Author Topic: IT Chapter two  (Read 207 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
IT Chapter two
« on: September 11, 2019, 01:45:53 PM »
I liked 2017's IT, while it's debatable if the Pennywise is better than the Tim Curry version.. they both are well done and certainly the production values on the 2017 version were higher.

Have to admit I was a little apprehensive about chapter 2 though. It's obviously eschewing the 'flashback' motif of the book and 90s version instead in favour of splitting the two timelines into separate movies. How does that work? Well not so well unfortunately.

The big problem is all the really compelling stuff is in the Kids timeline.. there we see them discover and fight Pennywise and albeit temporarily.. defeat him. The adult story is good way to frame this and setup the final battle but it's really the flashback stuff that's compelling. In Chapter 2 they try to incorporate flashbacks (including anarchronistic Mortal Kombat arcade machines)  but it's mostly more of the same stuff we saw in the first chapter which causes it to lose impact. For what it's worth the adult cast is good and their scenes aren't bad but they lack the freshness of the first film.

The movie is also 3 fucking hours long which didn't really seem necessary. It's never totally boring but you do feel it towards the end. We caught the 9pm showing which meant it was after midnight when the credits rolled. It gave me flashbacks to The Hobbit movies. Sure it was well done but damn, editing goes a long way. Plus it didn't seem like Chapter 2 significantly expanded on the story that the 90s version managed to do in half the runtime.

Bottom line it's not bad just long winded. If you enjoyed the first part give it a go just pack a lunch. If you were on the fence wait for a redbox.

Offline tufnel1530

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Re: IT Chapter two
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 02:52:27 PM »
Ugh... 3 hours?

I was curious to maybe check that out but not 3 hours curious.

I think I can count on one hand movies over 2 hours that are worth that amount of time.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 06:40:37 PM »
I've really got to get around to watching the first one.

With a book that long it kind of made more sense as a mini-series.

I'm guessing they left out the middle-schoolers gang-bang scene from the book?

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 08:52:43 PM »
I've really got to get around to watching the first one.

With a book that long it kind of made more sense as a mini-series.

I'm guessing they left out the middle-schoolers gang-bang scene from the book?

They did, stated it didn't serve any purpose to the movie adaptation and also it would have been in bad taste to put the minor-actors through the process of acting anything related to it.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 01:10:08 AM »
I had to look up the orgy scene, good gravy. It's a wonder King doesn't get more shit for stuff like that. The most I ever got into a stephen king book was The Stand and even then I threw in the towel about half way through.

But yeah the movie is really long, definitely longer than it needed to be. Not bad but

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 04:42:03 PM »
I don't disagree, there was the scene when Billy takes off to save the kid and goes to the carnival.  It didn't really change anything concerning the movie, seemed like unnecessary filler.  There were some other scenes that could have been cut too, maybe taking it down about ten minutes or more.  Overall I think it was great though, mixing both flashbacks and scenes that continued from the first movie into the second movie.  Its a complicated book so I imagine it was hard fitting it all in, but overall I really enjoyed the cinematic version of this book very much. 

Offline ratsflif

• Level 8: Psi Corps
  • All your base
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 07:58:16 AM »
There was a Mortal Kombat II arcade next to the Street Fighter.  The flashback was supposed to be 1989 but MK2 didn't come out until 1993. Movie ruined...
Gyruss, Metal Slug 6, Neo Geo 4 slot, Operation Wolf, Shinobi, Aliens, NBA Jam, Omega Race, Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label, Espgaluda, Strikers 1945, Double Dragon, Ultra Street Fighter 4 AE, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Unlimited, Die Hard, Cocktail w/60-1, Bubble Hockey, Stern Star Wars, T3, POTC, JP, LAH, BR, NGG, ACDC, FT, Vector, Iron Maiden

Offline PinPup

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 04:19:26 AM »
Thought the first part decent, will wait for it to stream. Did they have the sense to provide an intermission, or was in a three hour slog through? I think intermissions are a dated concept of the past, but why? Maybe we should ask Walowitz where he bought the tube connected urine bottle to strap to his shin. It probably wouldn't  look good with my shorts though.
Games Owned: Countdown, Gilligan's Island, Joker Poker (YES!), DWHO, EATPM, GRAND LIZARD, 60 Multicade
Past Games Owned: Stock Car EM, Cherry Bell, Black Pyramid, Jokerz!, Hang Glider, Capt. Fantastic, Nip-It, Pro Pool, Dimension, Bally Supreme (wood rail) Genco Spitfire (wood rail). Arcade: Defender, Robbie Roto. (Got carried away at an auction on Roto, sheesh!) WTB: Centigrade 37, Alien Poker

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 09:17:58 AM »
No intermission.  It runs about 15 minutes longer than it should.  There are some parts that seem unnecessary but I can see the dilemma too; 1000 page book that straddles two different time lines, 27 years apart, with a cast of 8+ main characters.  So how to cram all of that in under 120 minutes would be tough.  I thought it was a good job and close to the book, and the best Pennywise possible, albeit it wasn't perfect.....but Ill take it over the other offerings to date.