Author Topic: Avenue 5  (Read 317 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Avenue 5
« on: November 18, 2019, 10:59:27 PM »

This has a ton of potential. Reminds me of Starship Titanic - the Douglas Adams / Terry Jones computer game, with some of the "Floston Paradise" stuff from The Fifth Element mixed in.

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: Avenue 5
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 01:39:01 AM »
Looks interesting, can’t wait to see how it progresses.

HBO
Set 40 years in the future, Avenue 5 follows the captain and crew of a luxury space cruise ship as they navigate disgruntled passengers and unexpected events after experiencing technical difficulties onboard.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 06:07:05 AM »
First episode is out and it's interesting. A lot of setup, very fast-paced, it throws a lot at you in a short time.

It's a half-hour show, which surprised me at first, but it looks like they're treating it as a straight-up comedy so that's probably wise. None of that "dramedy" bullshit.

Hugh Laurie is reliable as always. People who only know him from "House" might be surprised but anyone familiar with Blackadder (or a ton of other British comedies) won't be.

I'll need to see more to really form an opinion, but the first one kept me interested and I'm definitely up for watching the next one.

I think "Picard" is out now too (or at least it's out on the internet). Haven't gotten to that yet though.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 06:09:19 AM by Niloc »

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 05:57:33 AM »
Lot of potential, but so far it's not really paying off with this show, IMO.

1st episode decent, 2nd one not as good, 3rd a bit better, 4th back to not so hot.

Occasional good jokes, but overall... just needs more. More story, more explanation, or just to be funnier more consistently.
If it's not going to be solidly funny the whole time then I at least want some backstory; why is the billionaire character a billionaire if he's also a buffoon? Got lucky with a dumb idea or inheritance or ??? It needs some kind of explanation.

It's not funny enough to work as a pure comedy, and not interesting/engaging enough to work as sci-fi.

It may be getting there but it's taking too long to develop. Might give it up at this point, or maybe watch 1 more and see if it improves. Signs point to no. Disappointing, but we're at a weird time where one less thing to watch is not really a bad thing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 06:01:30 AM by Niloc »

Offline Steve O

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 09:12:34 AM »
I watched the first episode and thought it was meh.  It sounds like it doesn't get much better which is unfortunate.

Offline RussG

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 12:42:22 PM »
I tried watching it and it was horrible in my opinion. Not funny and crappy story.

Offline MikeMaynard21

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 10:25:32 AM »
This may be one of the worst shows I've ever seen, and I watch a lot of crap.
Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle, Monster Bash LE, Rob Zombie Spookshow LE,The Addams Family, Scared Stiff, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Creature From The Black Lagoon, The Walking Dead (sold),Tales From The Crypt (sold) Twister (sold), Star Trek Next Gen (sold), Black Rose (traded), Riverboat Gambler (sold) X-Files (sold), F-14 Tomcat (sold), Gorgar (traded), Funhouse (traded)