Author Topic: Want to make my own cloud storage  (Read 535 times)

Offline EDC

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Want to make my own cloud storage
« on: July 13, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
I wanted to make my own cloud that I can access from any where with no storage limit and send pics/vids to it from my cell phone and several cameras/devices either through an app or automatically.  what is the best solution to do this and can I do his through a stand-alone NAS or is it better to use a separated server computer?  I was reading about owncloud and it’s app, is that a good solution?  Thanks!, dan
Pins : TRON LE, IM, AVATARLE, ACDC Pro, RBION, STERN PB, STTNG , TS, RG, RBG, W?D, MA, WW, Secret Service, ARENA, Fire! (#2)
For Sale : Arcade monitors, "Gold"eneye, Diner, RBG
Wanted: BBH, Robowar, EBD

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: Want to make my own cloud storage
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »
Personally I've just got 4 Drobos loaded up with 19 hard drives, and external hard drives to back those up to, which stay offline otherwise.

I don't back them up as often as I should, but the Drobos can lose a drive and be fine as long as it's replaced before a second drive dies.

I'm still screwed in the event of a house fire or other major disaster though.

Storing it all on someone else's server in another state would be a good idea, but then you've got to pay for that every month and it'd take freaking forever to upload so many terabytes of data I've already got - on a good day I can get around 100mbps download speeds, but only ever 10mbps upload max (and usually less than that) - and if I tried to upload 24/7 for weeks I'm sure Charter/Spectrum would throttle the connection even further.

Offline WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • It's showtime!
Re: Want to make my own cloud storage
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 01:01:33 AM »
I have an older machine at home with 2 x external RAID arrays. We have gigabit internet so it's plenty fast. For backups I use back blaze unlimited for about $100 a year.