Author Topic: How to light and hang a playfield  (Read 847 times)

Offline TimothyC

• Level 8: Psi Corps
How to light and hang a playfield
« on: April 30, 2018, 10:47:56 AM »
I was quite lucky with the raffle at Curly's and came home with some playfields that I'd like to hang as wall art.  Since the playfields have been trimmed at the bottom they will never be more than wall art so I can staple, screw, whatever to the bottom of the playfield.  I did a quick cursory search last night looking for tips and hints on how to do it and of course saw several posts on pinside on the subject, but figured I would ask you guys here for input/tips/tricks as well. 

I read about a killer sounding product (airfield from ledseq.com) to light it, but that product was discontinued last year so I'm thinking some sort of variable pattern twinkling lights/led strip instead.  I'll need to add some sort of support rails on the back as well as they are already warping...

Please post pics of your setup if you've got some on your walls or ceilings :)

Offline mpd

• Level 1: Arrival
Re: How to light and hang a playfield
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
I was also lucky enough to get a playfield (the one I really wanted) at Curly's and I am thinking about making it into a coffee table that would light up and would also be interested in how lighting could be done for it?

Offline WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• It's showtime!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
You could do this with those led strips cut and positioned appropriately or use and arduino. It depends how fancy you want to get.

As for the mounting, I've seen a few large picture frames with a slot cut in the for the PF. Again, it's all about how fancy you want to go.

I have a nice Hook pf that I'll be doing this with. Will probably try the RGB strips first since the can get be easily cut up and then soldered together with wire. The one additional thing I'll be doing is covering the non-insert holes with a black material. Probably a heavy plastic or felt. all depends on my mood I guess.

Offline ratsflif

• All your base
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 03:35:46 PM »
Christmas tree lights

Offline Cloud2Ground

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
I was quite lucky with the raffle at Curly's and came home with some playfields that I'd like to hang as wall art.
What did you get Tim?
" The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity " - The Lord of Darkness/Tim Curry

Offline Marshall

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • LittleShopOfGames.com
    • Little Shop of Games | 24 Hour Arcade
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 07:35:10 PM »

I read about a killer sounding product (airfield from ledseq.com) to light it, but that product was discontinued last year so I'm thinking some sort of variable pattern twinkling lights/led strip instead.  I'll need to add some sort of support rails on the back as well as they are already warping...

[/size]

Their main page is down, but others parts of the site are live -
http://ledseq.com/shop/

Little Shop Of Games / LSOG | Florida’s Pinball Showroom and Parts Storefront and Authorized Stern, Jersey Jack and Chicago Gaming Company Distributors. We Buy, Sell, RENT and Trade New and Used Pinball Machines and ship Parts and Games Worldwide!

LittleShopOfGames.com | 24HourArcade.com
24408 State Road 54, Lutz, FL 33559
SHOP: 813-944-4900 | Cell: 813-951-1602 | MON - FRI 11-7

Offline IlikeGame

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 06:51:27 AM »
Why not use a 5v Transformer. 5v 1 amp should light up all the GI.

Offline TimothyC

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 12:14:51 PM »
What did you get Tim?

Gaurdians of the Galaxy
Ghostbusters

I'll probably do the GB first to figure it out and then do GotG once I've got it figured out as I want that one to be perfect  :P 8).  Although Batman would have been my first choice overall, GotG was my second favorite out of all the awesome choices so I'm super geeked to have won it. 

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 06:09:01 PM »
as ratsflif said, just do the chinese LED christmas light mod. cheap, and cannot screw it up:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzFJcDL3QAA#

made that 5 years ago. also, never say never...i would be able to fix any chopped playfield and put it into a machine. ;D
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 01:00:09 AM »
Gaurdians of the Galaxy
Ghostbusters

I'll probably do the GB first to figure it out and then do GotG once I've got it figured out as I want that one to be perfect  :P 8).  Although Batman would have been my first choice overall, GotG was my second favorite out of all the awesome choices so I'm super geeked to have won it.

I could save you lots of time by just taking GoTG off your hands!  If you or anyone else has a pf available, I'd be interested...  thanks  :)
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.