Author Topic: VAN HALEN  (Read 281 times)

Offline Eddie Z

• Level 3: Hologram
VAN HALEN
« on: July 27, 2020, 02:32:57 AM »
Any Van Halen fans? Been hearing rumors that Ed is very sick. And when is Wolfgang's album coming out. It's only been done since 2015. Jeez
Looking for a Star Castle. Will pay top dollar.

Offline tufnel1530

• Level 5: Power User!
Re: VAN HALEN
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 11:55:07 AM »
I was as a kid as I grew up playing guitar and it was pretty mandatory to learn van halen songs in the early and mid 80s..

I am one of those guys who hated the Van Hagar years though so sorry..  :P

Offline sinistar71

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • It all feels so right...when I fade into the night
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 10:25:04 PM »
I read an article and Wolfgang said he “expected to get a lot of hate” when his album does come out because it doesnt sound anything like VH.
I really like VH from the late 70s thru 1984, and I like Montrose and Sammy but I couldnt get into Van Hagar either.
Metallica- Pin*Bot- High Speed- Road Kings Spectrum Dart Star, 1930s Gottlieb grip tester,  Fortune penny scale, multi cocktail and bartop arcade machines-Rockola Princess 45 juke-NSM Eagle CD wall juke

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 08:39:26 PM »
Was a long time fan of Van Halen. Loved the Roth era stuff and eventually loved the Sammy era stuff as well. Extreme is one of my favorite bands of all time but even I instantly knew Cherone wasn't going to be a good fit, he apparently knew it as well but when Van Halen asks you to front them you of course say yes and just see how long it lasts. Van Halen III was mostly an Eddie solo album as he was calling all the shots which is why I think it was so terrible.

One of the best concerts I ever went to was a Sammy era Van Halen, I think it was the Balance tour. Not their best album but still a great concert.

When Roth left we kinda figured it was Roth's fault because he's insane. But the Sammy situation is different, all that points to the Van Halen brothers being complete douche bags. How they treated Michael Anthony was also complete bullshit.

I won't support any new Van Halen project with Wolfgang.. and I've had no interest in seeing any of their reunion tours.. it all just sounds like a train wreck at this point. The egos have gotten out of control and that band needs a strong front man to lead especially with the song writing but they haven't had that since Hagar left.

Offline Baiter

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 01:42:01 AM »
I recently read this book on VH's history... covered how Hagar came into the mix (he was actually around from the beginning), and all the dynamics between Eddie and Dave.  Super interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Van-Halen-Rising-Southern-California/dp/1770412638

And for fun a 1978 sound board recording

WTB: Defender, Embryon

Offline hawknole

• Level 4: Cobra Kai
  • Super Jackpot!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 09:55:47 AM »
I saw a Van Hagar show in Philly back in the day at the old Spectrum, good show.

A few years ago I saw the band with David, Wolfgang, etc & they were awful in my opinion.  David has no voice left & Wolfie can’t play the licks.  So it ended up being the Eddie show.

Sometimes when I see a band live, afterwards I like them better.  Other times I like them less, definitely less with latest VH.  That also happened with Joe Bonamassa for me.  Joe can play, I just got the sense that Joe was not original and NEVER cool.
Pins: LotR, MBrSE, BSD, BoP, IJ, JP Pro, Shadow
Retropie

Offline RussG

• Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 12:51:20 PM »
I'm not a Bonamassa fan either.  I know people that love him though.

VH was one of my favorites growing up but even though I bought 5150 and the album that came after I didn't really like Van Hagar.
I cringe thinking about that band and the sound.
It was 1978 to 1984 for me.

Offline tufnel1530

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 04:56:34 PM »

Sometimes when I see a band live, afterwards I like them better.  Other times I like them less, definitely less with latest VH.  That also happened with Joe Bonamassa for me.  Joe can play, I just got the sense that Joe was not original and NEVER cool.

Good to hear someone else say this..  :P

This guy has made gobs of money and he does zero that is original. Cant really even write a decent song...

He is basically a collection of ripped off clapton and eric johnson licks (he even admits this)

Just a sign of the times where everything is a copy of a copy or cover song... nobody does their own shit anymore and nobody seems to care.

Offline Baiter

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 02:38:49 AM »
Van Halen is one of the few bands I've never seen live.   To be honest I like a lot of the Van Hagar stuff, but without a doubt their best material was in their early years.  I've been watching several live shows from the 70's which makes it clear that was the golden era of rock.  if you are or ever were a VH fan, it's worth taking a look as back then there were no backing tracks, just 4 guys with raw energy.  Parts of the show below are reminiscent of a Led Zeppelin performance, something that doesn't come across on their recordings.

WTB: Defender, Embryon

Offline tufnel1530

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 08:50:29 PM »
This dude has a ton of old van halen video and audio including the 1981 tour which I had never seen before.

They were lethal as a rock band on a good night.. amazing they could play that well since they were hammered every night.

Pretty funny that the best quality video of the old years is the US fest in 83 and its probably the worst show they did because they had all day to get shitfaced.

http://www.youtube.com/c/RealCollector/featured