Author Topic: Used computer (GPU) advice  (Read 2251 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Used computer (GPU) advice
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 01:11:11 PM »
Quote from: hamster
That's processor is horrible...  your getting the cpu for free in that combo, becuase thats' what its worth.. spec wise, its slower then a turd.

it's actually 3 times as good at 3 times the cost, too. six's deal is $124.95 right now vs $385.99...hey, i understand the budget build. :)

Don't listen to Hamster. He likes to recommend S550s to people asking for a cheap sedan. Is the S550 a nicer car than the Camry? Of course it is, but it also costs a hell of a lot more.

The Ryzen 3 3200g isn't exactly a top of the line CPU but it's far from garbage. It's faster than the I5 that they recommend for the Vive:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4590-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-3200G/2604vsm824486

Plus it's highly unlikely that the 3200 is going to bottleneck your 4-5 year old GPU.

There are of course other options but buying PC hardware is a slippery slope as there is always something slightly better for more money.. so it's very easy to get way over your budget very quickly. If the goal here is to build something that can run the vive for the cheapest amount possible then that 3200g is a solid deal.

If you want to go higher Ryzens of all makes go on sale pretty regularly. For example Newegg has a Ryzen 5 2600 for $119 right now:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13471840-amd-ryzen-5-2600-6-core-3-4-ghz-3-9-ghz-max-boost-socket-am4-65w-yd2600bbafbox-desktop-processor-119-99?v=1&src=SiteSearch

You'd need to add a cheap mother board which will put you closer to $200 for both.. so it all just depends on your budget versus performance. The 3200 would get you going but a 2600 would obviously have a longer lifespan.. but by the time the 3200's speed becomes a problem CPUs will be a lot cheaper as that will probably be a few years down the road.. so once again slippery slope. If the budget allows the Ryzen 5 is probably worth it but you are almost doubling your CPU costs so something you'll need to decide.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 01:16:08 PM »
So using this as a reasonable starting point I can price things to see what building a computer cost if I want to do one from scratch.

I'm assuming the BOM would just be this?

CPU/Mother board - $135
GPU (used) ~$150
RAM 8 GB minimum - $?
Hard drive - $?
Case - $?
Power supply - $?
Operating system - $?

Am I missing anything? Case fans? Hardware? Cables? Heat sink paste? I don't know what is generally included when you buy a case, CPU, etc. Just never built a computer before  :P

Hard Drive - You want at least an SSD, roughly speaking that's $30 for a 250gb and $50 for a 500gb. $20 extra will get you a nvme which would be faster still but the SSD is fine.

Ram - 8gb is around $30, 16gb is around $60. I don't think i'd do 32gb in this as it's probably overkill and you can always upgrade later. I would consider the 16gb though.

Case - These start at $25 on amazon. As long as there is some attempt at airflow you are probably OK as you aren't exactly overclocking or anything nuts. In my entire life i've never spent more than $60 on a case.

Power Supply - $50, try to get something that has some sort of 80+ rating. That doesn't mean it's great but usually means it's not complete garbage either. Once again hit up that EVGA sale tomorrow as they always have power supplies.

Operation System - $0 <wink wink>

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 01:19:06 PM »
My I7-4790K is technically faster then the Ryzen 3 posted, and i also have a GTX 1080... Games on an M2 Sata.. and 32gb of ram, and it STRUGGLES to play many of the newer games badly ( like Player Unknown Battlegrounds and ROE )

If your PC can't play Pubg with a 1080 there's something horribly wrong.

Here's somebody playing Pubg on the 3200 using the intergrated graphics.. ie no extra video card

It's nothing spectacular but it's staying well above 30fps. Once again that's without a dedicated graphics card.

Definitely not "core 2 quad" levels and apparently better than what you are seeing on your setup :P

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 03:05:20 PM »
30fps? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

that isn't going to cut it for real gaming... esp with a VR... in order for VR to work well, you need 2 monitors @ 60fps MIN....  otherwise your going to get a headache real fast...
http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RCT, DW. DE:ST, DP , AbraCaDabra
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, (2) Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Taito Classics, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom]

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 03:18:51 PM »
30fps? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

that isn't going to cut it for real gaming... esp with a VR... in order for VR to work well, you need 2 monitors @ 60fps MIN....  otherwise your going to get a headache real fast...

Yeah imagine what it could do with a video card.

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 04:05:01 PM »
Also, all the setting were "low" in that video, and the CPU is hitting 70-99% ..

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, (2) Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Taito Classics, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom]

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 04:11:06 PM »
Also, all the setting were "low" in that video, and the CPU is hitting 70-99% ..

The CPU wouldn't bottleneck any $150 video card he's going to buy.

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 04:21:34 PM »
im just saying.. spend the extra $100 and buy a Ryzen 5... a Passmark 8K cpu is going to suck for VR..

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 04:28:27 PM »
Operation System - $0 <wink wink>

You can download the Windows 10 install image for a USB key for free, totally legit, from Microsoft.

It'll install and run forever without a key number, un-activated, which only disables a few minor features.

Easy to activate though; just go through any old Windows 7, 8 or 10 keys you've got - including the stickers on the bottom of old laptops, etc. and type those in; one of them will likely work and you're done.

You can also buy the grey-market keys on eBay for $5 to $10. Those generally work, sometimes require phone activation though.

Offline k7

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 04:54:01 PM »
Microsoft should pay ME for running that garbage Windows 10 on anything around here. :P
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2019, 05:59:31 PM »
im just saying.. spend the extra $100 and buy a Ryzen 5... a Passmark 8K cpu is going to suck for VR..

Well I mean you can always get something better if you are willing to spend more money.

I don't know why you are so down on the CPU, it's fine. 8k is a decent Passmark score. VR is heavily reliant on GPU anyway.

The 3200 comes VR certified from AMD and if you google Ryzen 3 and Vive you'll find plenty of people using 1st and 2nd generation Ryzen 3s with no problem with the Vive so this 3rd gen one should be just fine.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2019, 06:00:05 PM »
Microsoft should pay ME for running that garbage Windows 10 on anything around here. :P

You are running Windows ME what?

Offline k7

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2019, 06:05:12 PM »
You are running Windows ME what?

10 is a step below Windows ME. :)
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline SpineyNorman

• Administrator
  • I'll have Double Jim Bourbons
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 09:56:48 PM »
Having played ROE with Hamster I can attest it's not his PC that can't play  8)

I built my son a ryzen5 2600 rig and with an old R9 390 he gets 60+ fps in ROE on high settings
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:16:25 PM by SpineyNorman »
TANSTAAFL 

I'm available for parties, own my own donkeys. Very clean.
If you can read the forum you can figure out Craigslist, constant updates are tedious at best

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer?
Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
i love windows 10... and i love NVME drives....