Author Topic: Super Duper Grover III Pre-announcement Details  (Read 2061 times)

Offline pinballcorpse

• Level 10: Timelord
  • Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
Super Duper Grover III Pre-announcement Details
« on: October 27, 2019, 09:20:36 AM »
The Super Duper Grover format is returning! The event was at max capacity last year. NOTE NEW REGISTRATION RULES BELOW.

Quick Info:

Where: Coral Springs/Parkland area, FL

Host/TD: Jeff Palmer
Email: pinballcorpse at yahoo dot com

When: Saturday, December 28, 2019

How many: 30 players max. No guests, casual players or spectators.  Waitlist after that.  Expansion of field at TDs discretion.  No guarantee field will expand.

Format: 2 strikes event. Last place gets a strike. All players will be randomly grouped into 4 player groups. In each round, all players will be playing on a specific era that will change every round. More details to follow.

How to Register: IMPORTANT!!! Registration begins Saturday November 2nd, 2019 at noon. 

Registration may be via email to pinballcorpse at yahoo dot com or PM this site or the FTP Facebook page.

PLEASE DO NOT send pre-registration PMs, texts, or post an RSVP on The Village or the FTP FB site prior to that.

This is to give people a chance to see the announcement. Florida Tournament Pinball fortunately is so popular now, things are filling up before many even know about the post. I feel this experiment is a little fairer, but will probably still lead to complaints :)

Thanks for the supporting Florida Tournament Pinball !!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 10:11:45 AM by pinballcorpse »
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline pinballcorpse

Re: Super Duper Grover III Pre-announcement Details
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 07:05:31 PM »
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 08:37:26 AM »
Reminder that registration opens Saturday at noon. 

Thanks for the interest in this event.

Offline deadlander

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 05:20:03 PM »
This is just like pinburgh  ;) set your autodialers to stun!! ;)
Al
Danny,  there's a lot of.... Well badness in the world today. I see it in the court everyday. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber.... didn't want to do it.... felt I owed it to them.

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 08:19:47 AM »
I’ve had several people joke about that, saying they are setting alarms etc. 

As I mentioned earlier, this method was intended to avoid the luck of the draw situation where the people getting in just happened to be online at The Village and/or FB when a TD posted a tourney, which was also some random time. (It’s not like all new tourneys are initially announced on Tuesdays at 6pm).

The fact that this registration method even needs to be considered says quite a bit about the explosive popularity of tournament pinball.

There are over 500 registered IFPA players in the Florida SCS. About 80 players have been in 10 events or more. About 150 Florida people have played in 5 events or more.  It’s amazing. 

Hoping it works out.  It’s an experiment. I’m sure I’ll get feedback :)

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 01:06:32 PM »
The event officially sold out in about 30 minutes. A waitlist is already in effect.

People really took the registration start time seriously. 

I will respond to the emails, FB posts and PMs individually and will provide the address to those who might not already have it.

Thanks for the support.

Jeff

Offline k7

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 03:26:57 PM »
i JUST read about this...

just kidding. best of luck in the last-ish tourney of the year? :)
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 03:37:32 PM »
Thanks. It’ll be pretty close to last one. The past 2 times there was an SCS shakeup after these points posted.

Should be interesting.

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 11:08:17 AM »
Details on the upcoming Super Grover III format. 

Please read to become familiar with the rules of the event.

Registered players will receive an email, or text shortly via the address or number you provided.  If for some reason you do not receive the email or text by Friday December 27,  please contact me. 

If you registered via the FTP site, please send me an email address or text number.

If you did not receive an initial notification that you are registered, then you are probably on the waiting list. 

RECAP of Format:

Style of Tournament:  This is an IFPA sanctioned 2 strike event with best of 1 matches with 30 players maximum.  Each player will play a Round in groups of 4 where possible or in groups of 3 if there are not sufficient players to create 4 player groups. ONLY LAST PLACE receives a strike. Process continues each Round until one player remains.

Start time:  Players should arrive by 11:30 am.  Round 1 will begin at noon.  Registered Players will receive an email/text with the address.

Registration/Entry Fees:  Preregistration is required.  No walk on players. 30 players maximum.  The cost is NOTHING. There will be prizes for players 1-4. Ties will be settled as necessary to settle top 4 places.   

NOTE: Players will not be added to the tourney after the start of Round 1.  If a Registered Player is running late for the start of Round 1 for whatever reason, let the TD know in advance via phone call or text and the player will be grouped in Round 1 as if the player were present, but that player will receive a score of zero for that Round and a strike.  If a player misses the first 2 Rounds, the player will be treated as not attending and their results will not be submitted to IFPA for WPPR points.   

Round Times/Attendance.  After Round 1 which begins at noon, there are no set Round times, but it is important to make sure the Rounds move quickly.  Once all groups are done in a Round, the results will be entered and a new round will be randomly generated, which will begin promptly.   

If a player is still involved in the tourney, but is absent at the start of the next Round, that player will be grouped as if present, but will receive a zero and strike for that game.   

To ensure the tourney moves along quickly, do NOT continue playing if you know you are safe.  The format is such that you only need to score higher than one player in your group.

CONTINUING THE MAKING IT FAIR TRADITION:

Everything that you are familiar within the strikes format will be in place BUT:

In an effort to improve the “fairness” of the format, (ie complaints of getting stuck playing those dreadful X type of machines while others always seem to get those preferred Y type of machines) the following will occur:

Games will be chosen at random from N styles of games. (Number of banks and styles of banks may change, but format WILL APPLY)

Example N=3 banks with the following styles (For example)

Bank 1:  2” flipper EMs
Bank 2:  3” flipper EMs and early solid state games
Bank 3:  DMD games

In round 1, ALL PLAYERS will play from a particular bank that is chosen at random.

