Author Topic: Oculus Rift S vs Oculus Quest  (Read 99 times)

Offline owlnonymous

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • BEWARE, OWL LIVES!
    • Owlnonymous: Pinball and Arcade Streaming
Oculus Rift S vs Oculus Quest
« on: May 08, 2019, 05:11:38 PM »
With the Oculus Rift S and Oculus Quest being released soon, I am trying to decide which experience I want as my first foray into VR.

The Oculus Rift S has a higher refresh rate, but used a single LCD panel with no IPD adjustment. My PC is VR ready, so the fidelity of games offered and selection of library would be greater.

The tetherless and portability of the Oculus Quest VR might be worth the lost in graphics and smaller library. The Quest uses two OLED displays, with greater blacks. It does however run at a lower refresh rate.

Which headset are you guys interested in? If you have owned a VR set in the past, how nice would it to be tetherless?

PINS: Dialed In, Whirlwind, The Machine: Bride of Pin·bot, Spectrum, Paragon
WTB: Iron Maiden Premium, NGG, Hang Glider, Prospector, Andromeda, Cosmic Gunfight
TWITCH: http://twitch.tv/owlnonymous

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: Oculus Rift S vs Oculus Quest
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 08:24:58 PM »
Not having the tether is VERY nice, but of course the trade off is that you'll never have the horsepower of a high-end PC behind it.

I did the Kickstarter for the Oculus, got the dev kit version and got a full Rift for free because of it (unexpected bonus).

I also bought the Oculus Go last December when it was on sale for $179.

I actually like the Go more and use it more often.

The full Rift is a pain in the ass to setup and keep connected to a PC all the time (unless you've got a high-end PC devoted to just that). Then you also need the sensors, wires all over for that, and a lot of space to use it in some games.

The Go is way more pick-up-and-play, and I love the fact that you don't even have to use headphones with it (though you can) - the built-in speakers are actually quite good.

For every type of VR I've tried yet though, the biggest problem is that it seems to be aimed at 5 to 15 minute sessions. No depth.

What I personally want is a system where I can put it on, sit down on the couch, have it stay cool and comfortable for hours, and play an immersive modern RPG type game.

There's a conversion of Skyrim for VR, but I already played Skyrim years ago, and since it's not designed for VR I'm not sure how much benfit there really is.

We're very much still in the early adopter stage unfortunately, and it may never get past that. Ideally the headset should be not much more than those wrap-around sunglasses old people sometimes wear, like these;

With, at most, one thin break-away wire connecting it to a PC; but we're still probably 10 years away from something like that, and VR may well fizzle out and die well before then.
The total number of VR headsets sold so far is pretty small vs. game consoles.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:03:59 AM by Niloc »