Author Topic: Best hauling truck?  (Read 117 times)

Offline jaxgatorgolf

• Level 3: Hologram
Best hauling truck?
« on: November 06, 2018, 12:28:59 PM »
I'm looking at going with something like a Suburban, Tahoe, Armada (SUV not pickup) so I can transport a single game without having to go rent a trailer.  I know some threads on here reference folks have had suburbans before.. but any experience with these size SUVs you can recommend would be helpful.

thanks!!
Vids: Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man Plus, MK2, MK3, Donkey Kong, Multi-Williams, Centipede, Tron, NeoGeo Big Red, Baby Pac-Man

Looking for: Popeye, Dragon's Lair, SI, Frogger

Offline dug

• Show Organizer
  • Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: Best hauling truck?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 04:30:56 PM »
I have a Ford Escape and can fit a pinball in the back and close the hatch and arcades do fit inside the hatch won't close.  I'm not sure if the dimensions for the back are the same for newest body styles though.  The reason I went with the escape is the the deck in the back is flat so you can easily slide games in and out without having to lift them over a lip in the hatch. If I remember correctly, I think one guy who picked up a game from me built a base in his SUV so it would slide in on a flat surface.   

I would say if you're not looking to haul a trailer and just need cargo space, while not as masculine as an SUV, most minivans have tons of space if you pull or fold down the seats.   
WTB: Eight Ball Deluxe, The Getaway - HSII, Qbert,

Jacksonville Arcade Expo - www.jaxarcadex.com

How come you never see the headline “Psychic Wins Lottery”?

Offline jaxgatorgolf

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 06:01:28 PM »
I have a Ford Escape and can fit a pinball in the back and close the hatch and arcades do fit inside the hatch won't close.  I'm not sure if the dimensions for the back are the same for newest body styles though.  The reason I went with the escape is the the deck in the back is flat so you can easily slide games in and out without having to lift them over a lip in the hatch. If I remember correctly, I think one guy who picked up a game from me built a base in his SUV so it would slide in on a flat surface.   

I would say if you're not looking to haul a trailer and just need cargo space, while not as masculine as an SUV, most minivans have tons of space if you pull or fold down the seats.   

Yeah, I was considering a minivan too because of the low floor but think the SUV would make a better daily driver for me personally.  If there's a middle of the road-sized SUV that might be bigger than your escape but smaller than a Suburban that still fits an upright arcade game or pinball fairly well I'm open to all makes/models.  My poor RDX is not a great hauler even with tow rated tires. :)
Vids: Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man Plus, MK2, MK3, Donkey Kong, Multi-Williams, Centipede, Tron, NeoGeo Big Red, Baby Pac-Man

Offline Steve O

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:59:23 PM »
I have a Ford Explorer that easily fits a pinball machine. I fit a Missile Command in it but it was a tight fit. With the 2nd and 3rd row seats down there is over 6 feet of cargo area from the tailgate to the back of the front seats.

Offline Djude Abides

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:29:36 AM »
I’ve got a 2010 Toyota Highlander.  EZ fit. Great car
Present....Countdown,TZ,BBH,WOZ ECLE, NGG...
Past. others...

Offline Mamushka

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »
Yeah, I was considering a minivan too because of the low floor but think the SUV would make a better daily driver for me personally.  If there's a middle of the road-sized SUV that might be bigger than your escape but smaller than a Suburban that still fits an upright arcade game or pinball fairly well I'm open to all makes/models.  My poor RDX is not a great hauler even with tow rated tires. :)

By far the best pin hauler I used has been the wife's minivan with the seats that all fold into the floor. 2 WPC pinball machines with ease. Load 1 in the back then open both side doors for easy loading of the other. Games end up in the shape of a "T", best part is for loading/unloading is it is easy to have one person at each end of the game the entire time your moving them.

I have a F150 but use the minivan to move games.

So, the solution is to make your significant other buy a minivan ;)
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH.
Past Pins: IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 12:15:49 PM »
almost any SUV on earth will fit a pinball machine. :) subarus, in my experience, have height clearance issues.

i've squeezed a pinball and a small arcade into an Element.

i also used a jeep cherokee for years to haul machines.

then again, i've squeezed machines into a CRX. just push harder. :P
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Online Sid

• @!#?@!
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 12:29:03 PM »
Are you looking for a truck or a SUV?  You can dump a load of dirt in the back of a truck.
C.B.B.B.M. @!#?@!

Phil.

Offline jaxgatorgolf

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 05:49:26 PM »
the CRX angle is impressive.  Maybe I shouldnt complain :)

Yeah I'm looking for an SUV.  Trucks are great (had one before my current SUV), but not as covered when inclement weather hits.  I typically rent the open 5x9 trailers from uhaul with the ramp, but having to be tied to a trailer is my main gripe.  I'm surprised a highlander can fit an arcade machine, but if the mid sized SUV range like highlander/pathfinder/enclave/cherokee is big enough I think I can narrow it down to something reasonable.  I also considered buying a cheap SUV/van as a second ride just for hauling, but I think consolidating might be the best option for me.

thanks for all the suggestions!