Author Topic: Removing Coin Door Stern TWD for Powder Coating  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Pinsanity

• Level 5: Power User!
Removing Coin Door Stern TWD for Powder Coating
« on: June 13, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »
So i'm removing Coin door from TWD to be powder coated and looks pretty easy (i think). First time doing this. I took a pic of all the wires attached and just need to unscrew the nuts from the inside of cabinet from the 4 pins after disconnecting the wires. Is there anything I need to look out for? Am i missing a step? I want to make sure not hurt my baby lol. Thanks for any input/advice.

--When the door is unscrewed and wires unhooked is it ok to turn the game on still? I have some other mods coming in as well i want to install.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:27:32 PM by PinRush »
Pins: TWD Prem, STH prem, Twilight Zone, Alien LV, Jaws Premium, Time Machine - DE

Offline Weeze

• Level 10: Timelord
  • "Stay away from the French and sick people"
Re: Removing Coin Door Stern TWD for Powder Coating
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 06:00:14 PM »
I hope its ok to kinda sneek into your post, if not please excuse me:
 who you using for the Powder coating, do they do chrome?
are they reasonable in price?
thanks for letting me ask a question or two, hope you figger out that door removal cant be too tuff, after all it went IN right?
 thanks
weeze
Current Pins and Stuff: Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade: Hawknole's Dog

Offline Pinsanity

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 07:20:18 PM »
I hope its ok to kinda sneek into your post, if not please excuse me:
 who you using for the Powder coating, do they do chrome?
are they reasonable in price?
thanks for letting me ask a question or two, hope you figger out that door removal cant be too tuff, after all it went IN right?
 thanks
weeze

no worries Weeze. I saw someone post on here Dan i think about about Prismatic Powders but they are out of Orlando. Prices were 1 stage $200-$250, 2 stage $350-$400. # is 407-422-4090, ask for Jeremy, not sure if he does chrome or not. Good luck!

I think i figured the door removal but might just wait till it gets back to work on mods etc.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:25:49 PM by PinRush »
Pins: TWD Prem, STH prem, Twilight Zone, Alien LV, Jaws Premium, Time Machine - DE

Offline Weeze

• "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 07:27:49 AM »
thank you for that. 
 I shall refrain from commenting furthur.
Current Pins and Stuff: Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade: Hawknole's Dog

Offline k7

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 11:31:15 AM »
i'll comment :)

i had ramps, a coin box lid, and some pieces done in granny smith apple green for my hulk and my cirqus voltaire.

my total cost was under 100 bucks. prismatic seems a tad overpriced. what does a stage represent? powder has different costs.

removing the door is pretty straightforward. you'll have more minor issues stripping the coin buttons, iirc.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:39:29 AM by k7 »
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline scarabaeus

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 11:34:50 AM »
Quote from: k7
i had ramps, a coin box lid, and some pieces done in granny smith apple green for my hulk and my cirqus voltaire.

no pictures means this never happened. :)

;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:37:05 AM by scarabaeus »

Offline k7

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:38:41 AM »
lol. look again. ;)

pics were on another machine.

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 11:46:14 AM »
lol. look again. ;)

pics were on another machine.

That looks great!  Where'd you have it done? And did you prep the metal (strip/sand) before you gave it to them or was that included in the price?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:48:28 AM by scarabaeus »

Offline k7

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 11:56:15 AM »
That looks great!  Where'd you have it done? And did you prep the metal (strip/sand) before you gave it to them or was that included in the price?

acme powdercoating in west palm beach.

i did no prep work. bought parts in loose, he found hulk's exact color, but i would have to order a bag at $175, if i remember correct. a bag of powder would have done a lot. he had granny apple in stock, and it was a 95% match to hulk, and a nice shot in the arm for cirqus, so i stripped parts out of both games that would benefit. i should have done cirqus's wrap around ramp, i just didn't think about it.

parts are 3 years old, i think. except where the ball nails that ramp protector on cirqus, no issue. great guy. i put a thread up somewhere about him.

