Author Topic: Daredevil, Iron Fist and Luke Cage Cancelled  (Read 216 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Daredevil, Iron Fist and Luke Cage Cancelled
« on: October 22, 2018, 11:38:45 AM »
"Unfortunately, Marvel's Luke Cage will not return for a third season. Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is grateful to the dedicated showrunner, writers, cast and crew who brought Harlem's Hero to life for the past two seasons, and to all the fans who have supported the series."

Not surprised about Iron Fist but surprised about Luke Cage.

Is the Marvel Netflix empire falling apart or is disney trying to get rid of any competition before their streaming service starts?

Offline Steve O

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: Iron Fist and Luke Cage Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 12:24:17 PM »
Not surprised about Iron Fist but surprised about Luke Cage.

Is the Marvel Netflix empire falling apart or is disney trying to get rid of any competition before their streaming service starts?

I have not watched either of these but the first episode, season 3 of Daredevil was horrible.  There might be an overload of superhero shows/movies.

Offline MikeMaynard21

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »
Iron Fist wasn't very good, but the end of season two gave me a little hope that it might get better. I thought Luke Cage was a mess right from the beginning. I binged Daredevil 3 over the weekend, and still haven't made up my mind wether I enjoyed it or not.
Rob Zombie LE, The Walking Dead Premium,The Addams Family, Scared Stiff, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Creature From The Black Lagoon, Tales From The Crypt (sold) Twister (sold), Star Trek Next Gen (sold), Black Rose (traded), Riverboat Gambler (sold) X-Files (sold), F-14 Tomcat (sold), Gorgar (traded), Funhouse (traded)

Offline RussG

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 12:41:32 PM »
If a show can't captivate or be good by the end of the first season something is wrong.  If it takes 2 seasons then ditch it.
I have invested time in shows like Colony only to have it go nowhere after 2 seasons and then get cancelled.  Big waste of my time.

I never bothered with Luke Cage or Iron Fist.  From what I saw of season 3 of Daredevil (one of my favorite comic characters growing up by the way) I'm not happy.

I certainly think we're reaching super hero movie and show fatigue.  Most TV shows these days in general aren't that good in my opinion.

Offline Steve O

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 01:21:07 PM »
After watching the first episode of the third season of Daredevil, I have not had interest yet to continue.  Same thing with Punisher, I am about 3 episodes in.  Is Punisher worth continuing to watch?

There were a couple of shows on HBO NOW that were on years ago and were cancelled early.  I watched two of them recently, Deadwood and Carnivale, and it was frustrating not to have a conclusion.  Hopefully Walking Dead wraps things up soon because I am ready to bail on that show.  I bailed on FTWD half way through season 2.

Offline RussG

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 03:56:15 PM »
After watching the first episode of the third season of Daredevil, I have not had interest yet to continue.  Same thing with Punisher, I am about 3 episodes in.  Is Punisher worth continuing to watch?

There were a couple of shows on HBO NOW that were on years ago and were cancelled early.  I watched two of them recently, Deadwood and Carnivale, and it was frustrating not to have a conclusion.  Hopefully Walking Dead wraps things up soon because I am ready to bail on that show.  I bailed on FTWD half way through season 2.

I liked Punisher but I felt it dragged too.  They literally don't have enough content to do a lot of episodes so a lot is made up filler\garbage in my opinion.  That goes for all the shows.

My biggest gripe with a lot of these superhero TV shows is the comics don't always translate well to TV or movies so we really have to suspend belief in the greatest of ways especially for today's society.  Things either don't make sense or are just plain foolish.

Also when I watch something like this I don't want excessive plain clothes drama.  I can get that anywhere.  I want to see the hero in all his glory and in his best uniform and powers doing his or her thing. 
Most of the villains or villain groups suck too. 

They don't have enough quality content to do 5 episodes let alone 10-22 episodes depending on show and network.

I still haven't decided whether I even want to invest in Daredevil Season 3 and that is saying a lot for me.

Regarding Carnaval ending soon that pissed me off.  I actually liked that show because it was so different.  It deserved a conclusion.
I am done with FTWD and almost done with TWD too.  Same gripes as above.  Characters are just plain stupid and I am having a hard time disbelieving a lot of reality on these shows now.  Maybe I'm just getting old!   :P :roll:

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 03:59:42 PM »
I almost never watch full-run american shows because yeah, 24 episodes is a lot to fill with quality. Normally you get about 10-12 good episodes and a bunch of filler. Why not just cut the filler? The cable shows get it.. but not the network ones.

Anyway..

I liked Daredevil 1 and 2 and Jessica Jones. I thought the first half of Luke Cage 1 was great but then it got silly. I heard how bad Iron Fist was and never got around to watching it.. then Defenders came out but I felt the need to watch Iron Fist first and well that all snowballed and I haven't watched anything since Luke Cage 1.

It sucks to hear Daredevil 3 sucks.. I'm seeing that a lot online. The first 2 seasons were really good.

