Author Topic: Picard Thoughts  (Read 5791 times)

Offline HFK

• Level 9: Grid Champion
Re: Picard Thoughts
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2020, 08:58:52 PM »
that guy was a total wimp... i think he was my least liked character.

I don't know, Neelix sucked pretty hard too.

Offline HammysHangout ( Hammy )

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2020, 08:59:36 PM »
I don't know, Neelix sucked pretty hard too.

oh damn, i forgot about that guy.. yeah...
https://www.coinopflorida.com | http://www.youtube.com/@hammysHangout | https://twitch.tv/HammysHangout

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins:  R&M, AMH, RCT, DW, DE:ST
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom], Tron

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2020, 11:20:27 AM »
Finally finished the last 2 episodes. Episode 9 was boring filler, Episode 10 was better than expected but not exactly great. I liked how Picard was able to talk down the final confrontation instead of them just having a large space battle. That was more consistent with TNG than all the beheadings and F-Bombs, also it was nice to see Picard actually do something.

There were still a lot of problems however. For example, how many plot points never really paid off?

Why was there a Borg cube in the show? It didn't really do anything. The answer is of course, because Kurtzman wanted to involve the Borg and couldn't figure out another way to get them all in one place.

Why did they have Picard die at the end? Probably because Kurtzman had an idea for the scene where he talks to Datas disembodied spirit and couldn't figure out any other way to get there. Of course the whole point of that was to establish the important of mortality but they did it by conceiving of a way that all people could become Immortal.. but at least it was a touching scene.

We could be here all day with other plot holes, contrivances (the hand tool of infinite plot devices, etc) and other issues. Making Seven of Nine apparently gay.. well somebody on the show has to be gay obviously and this will work better than making Picard gay, nobody wants to see him make out with anybody.. but its another thing that isn't consistent with the original shows as seven was definitely not gay on Voyager but once again whatever. It's not like anyone involved was really that into Star Trek probably.

The absolute biggest problem with the show though was the plot was overall fairly weak. It would have been a stretch to make this cliff notes version of Battlestar Galactica meets Mass Effect last 5 episodes and at 10 there's a huge amount of filler and tedium.  There was the odd episode that was paced fairly well (Mostly the ones Frakes directed) but this was not compelling television. Know those shows you get so involved in that you can't wait for the next installment? Picard wasn't one of them.

So overall still somewhere around a D or a D- for an overall rating. There's a few good ideas in there, a few characters with promise but we saw Script version 2 of a show that wouldn't be truly good until Script version 23. Also most of it simply doesn't feel like Star Trek. A show about a Space Pirate, a Lesbian Cyborg, a timid scientist who murders people, Space Legolas and an old Captain who's now a robot? Sounds like a failed Babylon 5 spin-off.

Offline Ddraig Werdd

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2020, 01:03:00 PM »
Hello all,

I have been away from the site for awhile and am catching-up, thus I thought I might comment here. Warning as there are some spoilers...

Overall I rather liked Picard. I like the extension from ST:TNG, as well as that it feels much more edgy than past Star Trek series and movies (save for the reboot movies starting in 2009). It has always bothered me that in Star Trek the answers seemed to be one tap of a screen away, which is maybe why I liked the Star Wars Universe more. Yet with Picard the characters seem more realistic with issues that cannot be as easily solved; heck I even liked the cursing. :)

I also liked how they treated Data and thought it clever enough that the main twins were his "daughters". I also liked how the writers gave Data an interesting farewell and that it was his wishes to pass on.

Are there issues I do not like? Yep. I was not a fan of both 7 of 9 committing murder nor was I a fan of Picard becoming an android. These both felt disingenuous and contrived to me. I also do not like that there has been little clarity on the main role of the Borg cube. I also feel that the Romulans seemed to be much more like Vulcans in this series, which is a bit off-putting.

Thoughts?

We shall see where the series goes in season 2.
Ad astra per aspera

Offline CUJO

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2021, 12:15:04 AM »
Almost a year later and I just finished watching Picard.
Grade: B-

Amazing how a Borg Cube falls prey to a couple of Space Orchids LOL and survives fairly intact...
Current Pins: ST:PRO,MET:PRO, SOUTH PARK, WOZECLE#947, BOP, FGY, TSPP, ST:TNG, KINGS OF STEEL, FRANKENSTEIN, DM, PHARAOH, LOST IN SPACE, STINGRAY, WCS94, METEOR, SPACE JAM, AMIGO, POPEYE, ALIEN POKER, CAVEMAN, HOUDINI, DILE#0829, MBrLE#0566, IM PRO, RUSH PRO, CCRLE#327
Video:  Vertical/ w/BABYSTAR 465 in 1 BOARD
Past Pins: Shaq Attaq, X-Files, Space Station #1, WhoDunnit?, Space Mission, Bally Lost World, Space Station #2, MotorDome

Offline PinFever

• Pc Gamers Battle company ( OUTLAW )
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2021, 03:40:57 PM »
Almost a year later and I just finished watching Picard.
Grade: B-/

B-  . i guess you enjoyed it. But then you like The Orville .lol
 See this is why garbage like this are continued to be made .  I think D minus  is more fair or an F for fail . A few scenes of Good retro Star Trek and then hey lets give it a Good rating.
 I have to be One of the Biggest Sci fi fans Ever and i thought it outright Sucked , helleva way better than Lower Decks but damn . my Child hood memories and Sci fi favs are going to chit .
 Maybe they can Do Lazer team Gets a Starship and Explores Space series . It would blow The Orville away because i found Lazer teams writing fking hillarious but did not crack a laugh in the orville Once and yet they made it to Season 2 .

Offline PinFever

• Pc Gamers Battle company ( OUTLAW )
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2021, 03:42:48 PM »
Watching the Orville was like watching a Dating Show in Space . Ha