Author Topic: Used computer (GPU) advice  (Read 860 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Used computer (GPU) advice
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2019, 09:42:50 PM »
Jack is waving the AMD flag...who'da thunk it.

Intel got complacent and AMD got it's shit together for once. I'm not married to any one brand..

Offline Mamushka

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2019, 07:38:24 AM »
I would just spend the $50 and get the 3200g, that way you'd have a modern Mobo with all the bells and whistles, no fear of it not running your video card, etc. plus you could upgrade it down the line.. makes more sense than investing in something that's basically a dead end.

Damn you and your logic...  :P

You're right. I'm basically looking at maxing out the old Motherboard and with the new one I'd be at the lowest end of it's capabilities. Think I'll still put the old computer together but with the original CPU (so no money is wasted) get the video card, power supply, etc. and hope he can get some use out of it. With Christmas and B-Day money he could then get a Ryzen (possibly even a 5).
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH.
Past Pins: IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline k7

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2019, 12:22:32 AM »
Jack is waving the AMD flag...who'da thunk it.

he's waving the flag to keep that damm thing cool. 10 fans just isn't enough. ;D

and yes, i'm kidding.
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2019, 02:39:34 PM »
i am liking the new AMD , intel needs to stop hugging trees.
http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RCT, DW. DE:ST, DP , AbraCaDabra
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, (2) Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Taito Classics, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Rampage(pi), Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, +

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2019, 10:15:42 PM »
I think my first computer had a AMD K6 233 MHz CPU  ;D

The first computer that my family had was a VIC20 with the cassette tape drive :P
Past Pins: IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's

Offline Mamushka

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2019, 01:39:30 PM »
So purchased a Radeon RX580 GPU for $93 shipped and a 610W power supply for $25 shipped. Even though the benchmark score of my free computer is about 1500 points below the recommended minimum everything appears to be working  :) The free computer had a bad HD so I used the old HD from the boy's Alienware Alpha when we updated it to a SSHD.

My $25 power supply had "8 pin" listed in the description so I thought it was good. Turns out it was 8 pin for the mother board, not the GPU  :P. It did have the (2) 6 pin GPU connectors so I plugged in 1 of them and jumped the sensor pin to ground. Everything is working now. I will modify the connector as it is currently running (3) 12V wires with (2) negative wires. When I modify it I will have the equivalent of a regular 8 pin connector ((3) 12V and (3) negative wires).

I really appreciate the info here as I am out of pocket exactly $118 to put together a system that runs the boy's Vive VR set.  ;D