Author Topic: Pinball Tournament to raise money for American Cancer Society: 29-Feb @ District  (Read 198 times)

Offline Mrtaz

• Level 1: Arrival
Pinball is the unification of people celebrating life.  On 29-February, District Eat & Play will partner with the American Cancer Society to raise money to fight this terrible disease.  Below please find a few details on the event.  I'll provide further updates by end of the week.

1) Date: Saturday 29-February (Yup .. it's a leap year!!)
2) Time: 12pm ET with additional starts times at 2pm and 4pm to enable as many people as possible to participate.
3) Location: District Eat and Play in the Oviedo Mall.  1395 Oviedo Mall Boulevard, Oviedo, FL 32765
4) Signup: Day of event.  Event will focus on enabling as many people as possible to participate; from champions to first-time pinball players
5) Cost: $10 entry fee; 100% of which will go towards the American Cancer Society.  $1 fee for new IFPA players.
6) Format: Still working on this.  Goal is to encourage as many players as possible to participate.
7) Prizes: Yes! :)  I'll have more details in the coming weeks.  Any prize donations are welcome.

The American Cancer Society will have a table on-site day of the event, will assist to plan/market the event and will participate in the competition!

I'll provide further details in the coming days.   In the meantime, I'll submit the event into IFPA and greatly value any help and assistance.  During the event, Kelly will provide his expert knowledge and services to keep the balls rolling smoothly in all machines.

Thanks and Regards,

Ted Takvorian
ted.takvorian@gmail.com
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:37:47 PM by Mrtaz »

Offline Mrtaz

Several updates to this rapidly approaching event.  Three separate Facebook Events https://www.facebook.com/DistrictEatandPlay/ (If you go today (17-Feb) you may see one, but eventually there will be three to help us handle the sheer number of advance sales and current limit of 70 players per event.  We may have to add more machines to enable more players per event and more donations):

Flip Frenzy Event #1 runs from 12pm to 1:30pm
    Flip Frenzy Event #2 runs from 2pm to 3:30pm
    Flip Frenzy Event #3 runs from 4pm to 5:30pm

All money collected goes directly to American Cancer Society (ACS).  District pays all IFPA fees.  Show up 20 minutes prior to start and have fun!!

Donations:
* $10 donation entry
* 50/50 raffle

Prizes
* Door prizes
* Competition prizes

Pinball Competition Details
* Limit of 70 players
* For one hour, players are randomly selected to play each other in a two player, head to head game on a randomly selected pinball machine.
* At end of hour, leaders compete for championship
* Collect prizes throughout while donating to an excellent cause
* This is an official International Flipper Pinball Association (IFPA) event.  All fees are covered by District.
* Games are free during competition.  You'll receive a card good for competition event + 1 hour afterwards to play video games.

Contact me with any questions or for additional information.

Offline pinballcorpse

• Level 10: Timelord
  • Join the Dark Side: Play Tournament Pinball
As a suggestion-it might be helpful to clarify how many "leaders" will advance after an hour of play. Top 4, 8, 16? Also what will the finals format be?

Best of success on your event!
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline Mrtaz

That's a great suggestion!  My initial thought is with 70 players, how about .. for each event .. the top 16 players advance to finals?  Challenge is to squeeze finals into 30 minutes.  So 16 players spread over 4 machines.  Thinking this:

1st Round: 1 strike.  Top player advances (total of 4 players advance to 2nd Round)
2nd Round: 1 strike. Players place based on standings of machine

Likely will limit play to "quicker" machines such as EM, etc.  Thoughts?  Is this possible? 

Offline Ron Donohue

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
    • My Gameroom
Just a note that in Flip-Frenzy type events, total time played translates directly into number of games.  The number of games largely  controls TGP, which is significant in determining the IFPA points awarded.  I think that your timing is tight, and 1:30 will not equate to enough games to get full points.  Also, the timing on the playoffs also seems tight.  But, I could certainly be wrong on these things.  Norma has run this style many times and may have some words of wisdom/advice to offer with respect to timing and maximizing points (As that can influence players willingness to play).  Good luck with your event.

Ron

Offline pinballcorpse

Copied over from my reply on FTP site.

Yes I have thoughts and things you might want to consider:

1) One hour is VERY quick.

2) With 70 people, that means 35 games would need to be available for everyone to play head to head at once. I don't know how many games are available, but I suspect there will be lots of people in the waiting queue at any one time watching the clock count down.

I am anticipating the potential for lots of ties. This will affect seeding for top X players. The software handles ties to an extent, but with 70 players and only one hour, there will likely be lots of dead on ties and a maybe an uneven distribution of games played due to people waiting. This could affect seeding for your finals which if it is only one strike (win or go home) could be a significant factor.

3) You might want to run a few test runs on matchplay to see how the event might pan out.

4) If finals are to be completed in 30 minutes, then yes, 2 rounds would likely be your maximum amount depending on specific games used.
“Winning (contests) isn’t the word. I won it once. The rest of the time you’re just defending” -Rodney Mullen, skateboarding legend

Offline pinballcorpse

Just a note that in Flip-Frenzy type events, total time played translates directly into number of games.  The number of games largely  controls TGP, which is significant in determining the IFPA points awarded.  I think that your timing is tight, and 1:30 will not equate to enough games to get full points.  Also, the timing on the playoffs also seems tight.  But, I could certainly be wrong on these things.  Norma has run this style many times and may have some words of wisdom/advice to offer with respect to timing and maximizing points (As that can influence players willingness to play).  Good luck with your event.

Ron

Even tighter.  Qualifying is only for an hour.