Author Topic: Home Theater help  (Read 1530 times)

Offline murfe88

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Home Theater help
« on: April 08, 2019, 12:22:14 PM »
The house I bought has a Theatre room. I have been researching and trying to figure out what I need but there is some much stuff out there I  really have no idea what to buy.

I went to best buy to try and get some ideas on what I would need. I have four Bose speakers already that I am going to use for four of my speakers.

I guess I need a receiver , center speaker , Sub , projector and a screen. I know I want  120in screen.

I found these two projectors I am considering. Are these any good ? The one is 4k but it is refurbished.

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/optoma-uhd50rfba-4k-uhd-home-theater-projector-6?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_2

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/epson-home-cinema-2150-1080p-wireless-3lcd-projector-white/6019901.p?skuId=6019901&ref=06&loc=BM01&msclkid=eefd91d8a0fa1d7870aecd73d262d436&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=CJfg-qrxwOECFVDbDQodDxsJ6Q&gclsrc=ds

If anybody has any recommendations or has a home theatre set up and can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Below are two pics from the previous owners setup.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:38:10 PM by murfe88 »
Toy Story LE , TBL , AIQ premium , TMNT pro , EHOH , Godzilla pro , Vpin , GT2022 pedestal , Arcade Collections pedestal , PacMan Galaga reunion .

Offline djude

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Re: Home Theater help
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 01:11:39 PM »
I've had a PJ theatre for the past 28 years, so I know the basics.  Yes you'll need a receiver, Sub (at least one) a center channel speaker, (spend some money on this, as you'll hear it more than the other speakers in your set up).  and a PJ and screen.  The two PJs you list, I'm assuming was based on budget correct?  Before you make a choice on a PJ you need to figure out if you are affected by the Rainbow Effect.  This is the sensation of seeing Rainbow patterns in the screen in high  contrast scenes (think black and white) and high speed motion scenes.  This can become a big deal when you are watching a 120 inch screen and your eyes need to move back and forth rapidly from one side of the screen to the other to see what is going on.  It is during this motion that you will see the rainbows... if you do.   As someone that does, it can be very irritating.   The first PJ you linked is a DLP.  The DLP technology uses a spinning wheel with multiple color segments that the light shines through.  This is what causes the rainbow effect. 
The second PJ you linked uses a system that shines the light through a transparent LCD screen to make the picture.  This technology does not have rainbow effect.

Find out this answer before you proceed with a PJ purchase.  I have always used a traditional 3 gun Red Green Blue CRT PJ,( currently a Marquee 9500) because I am so affected by the rainbow, but my next PJ will probably be a 3LCD, unless laser becomes affordable enough to go that route.  The CRT PJs are not capable of throwing a 4k pic, that's why I will eventually move over.  Depending on your budget you may want to look into a 4k PJ simply because most of them on the market up convert video signals to improve the native picture which helps when you are watching 120 inches. 

Most new DLP and 3LCD PJs will be bright enough for that room.  You want at least 2000+ lumens for that bright of a room...  Consider black out shades as well....
Lastly research the best screen you can afford.  It doesn't need to be really expensive, but make sure it compliments your PJ.   

Good luck on your theatre.... you will never want to go back, and if you're like me you will never want to go out to a theater again.

Hope this helps.

Present....Countdown, CCR, BBH, NGG, EBD, DILE...
Past. others...

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 01:17:29 PM »
HT room? pfft, thats a room for more pinball!!!

https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline Doublekick

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 01:33:17 PM »
Exactly what he said who needs a ht room j/k
Looks like you got the info you needed

HT room? pfft, thats a room for more pinball!!!

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 02:03:25 PM »
For surround sound you'll generally want a matching set of speakers. You can mix and match but it may not give the best results. A really good center and sub are key. A decent receiver is also a good idea. There are plenty of HT forums out there that can give you a good idea of what's best in your budget. Generally speaking you want to stay away from overpriced retail sets (ie things you'd find at Best Buy's magnolia room) as you can generally do much better for less money.

