Author Topic: The top rated pinball player in the world is...  (Read 627 times)

Offline NormaJ

• Level 6: Knight Industries
The top rated pinball player in the world is...
« on: December 03, 2019, 06:10:44 PM »
https://www.ifpapinball.com/rankings/overall.php?s=r&t=100

You know who! Consider that he has played an abbreviated schedule this year. But he made every appearance count. Also, FPF Classics is not figured in yet, so his real number is even higher.

And note that there are now 6 players with ratings over 2000! Everyone is getting better at the same time.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:12:51 PM by NormaJ »

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
Re: The top rated pinball player in the world is...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 06:35:16 PM »
I thought he retired  8)
http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RCT, DW. DE:ST, DP , AbraCaDabra
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, (2) Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Taito Classics, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Rampage(pi), Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, +

Offline deadlander

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 10:00:20 PM »
Whats to hold up on the classics reporting... Asking for a friend... ;)
Al
Danny,  there's a lot of.... Well badness in the world today. I see it in the court everyday. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber.... didn't want to do it.... felt I owed it to them.

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 10:51:38 AM »
Whats to hold up on the classics reporting... Asking for a friend... ;)
Al

hmm.. That should of been posted by now... Womens and Mains are up.
http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RCT, DW. DE:ST, DP , AbraCaDabra
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, (2) Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Taito Classics, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Rampage(pi), Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, +

Offline Ron Donohue

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
    • My Gameroom
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 11:25:58 AM »
I am confident IFPA received the results of the Classic tournament, along with the others.  Only they know the reasons why things get reviewed and posted in the order they do.  All our tournament directors can do is submit the results in a timely fashion and then it is outside of their control, unless there is some issue that IFPA sends back to them.  It is annoying to wait, particularly at this time of the year when incremental points can really impact State standings.  I hope they get the numbers out soon.

Offline weeze

• Level 9: Grid Champion
  • 3 Inch Flippers are for the Sight Impaired!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 09:40:36 PM »
Who? Never heard of him.
 I thought DK got the low score at golf. How come hes not the best? DIdnt he win the golf outing or was it because he shot from the woman's tee?
If you put titans on the sling shots of a Walking Dead, the ball will jump over and land in the shooter lane. This is not good as this kind of thing might break a plastic. I removed them. HAWKNOLE said that that was the right thing to do.
Current Pins and Stuff: Walking Dead "kill them walkers, yeah ", Hurdy Gurdy, Batter Up, Flipper Pool, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, the totally awesome and historic,"CANDY APPLE" RED Astro, which I'll trade for a "Kings & Queens".    
 Bally 873 slot machine
 Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Games come thru here all the time!
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, slots, firearms and assorted other stuff.
 WTB: A decent KINGS & QUEENS with a GOOD playfield.

Offline pinballcorpse

• Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 01:03:01 AM »
The rating system is much more volatile compared to the WPPR ranking system.

One tourney can create dramatic rating swings, both up and down. 

Case in point: Eric dropped from 1 to 19th after Al’s event and we know he didn’t play anyone in the top 20 of the world at Al’s.  That’s a big change for playing in a 1/2 day local strikes event.

Whereas that result would NOT affect his ranking since it would not register on his top 20 resume. Even more curious is that if Eric won (looks like it was about 30 points), it barely would have improved his overall ranking since his lowest top 20 value is more than 26 points. He might have moved one spot.   

Those points from rating boosts can also fluctuate and have a butterfly effect which is why sometimes point values for tourneys will go up or down based on the lag from other tourneys not yet entered. 
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline NormaJ

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 08:36:06 AM »
The rating system is much more volatile compared to the WPPR ranking system.

One tourney can create dramatic rating swings, both up and down. 

Case in point: Eric dropped from 1 to 19th after Al’s event and we know he didn’t play anyone in the top 20 of the world at Al’s.  That’s a big change for playing in a 1/2 day local strikes event.

Whereas that result would NOT affect his ranking since it would not register on his top 20 resume. Even more curious is that if Eric won (looks like it was about 30 points), it barely would have improved his overall ranking since his lowest top 20 value is more than 26 points. He might have moved one spot.   

Those points from rating boosts can also fluctuate and have a butterfly effect which is why sometimes point values for tourneys will go up or down based on the lag from other tourneys not yet entered.

What is missing from these rankings and ratings is a graph showing overall trending over time. And even that is an imperfect way to measure someone.

Of course, this is the same problem that chess players have. You may be "highly rated", but who have you been playing all this time? The minute you face someone with your rating that took a harder road to get there you get whomped.

I still like the overall rating/ranking system only to give a rough idea of the caliber of players you are playing against. Eric Stone is one of those once-in-a-generation players who can dominate anyone virtually anytime. But the only reason I know this is because I have played him myself and seen him play others of a high caliber.

The very nature of pinball makes it difficult to measure the person playing it. Every other sport I know features players who have total control of their equipment. (A chess player never suffers mechanical failure of the board or its pieces!) But pinball is an object the players interface with, and every object is different. Even auto racing is not a fair comparison to pinball in terms of ratings because all the players compete with different equipment (that they own and control) but on the same oval. It's really hard to reliably compare one person playing one object against another person playing a different object somewhere else.

I still like these ratings and rankings for entertainment value. But I have learned not to let them run my life. A month and a half ago my ranking was in the 2000's and my rating wasn't far behind it. Now my ranking is in the 1500's and my rating went way up because I beat Eric. (And that's the only reason it's up.) Overall, so what?

But when one of our own excels I'm always rooting for that person, so let's hope Eric puts together another big winning streak soon so he can rule over those true believers.

Offline pinballcorpse

• Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 07:52:47 AM »

A month and a half ago my ranking was in the 2000's and my rating wasn't far behind it. Now my ranking is in the 1500's and my rating went way up because I beat Eric. (And that's the only reason it's up.) Overall, so what?

Your rating is not up from Al’s event just because you placed higher than Eric; it’s because you finished 4th/68 players. His rating dropped because he finished 41st/68 players. 

After the initial 5 required IFPA events to become established, the rating fluctuates tourney to tourney.

The IFPA rating calculation looks at the 32 players above and below a player’s finishing position at that tourney. Those below are treated as a “win” those above are treated as a “loss”.

So you “won” against 32 players and “lost” to 3 players. He “lost” to 32 players, “won” against 21 players and tied with 6 players.

The rating is more a snapshot in time, (which is why I say volatile) the ranking is long term.

Last quick example:

As of this post, (and it could change tomorrow) Johannes is the number one RANKED player in the world and has a rating 90th in the world.  That’s because he has 2 tourneys this month where he finished 24/91 and 63/85. Those 2 events would not affect his ranking since they are not in his top 20.

The IFPA system is a lot of fun to look at and has some merit, but as we and they know, it is not perfect or definitive.

(I mean, hey, I never leave Florida, how can I be “world ranked” :) )

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:58:57 AM by pinballcorpse »
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline NormaJ

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 03:25:27 PM »
He's not #1 rated anymore, but he's the IFPA's "Player of the Month". Congratulations, Eric Stone...again.

https://www.ifpapinball.com/nov2019potm/