Disney does sound like they are trying to move the Marvel shows over to their streaming service. Right now I don't really give a damn about a Disney streaming service. What am I going to watch.. Star Wars? Lol.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 06:22:46 PM »
Disney does sound like they are trying to move the Marvel shows over to their streaming service. Right now I don't really give a damn about a Disney streaming service. What am I going to watch.. Star Wars? Lol.

Let's create a thousand different streaming services, each with maybe one show that's worth a damn (if even that) and drive people right back to piracy since no one is going to pay $10-20 per month each for a dozen different services at the same time! It's foolproof!

Personally, I only ever subscribed to Netflix, and that was only for the DVDs - and even then it was to copy them, send 'em back and get the next one as soon as possible so I could copy all I wanted in one-month subscription.

I finally managed to get the one beat-to-hell copy of "Six String Samurai" they had floating around, copied that and then I was done.

I think Iron Fist season 1 was the only one I've yet watched a complete season of. Yeah, it was pretty bad.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:24:51 PM by Niloc »

Offline Steve O

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 09:36:22 PM »
I can't imagine there would be anything on the Disney streaming channel that I would want to see.  I wish HBO Now would stream a few more of their older shows like Tales from the Crypt, Hitchhiker, and Dream On. 

Is there anything on the CBS streaming worthwhile other than possibly Star Trek Discovery? 

Offline HFK

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 10:03:22 PM »
I hadn't thought about Carnivale in years, good show. I know we could all name dozens of shows that got the ax way too early or for stupid reasons.

I really enjoyed Daredevil S1 and S2 wasn't bad but just wasn't nearly as good. The Punisher was just about the best part of it.

I watched Jessica Jones and honestly did not enjoy it at all. The actors were all good but the story sucked. They caught him in what, ep4 or 5 and had him locked up. Well since it was 13 eps or whatever you knew someone was going to be an idiot and let him out and it would be chasing him again for 7 more eps. It took me months to finish watching it.

I planned to watch Luke Cage because I liked him in JJ but never got around to it and haven't seen any of the others. Maybe one day.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
Daredevil Cancelled
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 09:39:50 PM »
“Marvel’s Daredevil will not return for a fourth season on Netflix. We are tremendously proud of the show’s last and final season and although it’s painful for the fans, we feel it best to close this chapter on a high note.””We’re thankful to our partners at Marvel, showrunner Erik Oleson, the show’s writers, stellar crew and incredible cast including Charlie Cox as Daredevil himself, and we’re grateful to the fans who have supported the show over the years.”

Well thats about it

Offline RussG

Re: Daredevil, Iron Fist and Luke Cage Cancelled
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 12:41:36 AM »
A high note huh?
I'd say obviously not. If it was high enough they wouldn't have cancelled.
Daredevil was probably my second favorite superhero growing up but even I didn't bother watching the third season.
Him going back to his original costume before he became Daredevil was not something that interested me.
Same with them bringing back King Pin as the series villain.
Yawn.
Been there, done that.
This might be a prelude that super hero series might not be as profitable as they thought and might be a canary for the streaming services as a whole.
Perhaps reached saturation?

Offline MikeMaynard21

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »
Nope, just bad writing. Luke Cage was a dud both seasons. Iron Fist was a dud all the way up to the last five minutes of season 2, which really showed some promise as to what it could've been, and as I told RussG, there just wasn't enough of a story in Daredevil season 3. It was a mess. Now, I just read a couple of days ago, that the second season of Punisher has been put on hold.
Rob Zombie LE, The Walking Dead Premium,The Addams Family, Scared Stiff, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Creature From The Black Lagoon, Tales From The Crypt (sold) Twister (sold), Star Trek Next Gen (sold), Black Rose (traded), Riverboat Gambler (sold) X-Files (sold), F-14 Tomcat (sold), Gorgar (traded), Funhouse (traded)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 11:24:19 AM »

Well, according to Deadline, the series was actually doing really well and was one of Netflix’s most in-demand shows! It was the fourth most popular show on the streaming service! The three before it are Narcos, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and Stranger Things.

So Disney Shennanigans then? With their streaming service coming up it's not impossible. I know they are pissed that Netflix has the rights to Star Wars for the next few years so they can't even have those on Disney+ when it starts. Apparently that deal was done before the Buyout.

The cast of these shows definitely didn't know they were 'in trouble'. We saw the actor who plays Luke Cage a few months ago at Dragon*Con and he was very upbeat about where Luke Cage was going. So that kinda sucks now.

Offline bjones

• Administrator
  • Game Collector
    • Gamestencils.com
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 05:53:59 PM »
Isn't the writing on the wall about this?  Disney owns marvel, Disney launching streaming service. duh.
VIDS:  Star Wars, Reactor, Nibbler, Marble Madness, Kaboom, Black Widow, Centipede,  Eagle, Space Ace, Gunfight, Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Mappy, Star Trigon, Teddy Boy Blues, Lasso, Pepper 2, Skycurser, Donkey Kong, Pleiades, Sky Raider, Missile Command, Gravitar, Night Driver, Turtles
PINS:GBLE, DW
CURATOR: Atari Hercules