Author Topic: 24 Hours with the Dudes: Formal Tournament Announcement  (Read 2643 times)

Offline pinballcorpse

• Level 10: Timelord
  • Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
Re: 24 Hours with the Dudes: Formal Tournament Announcement
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 08:56:53 AM »
I applaud the Dudes, NormaJ and crew and the die hard players for taking this on.  The level of dedication to tourney pinball is impressive!

As always my feedback is meant to be constructive, as I greatly want to see tournament pinball in Florida thrive.

Comments:

What’s in a Name: I agree while “24 Hours with the Dudes” was never advertised as such, there was definitively an initial perception that it was going to be either a flip frenzy or similar to matchplay for 24 hours straight like the Sanctum event up north which has a similar title.

I told several people asking me after the initial posting and even as late as FPF that was NOT the case, but sometimes initial thoughts are hard to change. 

Timing: The holiday weekend is a tough time, especially occurring right after a long 3-day weekend at FPF.

24 hours of qualifying is plenty. The only suggestion would be maybe start a little earlier in the afternoon on day one.  Maybe 2pm  to 2pm ? That way if finals start at 3pm they can end early enough on Day 2. 

The finals started at 6pm, but there were only 8 players.  And there were 4 games per round. If there were 16 players in finals as anticipated, then add another round to what occurred.  That’s a long potential 2 days for everyone.

Cost: I thought the pricing and description made sense, but then again I understand the language of a “PAPA ticket”. 

In my experience, money math is weird for some pinball players.  On one hand the same type of people who will gladly pay $220 to play exactly 40 games at Pinburgh (required show entry fee plus tourney fee) will argue 7 games for $20 in a Herb Style is not a good value and costs too much to compete. Fact: $120 buys 42 qualifying games at FPF or most Herb Style events. 

(As explained in one of my various Pinball Tourneys 101 articles, set a budget; nobody is forcing a player to “pump and dump”)

Cost Suggestion: Since nobody used all of their initial entries and had to buy in again, maybe consider calling it a flat fee of $50 and a player can play all they want. (Think Point Monsters Main).  Players love that concept.

Format: I don’t think this deterred people. I think most players are somewhat familiar with it now.  There have been 5 PAPA Style events at the Asylum and 1 at John I’s years ago (that was the first in Florida).

The concept is only challenging when understanding how ranking points are tallied and that you compete against yourself. On the most basic level, I usually tell people just pick 5 games you like and play them.

Having a fixed fee as describe above eliminates pressure for some people.

In closing, I would like to see this happen again, and hopefully I can make it, particularly since it is in my easy travel area and I love the format.

Thanks again to everyone for their efforts and passion for competitive pinball. 

“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline NormaJ

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 09:26:12 AM »
Thanks to those offering suggestions and input. Keep it coming!

To some degree, when you do a new format you need "evangelists" who can spread the message of what it was like. Sometimes people don't want to be the first to try something new. Totally understand that. Hopefully the few and proud who came out will spread the word among the group and tell them what it was really like.

The holiday weekend was, to me, the biggest inhibitor. Next time around we'll socialize the format and expectations even better. (I am throwing against the wall right now that the entry fee could have been $40 for 20 tickets and we would have enticed a few others. Pure speculation there, and I think we'll just take the whole thing behind the curtain and mull it over for next time.)

As always, don't think that I have a monopoly on any format! The Asylum is going to try a Flip Frenzy this month. (Awesome!) And I am hoping someone else will start trying some "long format" tournaments. (Hey, why not do a 12-hour qualifying instead of 24? Start with bagels and coffee at dawn and end with a pizza dinner at dusk?)

In 2020, I am hoping we will see even greater variety in tournament formats. Let's give all the Florida players the chance to succeed in formats where they excel best. Not all of us can hit holes in one at Pin Golf, and some people choke early on in strikes formats. Keep it fun and force your opponents to be the best all-around players they can be!

Offline k7

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2019, 08:27:07 PM »
i was there, and i even misunderstood this format...and how to play the "game".

it was $50, for 25 tickets. each ticket represented 5 games. so a player could play 125 games and choose power tickets (highest score) and top single game tickets to enter, that would knock other competitor scores down. it's a neat concept that i didn't get until about 3 hours into the event.

i don't do much tourney pinball. but i had actually thought it was $50.00, for 25 tickets, which translated to 25 games/entries. most of the time, a pinball game ticket translate to 1 game. not here.

vince passed around the "corpse chronicles". holy crap, it helped so much on the fly during the actual event.

24 hours of pinball is nuts. i can get annoyed after 3 games on one machine. michelle should wake up thursday, and i won't see nick for a full week.  ;D

next year, off-holiday timing, avoid other IFPA events, and name it "4-ish hours with the dudes, and 20 hours thinking about if you entered the right ticket(s)"

or the "Mountain Dew Year-End PinballDudezPaloozza"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:28:44 PM by k7 »
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2019, 09:14:53 PM »
i was there, and i even misunderstood this format...and how to play the "game".

it was $50, for 25 tickets. each ticket represented 5 games. so a player could play 125 games and choose power tickets (highest score) and top single game tickets to enter, that would knock other competitor scores down. it's a neat concept that i didn't get until about 3 hours into the event.

There were different types of tickets? I thought it was standard PAPA format.
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline k7

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2019, 09:48:50 PM »
There were different types of tickets? I thought it was standard PAPA format.

no, all the same tickets. i'm ad-libbing what you said in choosing what game tickets to enter into the database, where a player could enter a ticket that only had one single high scored good game, off of an overall "poor" score ticket, for the purpose to knock down other player points on that 1 game, making the ticket player's overall score "better".

WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline pinballcorpse

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2019, 09:51:30 PM »
no, all the same tickets. i'm ad-libbing what you said in choosing what game tickets to enter into the database, where a player could enter a ticket that only had one single high scored good game, off of an overall "poor" score ticket, for the purpose to knock down other player points on that 1 game, making the ticket player's overall score "better".

I see. I misunderstood.

Yes, there are some interesting tactics that can be employed :)