Author Topic: Replacing a Lexus ES 330  (Read 1352 times)

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
Replacing a Lexus ES 330
« on: January 18, 2020, 08:43:39 PM »

So my Wife's Parents got into an accident over the weekend getting their Lexus ES 330 T-Boned. They both got banged up pretty good but luckily nobody got seriously hurt.

I'll be helping them find a replacement. It's mostly driven by my Mother-in-law and she's 100% about drive comfort as she has some back problems (probably worse now!).

Two big ones we'll be looking at are either a newer ES 350 or a Mercedes E-Class. Probably looking at 2015-2017 model years.. buying new cars is stupid, buying new luxury cards is crazy stupid.

Anything else to look at? Once again it's all about the ride not performance or anything like that. They wouldn't want an SUV. I'm a bit hesitant on most american brands and definitely no Korean junk.

Online k7

Re: Replacing a Lexus ES 330
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 09:48:08 PM »
that will buff out.

e-class, lexus 350, or a grand marquis. ;)
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline PinHobby

• Level 3: Hologram
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 11:11:03 PM »
Stick to Lexus. They ride great and obviously safer.
Wishing them speedy recovery.
Pins: ST PRO, STTNG, ST 25th Anniversary, Bally Star Trek,  POTC, Monopoly, Black Rose, WOZ, and Dialed In LE.

Offline Yosho

• Original Member
  • Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 04:02:13 PM »
Wow, glad they're both ok. 

I'd find out what they liked about the Lexus and then let that guide you. Did their car have much technology?  How comfortable were they with it?  This is actually what I find is the "arms race" in luxury vehicles.  If that's actually a net negative, you might want to steer them to a low milage older luxury vehicle (not German).  Plenty very very nice LS400/430/460 out there.  If they have to go newer, don't write off the Hyundai Genesis.  It's as good as the rest and maybe better in some ways. 

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 11:54:58 PM »
Wow, glad they're both ok. 

I'd find out what they liked about the Lexus and then let that guide you. Did their car have much technology?  How comfortable were they with it?  This is actually what I find is the "arms race" in luxury vehicles.  If that's actually a net negative, you might want to steer them to a low milage older luxury vehicle (not German).  Plenty very very nice LS400/430/460 out there.  If they have to go newer, don't write off the Hyundai Genesis.  It's as good as the rest and maybe better in some ways.

Yeah it's simple.. they liked the Comfort lol. Nothing else really matters. That's why I'm basically asking if there's anything out there in the same level as the E350 or Benz E-Class with the same ride we should look at. The LS is nice but they cost twice as much so not sure they'd want to buy a much older model to stay in that same price bracket (the LS would probably need to be a 2011 or 2012).

The Hyundai Genesis is a total piece of shit. I had 2 friends who bought one. Both pulled the 'No, no man Hyundai is better now and these cars are a great value' reason for buying them.

Friend #1's car had a bunch of minor problems and eventually developed some electrical issue the Dealership could never figure out that caused it to stall even at speed. This freaked him out so much he got rid of it. Never again he said.

Friend #2's car had a huge amount of problems. Almost nothing worked and once out of warranty stuff just started breaking. You'd get in the car and he'd have to tell you not to touch half the stuff.. like the Sunroof, etc. I was also unimpressed with the interior quality (knobs fell off or broke, etc), the fact that the AC never blew cold air despite him having it serviced multiple times, the one time the GPS took us on an insane wild goose chase.. or the fact that the Bluetooth didn't support Bluetooth audio (the fuck?). Most of the time i'd drive us in the Scion xB because overall it was a better ride experience. Eventually his kid wrecked it.. never again he said.

So yeah no I just can't find a compelling reason to roll the Korean dice, not when they aren't really that much cheaper than other options.

Online k7

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 10:50:31 PM »
i'd have to add, i've checked out 2 hyundai genesis v6 models at auction, and 1 turbo 4 cylinder. none of them ran. one of them actually didn't do anything with a good 12 volts going to it.

the 2 door turbo and the v6 options, from the early runs, do not look promising in the 2nd hand market, at least when i looked at the few i searched out.

again, i deal with much older crap. ;D but even 2010 - 2012 models should...you know. start? every g35 i jumped in at least, ran. and i've been in about 20 of those things.

and the older g35 model, sadly, is not a good reliable car.
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline kbvette

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 05:53:15 PM »

Toyota Avalon would be my suggestion,the newer version of the Lexus es350 uses the same chasis as the Avalon.We went from a Lexus es330 to an Avalon.Wife likes comfy as a couch driving experience that she had with the ES330,plus less money.
Pins Fish Tales,XMEN LE,DM,Iron Man,Corvette,

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 11:32:41 PM »
i'd have to add, i've checked out 2 hyundai genesis v6 models at auction, and 1 turbo 4 cylinder. none of them ran. one of them actually didn't do anything with a good 12 volts going to it.

the 2 door turbo and the v6 options, from the early runs, do not look promising in the 2nd hand market, at least when i looked at the few i searched out.

again, i deal with much older crap. ;D but even 2010 - 2012 models should...you know. start? every g35 i jumped in at least, ran. and i've been in about 20 of those things.

and the older g35 model, sadly, is not a good reliable car.

I don't get the Hyundai at all. Yes they are probably better now than they were years ago.. but they are also more expensive. The difference between a Hyundai and something better is probably only a few $k and to be honest it's worth that to me to not have to say

'Yeah that's my car over there, the Hyundai'

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 11:41:57 PM »
               Toyota Avalon would be my suggestion,the newer version of the Lexus es350 uses the same chasis as the Avalon.We went from a Lexus es330 to an Avalon.Wife likes comfy as a couch driving experience that she had with the ES330,plus less money.

I didn't know they still made the Avalon, we'll definitely check into that as well.

Offline Steve O

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »
I have owned a Hyundai and I have own a Toyota Avalon.  Definitely go with the Avalon!

Offline Mamushka

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 01:22:29 PM »
So JD Powers think you all are idiots with your anti Hyundai rants  ;D

J.D. Power names Genesis most dependable automotive brand

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/jd-power-genesis-most-dependable-automotive-brand

Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR. NGG
Past Pins: SM, IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 02:56:23 PM »
So JD Powers think you all are idiots with your anti Hyundai rants  ;D

J.D. Power names Genesis most dependable automotive brand

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/jd-power-genesis-most-dependable-automotive-brand

Yes, we always trust marketing firms right?