Author Topic: Intellivision Dungeons & Dragons  (Read 751 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Intellivision Dungeons & Dragons
« on: October 29, 2018, 04:14:17 AM »
I picked up a copy of "Dungeons and Dragons Art and Arcana: A Visual History";

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Art-Arcana-History/dp/0399580948?keywords=D%26D+art+book&qid=1540799826&sr=8-2&ref=sr_1_2

It's pretty good, a well-printed trip down memory lane. Covers D&D from the beginning, and the various controversies (literally everything was devil worship in the 80s).

They also re-print many of the ads, which are probably what I remember the most. I had a comic book (or several) with this ad for instance;

I didn't have an Atari 2600 when I was a kid, but most of my friends in the neighborhood had one. I was fascinated by both "Venture" and "Adventure" - but never really got to play them because they were single-player, and the few kids who had them weren't interested in them (in hindsight they were kind of boring, especially after you've put a few hours into them).

I don't recall anyone I knew having an Intellivision though (or a Colecovision, tough one kid did have an Odyssey 2). That made ads like this one for D&D on Intellivision even more mysterious and fascinating.

In retrospect, maybe I wasn't missing all that much...

Thought the sequel; "Treasure of Tarmin" (which is actually what that ad above is for);

Does look quiet a bit like "Tunnels of Doom" - which I had for my Texas Instruments TI-99 4/a computer. Another early RPG, and one that I remember fondly, 15-minute loading times from cassette tape and all. It wasn't an officially licensed D&D product though, and as a kid I knew that meant it couldn't possibly be as good.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:35:26 AM by Niloc »

Offline tufnel1530

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Re: Intellivision Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »
I had advanced D & D on the Intellivision.. dont remember it being very much fun

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
First - yeah I really need to get the book, love the TSR art. Used to have some but some guy in Hong Kong has effectively bought every piece of TSR art on the planet.. he's supposedly opening a museum which should be epic!

The Intellivision is really the unsung gaming system of that generation. Released in 1979 it had a 16-bit CPU and was capable of so much more than the 2600 was. When you compare things like the D&D games on it to what would be comparable on the 2600 it's like night and day.

However, even back then hardware didn't equal sales. The 2600 had the bigger named games and the Intellivision had that stupid funky controller. If you delve into it though it's still impressive at what was on the Intellivision at such an early era.

Offline Eddie Z

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 03:52:28 PM »
I had an intellivision as a kid.   My brother and I loved it. There's a game Called swords and serpents  For the in television that was also great.  And there's also a 3rd version of those 2 games called tower of doom.
VIDS -  Silver Strike Bowling, Golden Tee Complete

Offline Eddie Z

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 07:06:16 PM »
Swords and serpent came from a company called imagine. And the tower of doom they didn't get the licensing from TSR.  But it's an awesome D & D game

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 08:17:43 PM »
I remember Swords and Serpents and also a game called Night Stalker!

Intellivision was a great system.

I had a Colecovision too I loved!

Offline Eddie Z

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 02:46:58 AM »
Yes night stalker was very cool.

Offline stargate

• Level 2: Villager
  • I didn't fall, I attacked the floor
    • Cocktail Hour Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 07:27:08 PM »
swords & serpents was a lot of fun but there was no ending which sucked. I remember getting to the final level and finding the giant serpent and I kept waiting for something to happen and nothing happened. I just kept exploring around the level looking for a clue but there was nothing else, no official ending, no credits, nada. I read Imagine ran out of funds for the game and had to cut the ending. I saw someone else post there was an ending but I think they were just trolling.
DIFFICULT takes a few seconds, IMPOSSIBLE a few minutes
-Rodney McKay

I am ready to face any challenges that may be foolish enough to face me. -Dwight K Schrute

Pinballs; Monster Bash, Deadpool, Ghostbusters, Stargate, South Park, Champion Pub, Whirlwind, No Good Gophers, Blackwater 100, Red & Ted Road Show, Roller Coaster Tycoon. Arcade Games; DeadHeat, Pac-Man Battle Royale, Vertigo Multicade, Arcade Legends, DDR, Guitar Hero, Galaxy G3 Live Darts, Super Chexx, Super Kixx Pro, Addams Family Shocker, Arctic Thunder, H2Overdrive, Cruisin' World, Need4Speed Carbon, Dirty Drivin', hoop it Up

Offline Eddie Z

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 09:30:48 AM »
swords & serpents was a lot of fun but there was no ending which sucked. I remember getting to the final level and finding the giant serpent and I kept waiting for something to happen and nothing happened. I just kept exploring around the level looking for a clue but there was nothing else, no official ending, no credits, nada. I read Imagine ran out of funds for the game and had to cut the ending. I saw someone else post there was an ending but I think they were just trolling.

If you Had Destroy walls you could use that to break a path thru the walls. Then the dragon would turn into the game makers Initials.  And that was the END. As from what I can remember. still was an awesome game.