Author Topic: Picard will be woke, probably suck  (Read 225 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Picard will be woke, probably suck
« on: January 14, 2020, 02:09:25 AM »
Latest from Sir Patrick Stewart

“I think what we’re trying to say is important,” he says. “The world of ‘Next Generation’ doesn’t exist anymore. It’s different. Nothing is really safe. Nothing is really secure.”

“I explained to them all those elements of ‘Next Generation’ which belong in ‘Next Generation,’ and why I didn’t want to go near them again,” he says.

“In a way, the world of ‘Next Generation’ had been too perfect and too protected,” he says. “It was the Enterprise. It was a safe world of respect and communication and care and, sometimes, fun.” In “Picard,” the Federation — a union of planets bonded by shared democratic values — has taken an isolationist turn. The new show, Stewart says, “was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the Federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed?’ Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought.”

Fuck man.

So anyway if you were holding out hope that Picard might somehow be OK even with all the restrictions on being actual Star Trek.. hope you like Politics because you are getting Politics.

No matter what you think about Trump, et al.. you probably can agree.. we're sick of Trump shit in media. I don't really care about seeing Star Trek turned into a current-day partisan political soap box.

Yes, old Star Trek attacked social issues but they didn't exactly target current administrations or things so specifically. Plus they did it within the Roddenberry vision, they didn't alter the entire thing to mirror 'Todays Political Climate'.

Honestly I just don't get it. Nobody wants this other than the producers. This will piss people off and they won't watch it just like the myriad of other attempts to over-politicize recent genre shows. I guess we'll still have The Orville but dammit.. another wasted opportunity.

Offline JaxGator

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
Re: Picard will be woke, probably suck
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 07:22:33 AM »
These shows arent made for die hards... they're made to satisfy a wider audience in a cash grab attempt.  My expectations are so low they can only go up.
Looking for working or complete but non working examples of: Dragon's Lair, Frogger, Ghostbusters pro pin

Past: Ms. Pac, Pac Cabaret, Tempest, Tron, NeoGeo 4 slot big red, Crazy Climber, Stargate Multiwilliams, MK3, Super Pac, VPinball widebody, SI Deluxe, Frogger, Baby Pacman, Berzerk cocktail, Mr. Do! cocktail, Galaxian, Frogger, Zaxxon, Joust

Offline Steve O

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 08:10:36 AM »
This is like when the Stones went disco.   :(

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 09:41:52 AM »
i am excited for it !

If you want tng, go rewatch it :D

people complain of "remakes" , but then when they stay away from being a "remake" people still complain..

Can't we just all get along and enjoy a hot cup of joe.
http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RCT, DW. DE:ST, DP , AbraCaDabra
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, (2) Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Taito Classics, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Rampage(pi), Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, +

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 10:22:48 AM »
These shows arent made for die hards... they're made to satisfy a wider audience in a cash grab attempt.  My expectations are so low they can only go up.

But they aren't really working, the ratings on most of the woke shows are terrible.. if it's an established show ratings actually drop.

In some cases it's just Hamster watching so they really should put in more references to CB radios and repairing obscure electronics instead of all the politics.

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 10:47:05 AM »
But they aren't really working, the ratings on most of the woke shows are terrible.. if it's an established show ratings actually drop.

In some cases it's just Hamster watching so they really should put in more references to CB radios and repairing obscure electronics instead of all the politics.

i have not turned on or used a radio in over 3 years good buddy, 10-4?

i don't consider arcade games obscure :D

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, (2) Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Taito Classics, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Rampage(pi), Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, +

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 11:33:54 AM »
i have not turned on or used a radio in over 3 years good buddy, 10-4?

i don't consider arcade games obscure :D

There are a bunch of older gentlemen that miss you and are worried. Please check in rubber ducky.

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 12:01:33 PM »
There are a bunch of older gentlemen that miss you and are worried. Please check in rubber ducky.

Sid follows me on Instagram, he is the only older gentlemen i care about.

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 02:06:58 PM »

Does he like it when you eat yummy ribs? When you get that BBQ sauce allll over.. he like that? Yeah he does.

Also Spiney is shedding a tear at your omission. Then again, he's no gentleman.

Offline tufnel1530

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 02:10:11 PM »
The new show, Stewart says, “was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the Federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed?’ Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought.”

Why do actors and celebrities think anyone gives a shit what they think?... oh right because people do.

Just put on your pointy ears and "act" the world can handle itself without your help.

Fuck Bono too.  :P

Offline Sid

• @!#?@!
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 03:49:40 PM »

Thanks Hammy.  I care about you too.
C.B.B.B.M. @!#?@!

Phil.

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 03:59:46 PM »

i forgot bjones, he is also older :D along with my family members.. :D

sadly, jack is younger LOL... so he should care about us.

Offline Yosho

• Original Member
  • Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 04:23:16 PM »
I saw Patrick Stewart in Denver in '92 at a convention. 20k+ fans showed up.  Mostly standing room only.  He was a dick.  Wasn't a fan of Star Trek, wasn't a Sci-fi fan, didn't understand his fans or care. In fact, of all the TNG cast cons I went to, he was the only dick.  Jonathan Frakes and John de Lancie were by far the best.  If this is "woke," it'll crash and burn like the rest. 

Offline SpineyNorman

• Administrator
  • I'll have Double Jim Bourbons
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 07:15:47 PM »

Get a room...I don't wanna hear about your "lemon party"
TANSTAAFL 

I'm available for parties, own my own donkeys. Very clean.
If you can read the forum you can figure out Craigslist, constant updates are tedious at best

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer?
Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Offline Sid

• @!#?@!
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 08:10:21 PM »
Get a room...I don't wanna hear about your "lemon party"

So jelly.  :P
C.B.B.B.M. @!#?@!

Phil.