Author Topic: New board game Monopoly For Millennials  (Read 1389 times)

Offline HighProtein

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Addicted to Progress
    • 904 Pinball Zine
New board game Monopoly For Millennials
« on: November 12, 2018, 01:52:11 PM »
Yeah, I thought it was an online joke, its not...

5star:SMB/Rastan
Bmac:CruisinW
DicksOp:PacCocktail,MVC,AREA51,CENTIPEDE,BAGS&TROG
DicksNocatee:TMNT
DicksYulee:NoFear,Contra&MK2
Keg:Ven,JP,DP,GZ,SW,TMNT,Foo,19xx,CrazyTaxi,Tekken5,SF2,SMB,MVC2,NBAjam,PopNmusic,RevX,Tetris&UMK3 / JusticePub:BigHouse,Gladiators,Mario,SF2,SF2NC,Tekken5,Pac,Simpsons&SMB / JRseafood: Multicade&SMB / Players1:STH,TMNT,WCS&TMNT / Players2:DP / Players3:NF / Sneaker:Klax,SS / Soupa:MVC / S.O.P.:Galaga,Pac,&SW / SunRayCinema:Genesis,Deathstalker&SMB
VGR:Area51,CrazyTaxi,H.O.D.SFA3,SF2&WildRiders /
Walrus:PAC,SMB&TT

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: New board game Monopoly For Millennials
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:01:29 PM »
Let's hope it's satire on hasbros part otherwise were all dead when they take over.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »
It's pretty stupid, but hasn't it dawned on everyone that Monopoly is a boring-ass game by now?

Play like most people do with "house rules" - all the money from fines goes into the center of the board and you get it for landing on "Free Parking", don't conduct the mandatory auctions every time someone lands on an un-owned space, etc. - and it's interminable. You can literally get into situations where it never ends.

Playing by the actual rules isn't much better, the game will at least end but it's still freaking dull. Monopoly is nearly 85 years old now, and it's not one of those that'll just be around forever like Chess. Time to let it die.

Online HFK

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »
Niloc pretty much nailed it. Do any adults really play Monopoly?

I assume you have some hipsters who break it out every now and then because they think they are being whatever the hell hipsters think they are being but normal adults should not be playing.

You have to hand it to them to keep this going for so long. I think the only version they haven't made is hemorrhoids ripped open by explosive diarrhea edition. 

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 08:30:39 PM »
Obviously they are doing whatever they can to keep Monopoly going. It still sells in the millions each year.. go figure.

I have a board from like 1984 and dont plan on buying another so I guess its just kids buying it.

The game itself is also so old it's in the public domain which is why you see all those -Opoly rip offs at gift shops.

Offline tufnel1530

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »
nice... I know what Im getting my spoiled ass entitled niece for xmas now.  :P

Offline k7

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »
my friend's kids were playing a monopoly game, that used credit cards and calculators for the totals. yep, no money...too much effort to count.

lol...why poor azz credit kills so many. :P
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline pinballcorpse

• Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 07:59:57 PM »
Yes, some of us adults still play Monopoly, competitively.  Yes, you did read that right.

Play Monopoly by the strict rules and the entire strategy changes.  Whenever I play with someone I have to ask if we are playing by the rules or are there some house rules being employed. Kind of like asking what is the rule on extra balls in a pinball tourney. Have they been turned off?

Most casual players hate playing Monopoly with people who won’t employ house rules.  And vice versa.  I feel, house rules ruin the game.  Free money for landing on a safety square? Skip that. (Think of getting some random jackpot award in pinball for doing nothing but lucking into a drain)

Anyway...

For example, I would venture to guess that most people do NOT play by the rule that requires a property immediately go up for auction for all players if the player who lands on it passes on buying it.  Most people think it is simply luck and maybe some negotiation and trading mid to late game that gets you the properties you want.

By playing by the actual rules, properties can often be gained at well under the listed board price. It is important to pay attention to the cash distribution of the players at the table. 

It is important to know when to stay in jail and when to pay to get out.

Knowing the statistical roll of the dice spots is also a factor in which properties to buy, and to avoid.

Knowing how to buy properties cheaply and use the mortgage value to improve other valuable properties or buy valuable properties is also a key.

Knowing when 15% is less than $200 for tax can matter.

Knowing that you can buy houses and hotels when it is not your turn matters.

Lots of other considerations, but you get the idea.

Usually my discussing Monopoly nuances is met with “you take it too seriously”. Well, I hear that in pinball too :)

“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • It's showtime!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 10:12:18 PM »
Play Monopoly by the strict rules and the entire strategy changes.  Whenever I play with someone I have to ask if we are playing by the rules or are there some house rules being employed. Kind of like asking what is the rule on extra balls in a pinball tourney. Have they been turned off?

To me the "strict rules" are the real rules and ll the rest is bs.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 10:17:25 PM »
The house rules definitely prolong a monotonous game but I haven't really been a fan of Monopoly since i was a kid.

Even if you play it strict, the game is goofy. Chances are at some point an idiot player will make a bad trade giving somebody a monopoly that will end the game.

Only problem is that may take 3 hours.

I'd rather play Risk.

Offline Don Panetta aka 404

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 03:48:31 PM »
Monopoly For Millennials: a game with no losers....for losers... 8)

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 05:04:01 PM »
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron