Author Topic: More Aerosmith woes  (Read 727 times)

Offline sinistar71

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Im probably already still here.
More Aerosmith woes
« on: May 09, 2019, 07:01:14 PM »
Went to play some Aerosmith earlier, turned it on and hit start, but wouldnt start a game. Also, the top half of the GI was out, and so were the feature lights and controlled pop bumper lights. Power cycled it and when it came back on the lights were still out but it started a game. Put the ball in play and after about 30 seconds the flippers got weaker and weaker and then the game shut down. Now it will not boot at all, and I am smelling an unpleasant burned plastic smell. Are these the symptoms of a failed node board?

Offline sinistar71

Re: More Aerosmith woes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:46:40 PM »
Just got home and spent some time looking the game over, i found that the burning smell is coming from the toy box coil. Hot as hell! Game still wouldnt boot so I disconnected that coil and the game booted right up. Dont know what is causing that coil to overheat though, and the game was acting up on initial power up today before anything had a chance to get hot. Was working fine yesterday for several games. All node boards test good in diagnostics.

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 09:12:40 AM »
do u keep your games plugged in?  has there been a lightning storm recently?  power surges etc?
vids:   246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur),  robotron, joust w/jrok, centipede

pins:  Star Trek premmy, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem,  BM66 prem, GnR LE, jjp potc le, Woz, The Hobbit,  JP(stern), Godzilla premmy,  AIQ (prem), EHoH. LoTR, CCr, F-14

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR, Alice Cooper, RZ, BSD, Firepower, STTNG, TMNT prem, TWD, Gilligan

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 09:43:47 PM »
i know you replaced the prop rod or whatever that thing was. make sure the coil isn't touching wires in any spot...

we just had a brand new stern with a bad node board that "passed the self test". so there's that. :)

good luck.  :)
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline sinistar71

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 12:47:40 PM »
Yeah after I replaced the rod stop thing it worked like a champ for a dozen games. Thought it was fixed!
Turned it off, the next day when I turned it on it was screwed up immediately. Not like anything even had time to heat up or malfunction. Nothing touching anything it shouldnt be, so Im wondering about the node board. But, researching it, others have had the same problem and replaced everything, coil, stop, node board, etc and still didnt fix it. . Over on Pinside, one guy had the issue and he said Stern ended up replacing the whole machine because no one could figure it out. So i dunno. Gonna mess with it more tonite after the Mothers Day festivities wrap up.

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 09:45:43 AM »
possible node board failure , coil hot/burning smell = shorted mosfet on node board.
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline k7

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 07:09:21 PM »
phatchit went thru the same thing, i saw you found his post on pinside. he swapped node boards (or another thread did), and that didn't solve the hot coil issue.

seems to happen more with code 1.07, but i know the issue occured with earlier code as well.

i went thru 8 threads today, we have an aerosmith that releases balls inside the toy chest, for no rhyme or reason. just a random dumping of them. all optos/switches good.

what a fun mech. :(
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline spartyman

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 02:51:30 PM »
I just picked up a Aerosmith as well and also have some issues with the toybox but mine is slightly different, the elevator motor seems to get stuck going down... clearly something isn't right with the design here it shouldn't be that hard
Vids: Millipede, PacMan
Pins: Stern POTC, GOTG Pro
Slots: Wms BlueBird1

Offline sinistar71

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 12:08:21 PM »
So Im going to start out by simply replacing the coil and see if that helps. Like I mentioned the game wont even boot at all unless I disconnect the toybox hold coil. Im thinking it locked on and burned out. Going to try this first before getting into the node board. Do these Spike games have some sort of watchdog that would prevent the game from booting if a coil is bad?
Also, the coil that is in there now is a 090-5083-06. I cant find this coil available online, all I can come up with is a 090-5083-03. Is this a worthy substitute? Thanks for any help/ advice.