Author Topic: Oil based pens  (Read 228 times)

Offline NorthPortFL-Pinball

• Level 1: Arrival
Oil based pens
« on: November 03, 2019, 08:16:09 PM »
If you use oil based pens for playfield touchup, do you use Sharpie brand or another brand?

Thanks everyone.
Current Pins: Cyclone, Hurricane, Firepower (our first pinball - We love this pin and want to totally restore it)

Current Projects: Joker Poker

Past pins: Cue Ball Wizard, The Who's Tommy, Jurassic Park, Bay Watch, Gilligan's Island, Night Moves, etc.

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: Oil based pens
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
sharpie paint pens kind of...suck.

decocolor, elmers are the ones i gravitate to.

treehouse studio pens dry up too quickly.
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline weeze

• Level 9: Grid Champion
  • "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:23:25 AM »
you know, I thought it was just me , zero artistic skills. Ive made a lot of messes with those Sharpie pens. You definately recommend the 'ELMERS" eh?
 I really never touch playfields, I simply cannot decide on what is a match. I use the pens elsewhere. If you say ELMERS is the way to go thats good enuff for me.
Current Pins and Stuff: Walking Dead "kill them walkers, yeah ", Hurdy Gurdy, Batter Up, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, the totally awesome and historic,"CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
 Bally 873 slot machine
 Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Games come thru here all the time!
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, slots, firearms and assorted other stuff.
 WTB: A decent KINGS & QUEENS with a GOOD playfield Also have a AK-47 I would consider trading.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 05:02:46 PM »
Are the decocolor and elmer's oil based? 

I thought I read somewhere that elmer's was water based...
Current Pins: Cyclone, Hurricane, Firepower (our first pinball - We love this pin and want to totally restore it)

Past pins: Cue Ball Wizard, The Who's Tommy, Jurassic Park, Bay Watch, Gilligan's Island, Night Moves, etc.

Offline k7

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 10:29:44 PM »
decocolor is oil based. i can't find out on the elmers, except that it's permanent. i'm equally happy with how both work out.

sharpies are also oil based. in general, their coverage sucks, and the colors didn't mesh well when i blended them in. i have several of the sharpies on-hand. they're just my last choice.

sharpies also don't have the system where you depress the pen head to get ink to flow thru. i think the sharpies are nothing more than bigger permanent-ish markers with a price hike.

here i used a ton of pink from a treehouse studios pen on a backglass (some hands and parts of their faces were blown out). it came out good. but, it was a pretty new pen, and the tip was shot. i pulled that out and basically used the paint and a dab brush to do the work (i have no yellow, or brown, need to finish this glass up). on the same note, i only have/used a red sharpie paint pen as well...it just doesn't do the job:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:35:49 PM by k7 »

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 07:04:24 PM »
K7,
I'm looking at Amazon and the decocolor pens only seem to see individually. Do you normally purchase those in a batch?

Offline k7

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 07:21:27 PM »
K7,
I'm looking at Amazon and the decocolor pens only seem to sell individually. Do you normally purchase those in a batch?

i purchased my decocolors locally, but that was years ago. surprisingly, none of them have dried up.

it's barely worth buying singly, the shipping for 1 pen kills value.