Author Topic: Price Check: Routed METLE  (Read 672 times)

Offline Jason_Jehosaphat

• Level 1: Arrival
Price Check: Routed METLE
« on: June 22, 2019, 08:13:10 PM »
Calling any/all Stern LE market experts:

I'm looking at a routed METLE but I need appraisal help.

Audits show 5K paid credits.  Add to that 1K plays from the current owner.  PF looks good.  No scoop wear.  Just the slightest bit of bruising in the shooter lane.  No Cliffys anywhere.  The PF on this game was made by CGC - as were all Stern PF's during this time.  Only recently has Stern been making its own PF's and they're using softer plywood, etc.  METLE predates that switch and the hardness is reflected in the minimal wear on this PF.  Cab' decals are fine, as is the armor.  Coin door looks clean enough.  Backglass is fine.  It seems to have been well maintained.

What is a fair sum to pay for a machine like this?  HUO METLE is $7.4K all day, but how much less valuable is a routed example?  Is it worth even $6.7K?  If I buy it, will I struggle to sell it in six months for even $6.4K?

LE buyers pay the big coin to have the most collectible machines.  Why would they want my LE when my time comes to sell?  Won't they turn their noses up at it?

I've been in the market for a MET Premium for a while.  In this case, I can buy this routed LE in stock trim for the same money as a HUO Premium with a color DMD.  Is it a smart investment or isn't it?  What is a fair sum to pay, knowing I will resell in a year or less?

Thanks.

J

Offline bjones

• Administrator
  • Level 8: Psi Corps
  • Game Collector
Re: Price Check: Routed METLE
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 08:43:44 PM »
collectors don't want a routed LE.  it will sell as a players machine priced accordingly.

Offline Jason_Jehosaphat

• Level 1: Arrival
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 09:11:15 PM »
Thanks, BJ, for your input.

Offline DK

• Level 10: Timelord
  • Account retired
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 10:35:45 AM »
Condition is everything 99% of the time.

When the words “LE” and “routed” are put in the same sentence you’re going to have a hard time selling, unfortunately.

Offline wildeboutpins

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 11:11:21 AM »
safe at 6k but not much more depending on conditoin of cab and playfield in my opinion...i usually am able to buy routed le pins for 6k or less ...

Offline RAW POWER

• Raw Power Amusements / The Pinball Lounge
    • The Pinball Lounge
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 06:53:34 PM »
Condition is everything 99% of the time.

When the words “LE” and “routed” are put in the same sentence you’re going to have a hard time selling, unfortunately.

Yes. This is because "routed" is an outdated term. I actually consider it derogatory in certain circumstances. The problem is that back in the 90's and 2000's a majority of pinball operators didn't take proper care of their machines, so a "routed" machine would have tons of plays, lots of dirt, wear and tear, and a good chance of cigarette smoke smell. Nowadays a good portion of pinball operators are enthusiasts whose pride and passion for the game shows through in the quality of their machines.

I think that the price of 6.7k is fair if the machine has been well taken care of. 6000 plays on Six year old machine is pretty darn low. It didnt have a rough life when it was on location and I'm sure that any kinks in functionality have been worked out by it's current owner.

Offline DK

• Account retired
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 06:59:17 PM »
Yes. This is because "routed" is an outdated term. I actually consider it derogatory in certain circumstances. The problem is that back in the 90's and 2000's a majority of pinball operators didn't take proper care of their machines, so a "routed" machine would have tons of plays, lots of dirt, wear and tear, and a good chance of cigarette smoke smell. Nowadays a good portion of pinball operators are enthusiasts whose pride and passion for the game shows through in the quality of their machines.

I think that the price of 6.7k is fair if the machine has been well taken care of. 6000 plays on Six year old machine is pretty darn low. It didnt have a rough life when it was on location and I'm sure that any kinks in functionality have been worked out by it's current owner.
I agree Kurt. I was hoping someone else was going to jump in instead of “nah, HUO is HUO and routed is routed”

Offline WannaTheater

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 09:30:04 PM »
Is it a smart investment or isn't it?
Not trying to be a smart a$$, but pinball is for fun.  Not investment.

If you want a smart investment, check out the following:
https://www.bankrate.com/cd.aspx

That being said, condition is key.  Not the number of plays.  Assemblies can be fixed.  Plastics can be replaced.  But wear on the playfield, hugely messed up cabinets, etc., require skill, time and $$$ to fix.
Are there big drill holes in the front of the cabinet that held a huge security bar?  Is the coin door mangled from crowbars trying to get in?  Does is smell like an ashtray?  How about a credit dot?  Each of these means $$$$....  And also a point to reduce the amount you should pay :)

Good luck with your decision.
Pins: Iron Maiden, The Addams Family, Simpsons Pinball Party, Fish Tales, Goldeneye, Terminator 2, No Fear
Arcade: Galaga (MAME), Ice Cold Beer, Defender (JROK-multi), Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr

Offline Baiter

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 09:52:15 PM »
The HUO label is intended to reflect a condition, typically implying very low plays, maybe even single owner, and meticulous care.  The reality is games can be beat up in a house over time the same as on location, or even taking an HUO to a 3-day show, and then getting all kinds of criticisms about whether or not it's still HUO (you look hard enough you'll find those discussions here).  There have been plenty of zero play NIB pinball machines with rust and acid damage revealed over the years.

To reiterate, condition is king.  Labels are just intended to be a short cut description for condition.
WTB: Defender, Embryon