I can't really talk about Projectors as it's not my bag. I've seen large screen projector setups but the quality took a hit with the larger size (ie Blurays looked like DVDs, etc) but with 4k out now that should be plenty of bandwidth given that's what most of the theaters project with.

Offline murfe88

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 02:03:36 PM »
Thanks for all the info. That was exactly what I was looking for. Budget wise I am trying to stay around $1,000 for the Projector.

The theater room is upstairs and I really didn't feel like carrying then Pins up and down the stairs. I will probably use it for over flow games if I have too.

This is going to be the gameroom. 
Toy Story LE , TBL , AIQ premium , TMNT pro , EHOH , Godzilla pro , Vpin , GT2022 pedestal , Arcade Collections pedestal , PacMan Galaga reunion .

Offline kbvette

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 06:10:54 PM »

Took me a couple of redesigns to get that movie theatre feel
                  Painted walls flat dark beige as well as the ceiling
                  Installed audio mute panels in places that needed it
                   140" fixed screen w/ 4" velvet border
                  Blackout curtains,damn near pitch black during the day
                  Basic HT audio equipment and surround
                  JVC rs1 projector....Thanks again Yosho,he located a used one for my on The AVS classified forum
                  Darby video enhancer …..gives that extra pop your looking for
                  Clark tactile transducers aka Butt kickers,had to buy a 1500 watt separate amp for that.
    Most everything I bought used even the seating,HT audio and speakers were new.
Pins Fish Tales,XMEN LE,DM,Iron Man,Corvette,

Offline WannaTheater

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 11:38:40 PM »
Nice looking room! Good points already mentioned.  Things to consider:
1) projector lumens and throw
2) resolution
3) 3D?
4) 16x9 or 2.35:1 screen (trade offs with each)
5) main use of room-  If you plan on having this as your main tv room, answers maybe different than if you will primarily watch movies in this room

I went with a custom dimension screen (semi-DIY)
5.2 surround- Onkyo 808
Panasonic pt-ae8000 projector (3D)
Internet speakers- (JTRs Triple 8 HTs, and now defunct Epik Empire subs - 2 at 600W each)
2 pseudo in-wall surround speakers.
Sound isolated room (done during construction)
Partially sound-treated room (screen wall, corner bass traps).... will finish someday...
Black black black room, black carpet, black ceiling, black columns... all done before we got a white-haired shedding dog....

My favorite JTR speaker video:

Pins: Iron Maiden, The Addams Family, Simpsons Pinball Party, Fish Tales, Goldeneye, Terminator 2, No Fear
Arcade: Galaga (MAME), Ice Cold Beer, Defender (JROK-multi), Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr

Offline Pchdetc

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 12:08:06 PM »
Definitely every item can be found for less than what you would buy it at Best Buy for. Although Best Buy is a good place to start to see and hear in their setting, it should sound better in a dedicated room over the large areas that are in Best Buy show rooms. Magnolia Rooms are usually sound insulated to keep outside noise out once the doors are closed in their listening room.

For me I have a dedicated viewing room aka movie room. I have done the following and here is what I have and its completed and totally kick ass.

1) My viewing room is non square layout. Its 14 ft wide by 23 feet long.
2) All 4 walls are sound proof  behind dry wall with insulation over head.
3) Floors are carpeted> I bought from Home Depot and they are in 2 ft square sections and are rubber backing. Great way to absorb base.
4) All walls are painted a dark brown and black to cut down on light from the projector light.
5) There are no windows in the room. Like I said this is a dedicated room and use for nothing else other that movie room.

