Author Topic: Favorite Bestest Pinball Machine of all Time?  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Neal_W

• Level 3: Hologram
Re: Favorite Bestest Pinball Machine of all Time?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 12:05:10 AM »
Quickie: Fish Tales   -lightning flippers and brutal multiball.
Longie: Lord of the Rings  -theme for days!

Offline TheBatman

• Batman
  • Level 10: Timelord
  • (secret identity Jsgtrman, don't tell anyone!)
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 03:03:40 AM »
Batman Forever... Of course.

Offline NormaJ

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2019, 08:34:54 AM »
jeeze, no EM love at all? Not a two inch flipper game to be found. no mention of NORTH STAR or AZTEC or FLIPPER CLOWN or OLD CHICAGO?
 I think this group is biased. DING DONG or DODDLEBUG? GRANADA?
 you are all allowed your own opinions but jeeze louise.
 But then I wouldnt go out of my way for a ADAMS FAMILY which has a cute attract mode but plays dumb as hell. Most overrated of all time for that one IMO.  :-\

I grew up on the old EM's and will always love them.

Old Chicago? Created by a masochist.
Ding Dong? Should be called "Ding Gone" because your ball disappears so fast.
Doodlebug? A legitimate flipper control game that never lets you set the ball on the flipper.

So I guess people get mad when they lose the ball a lot, and that makes it not a favorite. I get it.

Unfortunately, most EM games are a little disappointing in layout. You have the "top half" (which you usually don't end up spending much time on) and the "bottom half" (where you are constantly fighting to keep the ball alive or send the ball back up to the "top half").

Of all the EM's, I think Big Indian has to be among the best because there are enough things to do (lanes, drop targets, vari-target) and your mission is to keep the ball alive to keep doing the same things over and over again. Also, on each ball all your "missions" reset to zero (unlike some games like Strange World where your last couple of balls are a frenzy of points).

I will play anything that has flippers on it, no matter what size. I used to put dimes in kiddie candy machines that had flippers just so I could have a really short game and get a gumball.

Offline FourFlippers

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 09:02:02 AM »
Great post Norma!  Perhaps we should modify this post or start a new one that asks for your favorite game by classification:
EM
SS
DMD
LCD
Thoughts?
Ed K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pins - TZ, NGG, AF, IJ-TPA, TOTAN, AFM, EBD-LE, Centaur II, Orbitor 1, FH, PF, FIRE!, AGG, FBC, F-14, Medusa, Centaur, BK, DW, FBC, MMR,
Vids Rockin Bowl-O-Rama, Hyperbowl, MAME Cocktail, Sky Shark

Online busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2019, 11:36:03 AM »
sounds good
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline imjay

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
    • My Old Band
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2019, 06:58:00 PM »
I also thought there are a variety of answers depending on the type of pin.
EM - my favorite was Old Chicago though I brought many, many others home across those years.
SS - my favorite was/is Fathom - Centaur/Eight Ball Deluxe/Haunted House runner ups
After those I think the wonderful Bally/Williams of the 1990s were the best of those times into current times.
AF and MB and AFM probably best of that breed thought I really liked my Fish Tales and NGG.
It's too bad that it all crashed just after Pin-2000 games were being introduced.  I really liked my Revenge From Mars.
AFM RFM TAF MB NGG TZ Fathom F-14Tomcat, Cougar Dart, Tournament Tornado Foos, Short-Stop

Offline prefontaine79

• Level 5: Power User!
  • twitch.tv/pinballconspiracy
    • Pinball Conspiracy
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 05:39:52 AM »
still Whirlwind for me. rdy to buy again for the 5th time. where are you me whirlwind..
LZPro
MandoPro