Author Topic: Game of Thrones -- Also Spoilers  (Read 942 times)

Offline tufnel1530

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Re: Game of Thrones -- Also Spoilers
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2019, 12:20:02 PM »
Yeah but that's a bit of a cop out isn't it? Obviously they can't please everyone but this is still pretty disappointing in it's carelessness.

yah for sure..

but you are in a world where Jon Snow can stand there distracted and have 2500 enemies rush him flick his wrist and stab them all dead without looking so....

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2019, 04:43:48 PM »
Yeah, the pacing was still very, very fucked and the show-runners are clearly to blame. There have been plenty of filler episodes in the past, at least one even in this season, where they could have been setting up Daenary's mental state a lot better. As with everything else it felt rushed.

They've been lightly hinting that she could go nuts for a long time, like back since season 2, but they've laid off that more recently rather than leaning into it as they needed to.

I can't argue with many of the logic problems; they showed nearly all of the Dothraki get slaughtered in the battle with the undead; they did show a few survivors from the initial charge making it back to Winterfell, but just a few. Now we've got 20+ Dothraki again, all in good shape.

I was glad that Arya didn't get to kill Cersei at least; both her and the Night King would have been way too much for one character. Ditto with her not getting to help with The Mountain - they didn't even let her heroically lead the commoners to safety.

The Golden Company was just funny. They're mercenaries - why the fuck wouldn't they have a "WE DON'T FIGHT DRAGONS" clause in their contract in big bold print?

Most of the episode just came down to: "I can see what you're trying to do here, what the intentions are and how that could have worked; you're just doing 90% of it really badly."

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:49:53 PM by Niloc »

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2019, 09:17:50 PM »
I think the main issue with the (mostly terrible) writing this season is that they're totally unwilling to give up on shocking and surprising the audience.

What should have happened:

"Lets put all the women, children and old people in the crypts - it's the safest place!"

Tyrion (or any other smart character): "You want to put people in the crypts, with the dead, when we're fighting an enemy who can raise the dead? Bad idea."

"Agreed. It is a bad idea, but we literally have no where else to put them that's away from the main army of the dead, and there's a chance that they'll be safe there at least."

But since the show's writer's are determined to surprise everyone who didn't figure out that the crypts were a bad idea, they just don't mention any of that.

Also related:

Simply put, Daenarys is a bad person, and has been for most of the shows run. She feels entitled to be queen of the 7 kingdoms because her father was, and because her brother never would shut up about "his crown". Not really an unreasonable position for royalty in this world, but it doesn't make her a good person.

Her priorities are;

1) Becoming queen over all Westeros, and fuck anything and anyone in her way.

2) Her Dragons, who she considers her children - but she'll enthusiastically sacrifice them to get the #1 goal.

3) Jon Snow, who she apparently loves, but is a distant, distant 3rd compared to the rest.

The show has just done a shit job of telegraphing this. They laid light hints here and there, and you had characters like Varys saying that she could go nuts at any time, but there was never any reason to believe it - because they wanted to save the turn for shock value, and it backfired on them hard. It was WAY too abrupt, when it should have been gradual.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:20:14 PM by Niloc »

Offline Mamushka

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2019, 10:29:50 PM »
She never had problem burning people she felt deserved it. She always protected the innocent. There was never any indications in her past that she would fly around targeting women and children.

I also liked how Jamie just "walked it off" when he had a dagger stuck 6+ inches into his torso... twice  :P

Show is about as stupid as TWD now.
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH.
Past Pins: IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2019, 11:12:44 PM »
Simply put, Daenarys is a bad person, and has been for most of the shows run. She feels entitled to be queen of the 7 kingdoms because her father was, and because her brother never would shut up about "his crown". Not really an unreasonable position for royalty in this world, but it doesn't make her a good person.

See the show hasn't really led us to that conclusion.

Has she killed people over the course of the show? Sure.. but it was justifiable at the time, not insane or evil for the sake of being evil. Yes she wants to be Queen but she wants to break the wheel and end the rule of Tyrants. Wanting to be Queen doesn't seem too out of place in this world.. not enough that just wanting it makes you evil. Maybe the ultimate point they are trying to make is more akin to Douglas Adams.. ie anyone who wants to rule isn't worthy.. but they didn't really set it up that way in context.

They also went out of their way to show that she wasn't a mad tyrant. She frees slaves, has a problem with innocents getting killed. Remember when her dragon ate like 1 child and she locked him up and how big a deal they made of it? Not the type pf person that would be senselessly burning children a few seasons later.

Once again the turn could work if set up properly but they didn't set it up at all. The only real glimpse of her becoming truly paranoid and unhinged all happened this season.