1) I'm using a Marantz 9.2 surround sound unit. It does 4K pass thru and its a kick butt receiver. I bought I refurbished from accessories4less.com they are located in my town and its a great way to get high end equipment. I paid $899 and includes 1 year warranty. Best Buy wants $2,199. Big saving here!!
2) I'm using Klipsch reference line speakers. 6 speakers to include the subwoofer... 2 fronts, 2 rears, 1 center, and 1 12 inch powered sub (for now)
3) I have in ceiling speakers that I cut out and placed them flush mount. These are for the ATMOS sound (over head). I'm using inexpensive Yamaha ceiling speakers. You don't need much for this as sounds pass over head.
4) My projector this week :-) is mounted from the ceiling and its about 12 feet from the screen. I'm using is a Epson 4010 4K (enhanced) Projector. The reason for this is only a small amount of true 4K media (other than 4K Blu-ray bought movies at 4K). So if you don't use 4K don't waste you money on the SONY Native 4K projector (currently $4,499). I paid for my Epson 4010 $1,799. You can get 1080P projector's for around $800...depends on your vision and what you like. ANd, if you want 3D or not. My Epson is 4K enhanced and 3D.
5) My screen for my projector I made from spandex I found the idea on some Home theater sites and one of my friends built his screen even bigger, but for me the 128 inch size was what fit for my room. Its roughly 128 inches measured diagonally. I built the frame out of 2x2's  and put black spandex first and then white spandex over the black. This helps catch the projector light and produces a great looking screen. The reason for spandex is my speakers are behind the screen so sound comes thru the spandex screen. You don't see the speakers. Screen is mounted off the wall about 2 feet.

Other than that I use PS4 for gaming and VR game's and streaming. PS4 wont play 4K media discs just stream 4K online, XBOX ONE X (for games and 4K movie discs and blu-ray player), and APPLE TV 4K to supply media to my movie room. If you are looking to cut cable... I use PS VUE on my PS4 and APPLE TV (take your pick of device) to stream all our tv shows due to getting locals and all the channels we watch in 1080. It works great for us, and includes cloud dvr storage. Plenty of streaming options if you need it or not...

Hope this helps.

We added a 14 inch riser for the back movi room seats. 3 in the back and 2 in the front seats 5. All movie room seats electric powered and are black leather with cup holders and all recline (backs and legs).

Good luck. Youll probably change it up once you get the initial will to start. Plenty of options and ideas once you get your seating arrangements thought out.

Offline Yosho

• Original Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »
               Took me a couple of redesigns to get that movie theatre feel
                  Painted walls flat dark beige as well as the ceiling
                  Installed audio mute panels in places that needed it
                   140" fixed screen w/ 4" velvet border
                  Blackout curtains,damn near pitch black during the day
                  Basic HT audio equipment and surround
                  JVC rs1 projector....Thanks again Yosho,he located a used one for my on The AVS classified forum
                  Darby video enhancer …..gives that extra pop your looking for
                  Clark tactile transducers aka Butt kickers,had to buy a 1500 watt separate amp for that.
    Most everything I bought used even the seating,HT audio and speakers were new.

NP, glad to hear the RS1 worked out for you!  ;)

To the OP, all of the responses here have some great advice.  The only thing I would add to it is to consider used equipment in your search. I know that can be a bit daunting when you're first getting into the hobby, but home theater equipment has a steep depreciation in price once it's used and a model or two generation old.  The technology rarely changes much, so if you're willing to buy used, you can save a lot of money and/or buy a higher quality item for the same price as you'd have spent new. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:18:01 PM by Yosho »

Offline IlikeGame

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 09:37:10 PM »
Is there attic access about the HT room?

Offline murfe88

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 10:00:55 PM »
Thanks for all the good info. Yes there is attick space.

Offline IlikeGame

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 07:58:15 PM »
Have you considered running 7.1 in the ceiling? There are some really great sounding 8" speakers on the market Origins Audio even makes a 10" in-ceiling speakers. You can even combine with in-walls so you have a low and high range of attack. This is something DTS-X and atmos can take advantage.

Your rears and sides are fixed to go right over your head. If you can angle the sides down it would help a bit. The rears seem spaced out too far apart vs the side placement.

Let me know if you need any amps. I have two of them that I am not using.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:06:45 PM by IlikeGame »