just thinking about FPF 2018.  We usually have the arcade legends there but for this year I would really like to see a big name there giving lessons on how to be a better player.  And just playing more isnt going to magically put knowledge in your head.   think bowen is an awesome teacher from seeing his PAPA tutorials.  Maybe Elwin or any ideas of anyone else?

I think it would be a fun seminar and maybe spend time with him to get his point of view on what each person should focus on.  not sure if time will permit but there is hopes.  maybe a range from basics 101 to mid level 201 and a 3rd session to see if you can hang with a big timer.

Would be a way to get more people interested and understanding how to play pinball.  Heck maybe get the spouse to go too!

Thoughts? ideas?  i guess since i brought it up that if there is enough interest that i could do the leg work and volunteer for it.

vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline pinballcorpse

• Level 10: Timelord
  • Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
Re: thoughts on a pinball pro giving a class or classes at FPF 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 12:05:57 AM »
Brian Dominy and I presented a Tournament Pinball 101 seminar at the Pinball Asylum a few years back.  It was pretty well received and generated some new players into the Florida Tournament Pinball scene.

I would expect that if someone like Bowen or Elwin were giving a seminar at FPF, it would generate a lot of interest. I would go :)
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline DK

• Account retired
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 02:16:52 AM »
Brian Dominy and I presented a Tournament Pinball 101 seminar at the Pinball Asylum a few years back.  It was pretty well received and generated some new players into the Florida Tournament Pinball scene.

I would expect that if someone like Bowen or Elwin were giving a seminar at FPF, it would generate a lot of interest. I would go :)
Sign me up!!!

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 03:11:23 AM »

I would think most of us could learn PLENTY from our state Champion and others like Eric Stone, Brian Domininy, Dancey, and a lot of the tournament regulars. I'm sure any and all of you could give plenty of pointers and advice to the masses. Just something to think about.

Offline WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• It's showtime!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 08:52:38 AM »
I would think most of us could learn PLENTY from our state Champion and others like Eric Stone, Brian Domininy, Dancey, and a lot of the tournament regulars. I'm sure any and all of you could give plenty of pointers and advice to the masses. Just something to think about.

+1

I learn quite a bit just watching the regulars play; A guided session would be great.

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 08:58:45 AM »

I was thinking who in the heck is “Dancey” and realized you must mean Dan C. as in Dan Coyle :)
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline Pinsanity

• Level 5: Power User!
Pins: TWD Prem, STH prem, Twilight Zone, Alien LV, Jaws Premium, Time Machine - DE

Offline busa32927

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »
love tgat evetyone likes the idea.  how about a list of wanted pinball guys or girls

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline the architect

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Tournament pinball is fun
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 11:53:34 AM »
Andre massencoff and bowen did this at replay fx last year and it was pretty cool. I thought it needed someone playing a game while the other person announced strategy, and what shots were next.

The way it was presented was mainly them discussing flipper control, locations to hit ball on flipper for proper direction, etc. to a seasoned/moderately seasoned player it was not all that interesting.
Jumping jack, rush pro, argosy,

On loan- LUCKY HAND

Offline busa32927

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 12:36:19 PM »
great info.  lets build off of that.  maybe another session for the advanced player.  i wonder if we coukd have a couple pins in the room and have them watch as eaxh person play and give them tips.   that will make it more personal and direct help alomg with the basic knowledge.

Offline bjones

• Administrator
  • Game Collector
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »
This has been on my list of things that needed to find a way to eventually happen at FPF for years, awesome to see it get some traction and hopefully volunteers to make it work! 

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 04:42:50 PM »
Andre massencoff and bowen did this at replay fx last year and it was pretty cool. I thought it needed someone playing a game while the other person announced strategy, and what shots were next.

The way it was presented was mainly them discussing flipper control, locations to hit ball on flipper for proper direction, etc. to a seasoned/moderately seasoned player it was not all that interesting.

I think most things are going to be based on catering to the new players, and at a large show, I would expect the seminar to be for new players.  That is the easiest, since there are so many broadstroke topics. 

For an advanced class, I would think it would almost be how to attack specific games to reach a score/goal, situational awareness topics in tourneys, reading/knowing your opponents, when to chose game versus position, things like that.       

Regardless, I would attend because I like to gain other players' perspectives even on basic stuff.

Offline bertodrink1

• Level 2: Villager
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 06:30:27 PM »
I would go for sure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline jmsvero

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 07:28:09 PM »
I think we need to get a date and a thumbs up on FPF for next year. Heard nothing but crickets.
Ace High,Air Way(2),Ballyhoo(2),Baffle Ball,Bank-A-Ball,Brokers Tip,Bumper,Canon Fire Jr.,Contact Master,Criss Cross A Lite,Daisy,Drop Kick,Five Star Final,Flash SR.,Fleet(2),Flying Colors Jr,Golden Gate,Good Luck,Goofy,Harvest Moon,Hi Ball,Hunter,Jockey Club,Leland,Lightning,Majestic Jr.,Mat-Cha-Skor,Merry Go Round,Mills Official Pin Table,Mini Mills,Oh Yeah,One-Two-Three,Pearl Harbor,Play-Boy,Pla-Girl,Polo,Pros-Per-E-Ti,Rainbow,Rambler,Red&Blue,Scoop,Sensation,Signal,Silver Cup,Sky Ride,Sprint,Stevo Ball,Tip Top,Traffic,Whirl -It,Wild Widow,World series

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 07:25:03 AM »
I was thinking who in the heck is “Dancey” and realized you must mean Dan C. as in Dan Coyle :)

Yeah, when I first heard his name I heard it as "Dancey"... As in "one who dances"... So it just stuck with me, his own secret code name.  It threw ME off when I started wondering who the heck everyone was saying Dan "C" was ! :) ... And sorry Brian D, I see I put too many  "Domininy's" on the name... But it was probably auto correct again screwing it up.