Author Topic: Faucet water-filter recommendations?  (Read 189 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Faucet water-filter recommendations?
« on: November 04, 2019, 07:17:17 PM »
So I've got this ice maker;

https://www.amazon.com/Opal-Countertop-Nugget-Ice-Maker/dp/B0751KDVTP/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=nugget+ice+maker&qid=1572912684&sr=8-3

And it's pretty good overall, but it says to only use bottled, distilled water in it. That's expensive and impractical. I use tap water. I've got hard water though, full of minerals - generally doesn't bother me, but the ice maker doesn't like it. It gets clogged up over time, and the cleaning process is a pain in the ass, and it's getting more and more frequent.

So I'm looking at water filters for my kitchen sink; one that will easily just attach to the existing faucet.

"PUR" and Brita seem to be the main 2 brands, both appear to use the razor-handle & blades model though - the main unit is fairly cheap, the filters get pricey fast.
The Brita mentions that each filter is good for 100 gallons - but on a kitchen sink that's what, a month, tops?

Any recommendations for a filter? Different brands, etc. It needs to filter out the mineral crud.

Maybe something I can easily switch on or off? So that I only filter the water for the ice maker and it lasts longer? Day-to-day my tap water is fine for most other things; doesn't have that over-chlorinated taste that a lot of places suffer from.

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: Faucet water-filter recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 08:57:44 PM »
i use a pur screw-on filter on our bar sink. it gets very little use as far as filtered water...flip a knob, straight city water:

...we refill a 5 gallon zepherhills 5 gallon water cooler at publix, cost $1.25 a refill for that. for the pur filters, online will be @ 25% of the cost of them in a brick&mortar. good luck.
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:07:23 PM »
I use something like this next to my pumps, but larger.

eBay-Whole House Water Filtration System 2 Stage Under Sink Counter Top Home Filter. $40
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 09:33:47 PM »
i use a pur screw-on filter on our bar sink. it gets very little use as far as filtered water...flip a knob, straight city water:

That's great, thanks. Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for - an easy way to switch it on or off to make the filter last (without having to remove the whole thing).
My tap water is really fine as-is for most things, just need it filtered for the ice maker and maybe a few other uses.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:36:10 PM by Niloc »