I guess we'll see if the books end the same way and how it's handled there.. well at least I'll read the wikipedia page because after next week I'm done with this fucking universe.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2019, 11:15:56 PM »
She never had problem burning people she felt deserved it. She always protected the innocent. There was never any indications in her past that she would fly around targeting women and children.

I also liked how Jamie just "walked it off" when he had a dagger stuck 6+ inches into his torso... twice  :P

Show is about as stupid as TWD now.

Yeah exactly.

Can't wait to see what these guys do with Star Wars next. The fun just never stops :)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2019, 11:28:33 PM »
Here's a good video on the contradictions caused by the Daneys turn:

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2019, 07:54:55 AM »
Here's a good video on the contradictions caused by the Daneys turn:

Sadly this video could have gone on and on...

However there is one bright spot in it, at 2:43 we get to see Yara's best feature, yowza!  ;) She is the true definition of a butterface.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:16:20 PM by Mamushka »
Past Pins: IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2019, 10:39:27 AM »
Simply put, Daenarys is a bad person, and has been for most of the shows run. She feels entitled to be queen of the 7 kingdoms because her father was,

She doesn't "feel" entitled, she quite literally is entitled (well, until she found out about jon snow) that's how this whole royalty thing works.

Offline tufnel1530

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2019, 11:11:10 AM »
She doesn't "feel" entitled, she quite literally is entitled (well, until she found out about jon snow) that's how this whole royalty thing works.

I tuned out to that character around the time she started wearing clothes every episode... terrible writing.

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2019, 01:25:54 PM »
I think the main issue with the (mostly terrible) writing this season is that they're totally unwilling to give up on shocking and surprising the audience.

What should have happened:

"Lets put all the women, children and old people in the crypts - it's the safest place!"

Tyrion (or any other smart character): "You want to put people in the crypts, with the dead, when we're fighting an enemy who can raise the dead? Bad idea."

"Agreed. It is a bad idea, but we literally have no where else to put them that's away from the main army of the dead, and there's a chance that they'll be safe there at least."

But since the show's writer's are determined to surprise everyone who didn't figure out that the crypts were a bad idea, they just don't mention any of that.

No that would be stupid also, how hard would it be to remove the bodies from the crypt? You literally had thousands of able bodied men standing around waiting for the fight. Probably could have had the bodies moved out in under an hour. Hell, Jon Snow knew you had to burn the bodies to keep them from being reanimated you would think they would have done that long ago.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2019, 04:24:47 PM »

Not when you're the last Targaryan there is. As far as she knew, before Jon found out who his parents are; and once she learned that she's even less entitled to it.

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2019, 05:39:42 PM »
Not when you're the last Targaryan there is. As far as she knew, before Jon found out who his parents are; and once she learned that she's even less entitled to it.

Her dad was king, not sure how being the last Targarian makes her less deserving?

This brings up another stupid point: Dany is really distrusting her inner circle now. But she believes Jon and his story?

The bastard son of the hand of the king who overthrew her dad? She's believes he is her nephew that until now, no one knew existed? What is his proof again? Oh yea, his brother says so and his best friend read it in a book, because you know, you can't fake a book. You would think with her sudden distrust of her associates this would be one of the first things she would doubt.

Honestly the way things are going my guess is Jar-Jar Binks will end up on the iron throne for that ending that no one saw coming :P

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2019, 09:08:36 PM »
Her dad was king, not sure how being the last Targarian makes her less deserving?

Not in her mind, but to literally everyone else? Yeah. The last rebellion was about overthrowing a really awful Targarian king and then killing every single other person in that family. The entirety of Westeros had turned against them and she expects to come back and say "well the rulebook clearly states that I'm next in line, so..."

She's not deserving and no one much wanted her, other than hangers-on that thought they would benefit. People like Tyrion though she was better than the alternatives, but that was about it. She's taking it by force, it really has nothing to do with lineage or being deserving. Jon Snow had support based on that, she didn't.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2019, 08:11:50 AM »
No matter what happens tonight the amount of fan backlash has been highly entertaining.

I don't think I've ever seen people as mad as this.

Of course the nerd press is up in arms but even mainstream news is picking up on this. It's fun to watch the air head news presenters chiming in with yeah it's not been very good when reading off the stories about the backlash. I don't think I've seen this before.

There's a change.org petition to redo season 8. It's pointless of course but it has over 1 million signatures this week alone.

We were at ABC buying some Wine last night and they had a Game of Thrones branded whiskey. I made an off handed comment about how it probably tasted good initially but had a terrible finish. The clerk overheard me and proceeded to talk to the wife for 10 minutes about how the show sucks.

So if nothing else this will probably set a new standard for a show imploding at the end. Maybe we can replace 'Jumping the Shark' with 'Having a Starbucks' or something.