Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 309 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
The Mandalorian
« on: November 16, 2019, 05:57:16 AM »
No thread about The Mandalorian?

Only seen the first episode so far, and it's decent.

Not amazing, at least compared to the original movies - depends on if it's judged vs. those or vs. other TV shows I guess.
Compared to more recent Star Wars it's a miracle that it's just not insultingly bad. FX are great for TV, OK vs. movies.

It's a space-Western, at least so far. Definitely feeling some heavy Firefly influence.

The fan-service bits are pretty blunt and obvious, but I suspect that'll die down as this finds its own identity (hopefully).

The bounty-droid is pretty great, though it leads back to unanswered questions like "Why the hell don't they use those for everything?".

It's good enough to keep me watching for a few episodes at least. First one is only 38 minutes or so too, surprisingly short since they don't have to account for commercials, and if they are planning to sell it for syndication that's room for a hell of a lot of commercials in a 1-hour timeslot.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:03:56 AM by Niloc »

Offline CUJO

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
Re: The Mandalorian
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 09:44:29 PM »
I binged (LOL) both episodes tonight it. Good production values and cool to see the farmer, (Nick Nolte), in it too (voice).
Definitely held my interest,
Will keep watching but not sure when Episode 3 is going to drop...
Current Pins: ST:PRO,MET:PRO, SOUTH PARK, WOZLE#947, BOP, FGY, TSPP, ST:TNG, KINGS OF STEEL, FRANKENSTEIN, DM, PHARAOH, LOST IN SPACE, STINGRAY, WCS94, METEOR, SPACE JAM, AMIGO, POPEYE, ALIEN POKER, CAVEMAN, HOUDINI, DILE#0829, MBrLE#0566
Video:  Vertical/ w/BABYSTAR 465 in 1 BOARD
Past Pins: Shaq Attaq, X-Files, Space Station #1, WhoDunnit?, Space Mission, Bally Lost World, Space Station #2, MotorDome

Offline PinFever

• Pc Gamers Battle company ( OUTLAW )
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 09:52:53 PM »
HERE

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 10:15:49 PM »
Weekly makes sense. I'm surprised any of them still do the "drop the whole season at once" model; I mean it's a subscription service, the name of the game is to get people to stay subscribed for as long as possible.

8 episodes seems good too; I'd much rather have fewer episodes at higher quality with less filler. I'd feel differently if there weren't about 10,000 shows competing for my time, but as it is, shorter is better. I wonder if this is a "split season" deal though where it'll come back for the 2nd half in the spring? I'm fine with 8 to 10 episodes per year for anything in this format. More for short-form comedy, but for any drama/action/hour-long type shows that's plenty.

Offline CUJO

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 12:29:28 AM »
Current Pins: ST:PRO,MET:PRO, SOUTH PARK, WOZLE#947, BOP, FGY, TSPP, ST:TNG, KINGS OF STEEL, FRANKENSTEIN, DM, PHARAOH, LOST IN SPACE, STINGRAY, WCS94, METEOR, SPACE JAM, AMIGO, POPEYE, ALIEN POKER, CAVEMAN, HOUDINI, DILE#0829, MBrLE#0566
Video:  Vertical/ w/BABYSTAR 465 in 1 BOARD
Past Pins: Shaq Attaq, X-Files, Space Station #1, WhoDunnit?, Space Mission, Bally Lost World, Space Station #2, MotorDome

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 06:04:22 AM »
2nd episode leans way more into comedy, but it works, mostly.

Even shorter, just over 30 minutes. Still too long to fit it into a 30 minute TV timeslot with commercials though. Weird.

The music kind of reminds me of The Martian Chronicles.

Assuming Episode 9 is the train-wreck we're expecting (and it'd be a god damned miracle if it's not) it's interesting that they released this just before it. Guess it was a no-win situation though; if people hated Ep. 9 and then The Mandalorian came out, it might lower interest in the series. Go with the series first though, and everyone will be saying "What, the TV version is better than the big-budget movie?".

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:19:25 AM by Niloc »

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 02:39:28 AM »
Finally caught up on this.

Yeah it's pretty good. It's not spectacular or anything but it's worth watching and more entertaining than the last 2 Star Wars theatrical films (not that it's a big feat).

At least there's some semblance of a story here. Obviously this was heavily influenced by Lone Wolf and Cub but with a Star Wars slant.

Lots of nice references without getting to fan service overload-y.. but I was surprised they had so many nods to The Holiday Special.

If nothing else it's not horrible which is a win for the franchise currently.

Offline deadlander

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 06:08:10 PM »
I’m liking it but I’ve been disappointed so many times by Lucas and company. After episode V all of the movies have left me crestfallen that I’m gun shy on this series. Hoping we don’t see another Ewok village that ruined return of the Jedi just to sell plush toys.  Return to the yoda plannet where there are thousands of those cute guys running around is my reoccurring nightmare.  The action is great, I like the humor just waiting for Disney to screw it up for marketing purposes. Feel like an abused dog flinching at the slightest move by my masters hand. Thankfully Verizon is picking up the tab for the next installment of Star Wars disappointment. 
Danny,  there's a lot of.... Well badness in the world today. I see it in the court everyday. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber.... didn't want to do it.... felt I owed it to them.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 05:49:01 PM »
Oh, baby Yoda toys. That's why they released this in November. Suddenly that makes much more sense, even if it does kind of conflict with Episode 9.

Walmart.com is covered with them. First "Funko Pop" toy that kind of makes sense as-is too.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:45:05 PM by Niloc »

Offline tufnel1530

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 05:30:59 PM »
Off topic a bit but the new Star Wars Jedi fallen Order video game is actually pretty good... I almost didnt buy it because 95% of star wars games suck.

Its pretty much Tomb Raider in Star Wars land but its fun.

Maybe some good stuff will come out here and there.