For example, round 1 might consist of Bank 2 which could consist of games like Volley, Joker Poker, Paragon and Centaur. (Again, subject to change)

Banks 1 and 3 would NOT be used that round. 

Groupings of players on the games to be played from the chosen bank, as well as order of players will all be randomly generated.  This is the typical protocol everyone is familiar with.

The players would be distributed across the available games (4 in this example). If there are 30 players, there would initially be 4 groups of 4 players across the 4 available games (16 random players) with there being some wait time for the other 14 players.

For the remaining 14 players, the computer will have also generated groups and games, those players will just be waiting.

After round 1 is finished, round 2 will consist of a different bank (chosen at random) that was NOT played in round 1. Same process.

Round 3 will be played on the bank that remains (if only 3 banks).  Same process.

After round 3 (assuming only 3 banks used) the next bank will be chosen from the remaining 2 not just used in the previous round and so on. This process will repeat through the tourney until the final match. 

In other words players will not play the same game OR type of game twice in a row. 

What to do while waiting:

Since initially there will be more players than games, there will be waiting.  There will be quick side tourneys for prizes and casual games available for play while you are waiting or if you have been eliminated.

While the main tourney is in progress, playing casual games in any of the tourney banks will not be permitted.

Players still involved in the main event should be respectful of everyone’s time and always be available to play in the main event when called, rather than making everyone wait. Use common sense and good time management when getting involved in side events.  If a player is supposed to be in a group but is playing on another machine that is not involved with the current match, that player will be given a one minute warning to stop their other game and get to the main game.   

Other rules:

Rules for malfunctions, stuck balls, playing out of turn, tilting another’s game, etc. will follow IFPA/PAPA rules used for most events.  A printed, written summary will be available on site for reference.

Code version used on modern games, number of balls to play, disposition of playing extra balls, points for specials and extra balls, etc. and other pertinent information will be posted on games to avoid guessing by the player.

Final thoughts:

No random system is perfect and some players may be grouped with previous opponents multiple times or have to play repeat machines or machines they simply don’t like.  Please do not ask for a regrouping. The system is designed to at least equally distribute the game types. 

In any event, I feel this will provide a more exciting and fair strike format for players.

Any questions, ask. 

Looking forward to it !

Jeff

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »
SDG III emails sent out to those who registered and provided me an email address. Contact me if you have questions

Offline sebacoqui

• Level 3: Hologram
  • everybody knows
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 12:16:57 PM »
plenty of sixes received. 8)
EBD, BK, Superman, Pinball Magic, TWD, Fireball '72, GoT , Amazing Spiderman , Frontier, hulk, IM,JP

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 12:32:23 PM »
plenty of sixes received. 8)

Todo el mundo sabe :)

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 11:26:43 PM »
Some last minute details

Arrival is 1130 am, tourney at noon or as close as possible to that time. 

There is no “practice” per se.  Everyone is at the same level. Yes, they are my games, but consider this: I have never won this event and I “practice” on these games all the time. And lastly, of course, this is just a 2 strikes event, not a major.  :) 

Game list
2” flipper games

Kings and Queens 6 balls (yes, 6)
Central Park 6 balls (yes, 6)
Wild Wild West 5 balls, with AAB on
College Queens 5 balls

The two 6 ball games work as follows:
Play a normal 5 ball game as a single player (they are both 1 player games)
Record your score
Repeat for all players based on software generated order
After all have played the 5 ball game, each player gets ONE EXTRA BALL on a newly started game. (Still playing the same title)
Add the 1 ball score to the previous 5 ball score for grand total
Order of play for bonus ball round is current high score first, then next higher etc.
Strike based on final grand total.  Lowest grand total = Strike.

(Trust me, most people will be glad to have that 6th ball-they play pretty quick)

3” EM/Early Solid State
Volley 5 balls
Joker Poker 5 balls
Paragon 3 balls
Centaur 3 balls

DMD
LOTR 3 balls
Iron Man 4 balls (yes, 4)
Star Trek Premium 3 balls
Scared Stiff 3 balls

Ball savers OFF where applicable. Plunge accordingly.

Code version and game setting changes will be clearly posted. Physical game modifications such as rubbers missing/added or posts missing/added are to be observed in person.

Note on wedgeheads TILT ENDS GAME (also posted)

Extra balls are off unless noted on game.

Some games have a SAFE score threshold.  If you reach this, stop playing.  This keeps the game/round from needlessly dragging on.  If all players reach it during the game, then no strikes will be awarded. (It has yet to ever happen).

If there is no SAFE score listed, play it out.

Similarly if you know you are guaranteed to be ahead of one player, stop playing.  There are no awards for wizard modes, GCs etc.  (The threshold is well below the GC)

The SAFE score threshold will NOT APPLY to final 4 players grouped on a game. Play it out.

Rules for stuck balls and malfunctions will be printed out for consultation to avoid confusion. 

Quick overview will be given in person tomorrow.  It’s all pretty straightforward

Thank you

Jeff

Offline notime2play

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 08:51:57 AM »
Thank you Jeff and Nancy for your hospitality. Nice day with good freinds.

Offline NormaJ

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 08:56:55 AM »
Great fun as always, and the games were in top-notch condition. I think Wild Wild West will soon become one of those sought-after old Gottliebs, too. A lot of fun with the people who mean the most. Here's to more fun and friendship in 2020!

PS: The "Ball 6 Twist" might find its way into future tournaments!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 09:26:19 AM by NormaJ »