Offline Pinsanity

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 12:27:39 PM »

i did no prep work. bought parts in loose, he found hulk's exact color, but i would have to order a bag at $175, if i remember correct. a bag of powder would have done a lot. he had granny apple in stock, and it was a 95% match to hulk, and a nice shot in the arm for cirqus, so i stripped parts out of both games that would benefit. i should have done cirqus's wrap around ramp, i just didn't think about it.

parts are 3 years old, i think. except where the ball nails that ramp protector on cirqus, no issue. great guy. i put a thread up somewhere about him.

Oh wait i was confused (wrote prismatic powder next to Jeremy's name) lol, prismatic powders is the website with pics but Jeremy is a place Dan recommended Central Florida Powder Coating to that phone # i posted. Now that is clear  :) I called around to bunch of places but never found one as cheap as you are saying for this color, usually in the $300-$400 range some even higher but if you need to buy the bag $275 total is comparable somewhat. Here is the color I was trying to match or similar on TWD prem.

https://images.nicindustries.com/prismatic/projects/2562/ultra-illusion-green-with-clear-vision-top-coat-1-thumbnail.jpg?size=1024&_ga=2.61222895.23264090.1528993224-62825804.1526612069

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1033-mi-pinball-refinery/00392--mi-pinball-refinery-metallic-green-armor-for-twd-premium-

and dang that Avengers looks sweet!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:49:14 PM by PinRush »

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 01:19:40 PM »

Good info! I'm going to look around locally to see if I can find something around that price range.  If not, I'll hit up ACME.  I'm not married to a specific, matched color for what I need done, so being armed with that info, maybe I can get something reasonably priced.

Offline Pinsanity

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 01:32:29 PM »
Good info! I'm going to look around locally to see if I can find something around that price range.  If not, I'll hit up ACME.  I'm not married to a specific, matched color for what I need done, so being armed with that info, maybe I can get something reasonably priced.

Good luck in your search and If you find a great price let me know!

Offline scarabaeus

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »
Good luck in your search and If you find a great price let me know!

Thanks! Will do, man!

Offline k7

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »
yep, i went to acme with the pieces removed off the advice of mojo, who has had jeep wheels powdercoated there for years.

the owner had books and matched it dead on, and said "that powder is $xxx" for a bag. it's been a while, i don't remember the powder's cost or how much it would do, but it was overkill for my simple tastes and smallish batch. so he went thru what he had in stock (which was 1000s of colors), and we ended up on granny apple green, which is reflective, blacklight reactive, and has a wierd yellowish pearl in it. when i saw the chip sample in the sun, i said "giddiyup"...lol.

those stages throw me off. i was curious what a stage was. i know the powder cost is all kinds of different, though.

maybe they coat it with a clear, and bake it again? that would make sense. i'm more familiar with automotive paint techniques.

but yes...take the parts in and see what powders your local guy has in shop. will shave that price down immensely.

you might find a blood red deep iridescent magenta and go "hell yes". ;D  and bring more pieces...will tie-in better.

i mean...if acme had a pearl lime green stocked, everyone has to have a dark metallic green ready to go, i would assume. ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:33:43 PM by k7 »

Offline Pinsanity

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 07:09:03 PM »
yep, i went to acme with the pieces removed off the advice of mojo, who has had jeep wheels powdercoated there for years.

the owner had books and matched it dead on, and said "that powder is $xxx" for a bag. it's been a while, i don't remember the powder's cost or how much it would do, but it was overkill for my simple tastes and smallish batch. so he went thru what he had in stock (which was 1000s of colors), and we ended up on granny apple green, which is reflective, blacklight reactive, and has a wierd yellowish pearl in it. when i saw the chip sample in the sun, i said "giddiyup"...lol.

those stages throw me off. i was curious what a stage was. i know the powder cost is all kinds of different, though.

maybe they coat it with a clear, and bake it again? that would make sense. i'm more familiar with automotive paint techniques.

but yes...take the parts in and see what powders your local guy has in shop. will shave that price down immensely.

you might find a blood red deep iridescent magenta and go "hell yes". ;D  and bring more pieces...will tie-in better.

i mean...if acme had a pearl lime green stocked, everyone has to have a dark metallic green ready to go, i would assume. ;)

Very true. He did say if it's in stock it's cheaper I think. Good advice, thanks!