Author Topic: Caveman Reboots - System 80A Gottlieb  (Read 2070 times)

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: Caveman Reboots - System 80A Gottlieb
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 02:51:22 PM »
K7,
Best place to get these cables? Steve Young?
Thanks.
CuJo

i purchased off eBay, but it's been 3 years for the latest one i grabbed...seller is a good guy from KLOV who makes them. 32 bucks, MPU to Driver board cable. he doubles the power and ground leads on the new cable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gottlieb-Pinball-Sys-80-MPU-to-Dvr-3-5-7-Cable-harness-Repair-Kit-DIY/301164317311?epid=1031364487&hash=item461ecaca7f:g:w18AAMXQcWVREbnd:rk:3:pf:0

he doesn't include the headers now, he did when i was purchasing them.

i have 3 defective cables that i've replaced on gottliebs that would either not boot, or randomly reset.  good luck.

p.s. - if you contact him, he'll make whatever you want. i'd start MPU/Driver cable. always seemed to be problematic on several system 80s i've had: 007, haunted house, devils dare
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline CUJO

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »
i purchased off eBay, but it's been 3 years for the latest one i grabbed...seller is a good guy from KLOV who makes them. 32 bucks, MPU to Driver board cable. he doubles the power and ground leads on the new cable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gottlieb-Pinball-Sys-80-MPU-to-Dvr-3-5-7-Cable-harness-Repair-Kit-DIY/301164317311?epid=1031364487&hash=item461ecaca7f:g:w18AAMXQcWVREbnd:rk:3:pf:0

he doesn't include the headers now, he did when i was purchasing them.

i have 3 defective cables that i've replaced on gottliebs that would either not boot, or randomly reset.  good luck.

p.s. - if you contact him, he'll make whatever you want. i'd start MPU/Driver cable. always seemed to be problematic on several system 80s i've had: 007, haunted house, devils dare

Thanks K7.
I reseated all the cables in the backbox and per FunWiz, moved one of the wires that ran under a top center PCB that went from the Power Supply Board to the board in the upper right (can't remember it's function right now). You can see those wires in a earlier pic in the thread going under.

I think the reseating and cleaning of the connectors surfaces is working (so far). I've played about 30 games and no issues.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:46:56 PM by CUJO »
Current Pins: ST:PRO,MET:PRO, SOUTH PARK, WOZECLE#947, BOP, FGY, TSPP, ST:TNG, KINGS OF STEEL, FRANKENSTEIN, DM, PHARAOH, LOST IN SPACE, STINGRAY, WCS94, METEOR, SPACE JAM, AMIGO, POPEYE, ALIEN POKER, CAVEMAN, HOUDINI, DILE#0829, MBrLE#0566, IM PRO, RUSH PRO, CCRLE#327
Video:  Vertical/ w/BABYSTAR 465 in 1 BOARD
Past Pins: Shaq Attaq, X-Files, Space Station #1, WhoDunnit?, Space Mission, Bally Lost World, Space Station #2, MotorDome

Offline k7

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 08:28:32 PM »
Thanks K7.
I reseated all the cables in the backbox and per FunWiz, moved one of the wires that ran under a top center PCB that went from the Power Supply Board to the board in the upper right (can't remember it's function right now). You can see those wires in a earlier pic in the thread going under.

I think the reseating and cleaning of the connectors surfaces is working (so far). I've played about 30 games and no issues.

if you play 2 games on any system 80 without an issue, you've won the internet. :)
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • It's showtime!
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 02:51:04 PM »
if you play 2 games on any system 80 without an issue, you've won the internet. :)

Offline CUJO

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 08:50:31 PM »

Correction : System 80A ...Solid as a XXXX lol
Current Pins: ST:PRO,MET:PRO, SOUTH PARK, WOZECLE#947, BOP, FGY, TSPP, ST:TNG, KINGS OF STEEL, FRANKENSTEIN, DM, PHARAOH, LOST IN SPACE, STINGRAY, WCS94, METEOR, SPACE JAM, AMIGO, POPEYE, ALIEN POKER, CAVEMAN, HOUDINI, DILE#0829, MBrLE#0566, IM PRO, RUSH PRO, CCRLE#327
Past Pins: Shaq Attaq, X-Files, Space Station #1, WhoDunnit?, Space Mission, Bally Lost World, Space Station #2, MotorDome

Offline PinFan4Life

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 06:29:40 PM »
I heard the best way to fix a Caveman is to throw it off a roof. 

I swear I saw a video of that somewhere.   ;)
Pins: Elvira’s HOH Prem, Rush Premium, Godzilla Premium, Foo Fighters Premium, Cactus Canyon LE, Metallica, Star Trek Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, TMNT pro, Family Guy, Cirqus Voltaire, WOZ ECLE, Scooby Doo CE, Whirlwind.  Vids: 60 in 1 Multicade, Megatouch EVO. Visiting currently: Wms Touchdown EM.

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 07:57:00 PM »
Yes, you did see that. TNT  amusements tossed a lot of games off the roof one year.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline CUJO

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2018, 02:13:38 AM »
Yes, you did see that. TNT  amusements tossed a lot of games off the roof one year.
Yes, they regret that now.
It's a fun game. Super addicting to play. Broke 1 million on score tonight and anyone that has or played this game knows that's not an easy task, I've only done it 3 times in the past year.

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2018, 02:22:28 AM »
 When you do that five times, I’ll take the game from you for 250!
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline CUJO

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2018, 10:48:27 AM »
When you do that five times, I’ll take the game from you for 250!
Haha! Spoken like a "true Villager"...lol

Offline Doublekick

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2018, 11:06:52 AM »
Isn't that the true
And make sure it is 100% working

Haha! Spoken like a "true Villager"...lol