Author Topic: Seatbelt replacement  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Seatbelt replacement
« on: July 23, 2019, 02:17:20 AM »
My Dad has a Mazda SUV, a CX-5 (I think) and the front passenger seat belt has locked up. It hasn't been in an accident or anything, and the other belts are fine.

It's out of warranty, but he thinks that the manufacturer (or dealer) is supposed to be responsible for replacing it for 8 years or 80,000 miles - and his car is under both.

Not sure what he's basing that on, I can't find much on Google. Knowing my Dad it may just be something he made up and then decided was true.

He took it to the dealer but of course they want $500-$600 to replace it. I think the part can be purchased for around $65 or less.

Any idea if they actually are responsible for replacing the belt for free, and what the limits are?

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Seatbelt replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 12:46:29 PM »
I have a CX-5

Base warranty is 36,000 miles or 3 years.

They aren't going to replace anything after that unless there was a recall.

Offline k7

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 01:06:38 PM »
you have to dig up your specific warranty paperwork. mazda is as six posted...and a dealer would find a way out of that for a seatbelt anyway (they'd call it a normal use/wearable item...). :)

seatbelts...usually..are an easy to source and easy to replace item. i've done a lot of them over the years. did you trying to pull the crap out of it, release that internal spring latch? might rebound back to life.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 01:09:16 PM »
First car I ever had was a 1978 Trans Am.

The seat belts had been cut out, guess that was the popular thing to do in the 70s. Made it easier to get to your beer probably.

Anyway we went to a junk yard and found replacements. Wasn't that big of a deal. Definitely wouldn't pay $600.

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 01:25:27 PM »
My Dad has a Mazda SUV, a CX-5 (I think) and the front passenger seat belt has locked up. It hasn't been in an accident or anything, and the other belts are fine.

It's out of warranty, but he thinks that the manufacturer (or dealer) is supposed to be responsible for replacing it for 8 years or 80,000 miles - and his car is under both.

Not sure what he's basing that on,

Probably thinking of the federal emission warranty: https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100NNQH.pdf

8 year / 80K miles for certain items (catalytic converter, etc.) but only if your local government requires the repair, basically if you live in a area that requires auto inspections.  :P

But yea, I'd get a seat belt from a junk yard.
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 04:19:19 PM »
Thanks all.

When it didn't come up in a Google search I figured he was just in fantasyland again. Kind of always been a standard thing with him.

When I asked him where he got that idea he said "The Internet". Sigh...

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 05:41:45 PM »
Thanks all.

When it didn't come up in a Google search I figured he was just in fantasyland again. Kind of always been a standard thing with him.

When I asked him where he got that idea he said "The Internet". Sigh...

My mom gets her iffy (ie inaccurate) information from "That guy on TV in the morning"... so I know how that goes.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 06:03:56 PM »
My mom gets her iffy (ie inaccurate) information from "That guy on TV in the morning"... so I know how that goes.

Yeah, then they ask you what kind of TV (or whatever) to buy, you do the research, give them a recommendation and they come back with "I don't know, Bob from across the street says Zenith is the best, so I'm probably gonna get one of those."

I wouldn't trust Bob to properly operate a spoon.

Offline Yosho

• Original Member
  • Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 06:44:22 AM »
Check the owners manual and/or call the dealership. Acura/Honda/Nissan/Toyota (and others?) used to provide lifetime (of the car) seatbelt replacements.

Offline k7

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 04:10:02 PM »
good hint. mazda doesn't seem to do this, but honda does. i have a weak retractor in my 05 beater civic...i wonder if they'll fix that, since technically, it works and no SRS light comes on.

WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.