Author Topic: Good Omens  (Read 171 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Good Omens
« on: June 12, 2019, 05:14:26 AM »
The first episode of Good Omens is quite well done. It's a comedy about the biblical apocalypse. Son of Satan, hellhounds, that sort of thing.

It's also in that sweet spot where I read the book, but it was long enough ago that I remember very little of it, other than basic plot points and that I enjoyed it. It's a collaboration between the late Terry Pratchett and Niel Gaiman.

It's on Amazon Prime (and therefore it's out everywhere if you don't have Prime), and all episodes are out, only 6 total. Pretty sure it's a one-and-done series too, since there was only one book.

Good cast. Many well-known actors. David Tennant plays the main demon and is suitably over the top with it.

I'll definitely watch the rest.

Got to get to the somewhat-similar American Gods season 2 as well, another Neil Gaiman adaptation. Season 1 was decent, though not amazing IMO.

Offline stf

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Re: Good Omens
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 09:48:05 AM »
Good Omens is my fav book ever. So let's add this one to the watching list! Thanks for the tip

Online MikeMaynard21

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:02:27 PM »
It was really enjoyable to watch. It did leave hints for a second season.
Monster Bash LE, Rob Zombie Spookshow LE,The Addams Family, Scared Stiff, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Creature From The Black Lagoon, The Walking Dead (sold),Tales From The Crypt (sold) Twister (sold), Star Trek Next Gen (sold), Black Rose (traded), Riverboat Gambler (sold) X-Files (sold), F-14 Tomcat (sold), Gorgar (traded), Funhouse (traded)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 10:44:04 AM »
Finally finished this.. yes it was really good! Loved all the actors, always nice to see Miranda Richardson back on screen and Micheal McKean seems to be popping up in a lot of stuff these days which is great.

Script was well done, I think Neil Gaiman did a good job and the Pratchett humor really shines through. If there's a slight against it the show does reach it's climax pretty early in Episode 6 leaving a lot of Epilogue but it's all fine.

All of the Pratchett adaptations have been great so far.. if you haven't checked out Going Postal look it up.. I think I saw it on Amazon Prime as well.

Good Omens also re-inforces why British television is usually better. Contrast it with a recent American show that also deals with a similar theme.. Sabrina the Teenage Witch on Netflix. That show is so fucking stupid.

As far as a 2nd season I'm not sure Gaiman would do that without Pratchett but supposedly they had briefly worked on some ideas for it before Pratchett died so who knows?