Author Topic: 7 plays seriously  (Read 857 times)

Offline DanielR

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
7 plays seriously
« on: January 26, 2019, 04:59:01 PM »
cons:

I bought a Offroad racing stand up awhile ago with a bad monitor and replaced it with a "fixed chasis". I understand these parts aren't going to last me until it snows in Florida but I turned my machine on 7 times. I wrote it down on my iphone notes with a message of the tracktimes & time it was on for. Yesterday i went to turn it on and the chasis is no good? This machine doesn't get sun,  its inside my apartment thats 75 degree's and it was never moved once. Would it had been better if i would of put it in a laundry mat running it for hours instead... Didn't want to do it but a 58 dollar LCD and a 20 dollar converter looks beautiful and a lot much cheaper than taking it to a tech to repair it.

pros:

now i can clean my ass with those twingalaxies world records in peace.

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: 7 plays seriously
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:30:15 PM »
Capacitors are like batteries, and must be changed out at times.  Monitor on all the time, gets them hot, maybe cook them.  Then other times being off for years the fluid leaks out or dries up, and they go boom when its turned back on.  Sometimes a lucky monitor can go 20+ years with no problems, usually due to just the perfect conditions and possibly decent made parts.  I try to turn on my games for 5 min every month, it's like starting a car to keep the battery charged.  Maybe it works, but at least I know when it starts to go south...
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline DanielR

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:55:39 PM »
it's understable they go bad. Things can happen. I don't buy the 7 game BS story and recap theory. Guess i'm going to order a LCD for my Pole Position since i only have 6 more to go.  :roll:

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:55:00 PM »
FYI- LCD monitors average life span is 3-5 years, game monitors average 10 years before needing HV and cap kit replacement.  CRT tv's can go 20 years from manufacture date before death.  It's important to check caps before install to make sure they are good, and to use quality components, or they won't last and the monitor will need to be redone again.  Name brand LCD manufacturers make spare boards, so buy an extra set while available for replacement when needed. 
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Chicago Gaming, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline k7

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »
plasmas lasted 3 to 5 years when they first came out. LCDs can last 10 minutes, or 20+ years. biggest issue is lines in the display.

CRTs can do 70 years. ask kelley/creature7  ;D . i have a 1984 TV set that's 100%.

7 plays is crap. whoever fixed the chassis used defective Chinese caps, i bet. only takes 1 bad apple to crash your CRT.

now, finding that apple...difficult.

don't fee bad. i purchased a SSD hard drive. it booted exactly 7 times for me. must be the number. :o

i used to buy rebuilt chassis-esesss from a Chris on KLOV. i have a few in my Go7 games, it's been 15 years running.

a few of my arcades get good use. others, may not get turned on for a year. it's actually the same for some vehicles around here.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:36:00 AM by k7 »
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline DanielR

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 02:13:43 PM »
7 plays is crap. whoever fixed the chassis used defective Chinese caps

thanks

Offline DanielR

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 01:47:02 AM »
Just played 6 hours on a Pole Position that i acquired. Thisclose from donating Off-Road challenge with a Cruis's USA board FOR FREE.

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 09:42:55 AM »
i have had monitors go up in a ball of glory shortly after rebuilding them.. $&*7 happens.

what did you have done?

1) bought cab, told monitor was "freshly repaired"
2) took cab to tech.
3) took monitor to tech.
4) took out chassis and shipped to tech.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline DanielR

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »
Part most likely came faulty. i bought the chassis locally and should of seen this coming.

Offline MilitiaMan

• Show Organizer
  • www.jaxarcadex.com
    • Jacksonville Arcade Expo
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 02:45:28 PM »
Just played 6 hours on a Pole Position that i acquired.

That is hardcore!
Current Barn Want List: Quantum, Timber, Star Castle, Zookeeper, Congo Bongo, Journey, Black Widow, Warlords C/T, Williams Duramold, Nibbler or Eyes.

Hit me up if you have any of these for sale, complete, project, or otherwise.

Offline deadlander

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 03:40:58 PM »
Prepare to qualify!  I think your ready now.  :P
Danny,  there's a lot of.... Well badness in the world today. I see it in the court everyday. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber.... didn't want to do it.... felt I owed it to them.