Author Topic: Hard drive bitching.  (Read 247 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Hard drive bitching.
« on: June 14, 2020, 11:34:25 PM »
Still working from home and I realized that this would be a good time to do my "every 6 months" backups to external hard drives. Only been 18 months since the last time I did it!

I've acquired many new files since the last time I backed up. Movies are the bulk of it, particularly since I've been trying to upgrade all my older standard-def files to at least 720p versions, usually 1080p and even a few in 4K. (side-note: don't bother with the 4K version of The Dark Crystal - it's actually too high-res for that movie, you can see the strings where you were never meant to.)

I realized that the 5 external drives I already had weren't going to hold everything, so I ordered another one. The price on an 12TB wasn't too bad, and it was either that or two more 8TB drives - and I'd rather have less to physically store, and also just leave the backup running for longer rather than have to swap out drives and continue the file copies.

The bitch of it is, a 12TB drive is actually 10.9TB of usable space. Doesn't even crack 11TB, sold as 12.
It's not news that drive manufacturers use bullshit terms & definitions to support their claims about how much their drives hold. Crap like "we define a megabyte as..." - when a megabyte (or gigabyte, etc.) already has a very solid definition. If I come at them with "Well I define a dollar as..." somehow that's not the same thing at all.

The problem is that the amount of "missing" space just gets larger and larger as drive capacities go up. The marketing diverges from reality more and more.

TV manufacturers, back in the CRT days, used to sell their TVs as "22 inches" (and only sometimes, in very small print, had "19 inches viewable") - because they listed the size of the picture tube, not the actual viewable screen size.
It got to the point where that was outlawed, and they had to list the viewable screen size. Somehow didn't apply to CRT computer monitors though, so it was right back to selling a monitor as "17 inches" (15 inches viewable). It's creeping into flat-panel displays too, though not quite as badly - there are a bunch sold as "42 inch class" (41.2 inches viewable size).

Need to revive that type of regulation for hard drives & SSDs - storage of any kind, because this is only going to keep getting worse as time goes on and capacities get bigger.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:38:21 PM by Niloc »

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: Hard drive bitching.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 12:35:48 AM »
They could have easily added a separate Edrive with restore and protective software to keep the big drive repaired and running, without taking away from the storage capacity.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »
They could have easily added a separate Edrive with restore and protective software to keep the big drive repaired and running, without taking away from the storage capacity.

I've seen drives (even small-capacity USB thumb drives) that come with "restore" software as you mention. That at least, is easily deleted for space.

This one didn't - it actually surprised me just how basic it was. Formatted, but that was it. Totally blank otherwise, not even a support text file or anything on it.

What I'm talking about is that it's listed and sold as 12TB, but the actual usable space on the drive, when totally blank, is only 10.9TB. It's down to hard drive manufacture's bullshit like "we define a megabyte as 1000 bytes" (it's 1024), or using "mebibytes" instead of "megabytes" - "mebibyte" being a term that ONLY the HD manufacturers use.

They've been confronted about these deceptive practices before and their "excuse" is just "We have to lie, because everyone else does, and if we don't then our drives will look bad in comparison."

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 09:11:27 PM »
it's a normal practice. i have 15 year old 512MB usb drives that don't have that space on it.  :roll:

not saying it's right. but it's not going to change or get regulated. it's not drugs or hydroxychloroquine. :P
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value