Author Topic: 8 track tapes?  (Read 190 times)

Offline sinistar71

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • It all feels so right...when I fade into the night
8 track tapes?
« on: July 27, 2020, 07:36:32 PM »
Was going through a bunch of stuff in my late grandfathers attic and found a panasonic 8 track player, in really nice condition. I went to the one used record store in town and they had a paltry selection of 8 track tapes for 50 cents each.. At first the player didnt work, but after watching a couple youtube videos I took it apart, cleaned the head and capstan and replaced the belt. Popped in a Uriah Heep tape and the thing played great! That is until the tape broke. Tried a Foreigner tape, but it was in such bad shape it wouldnt play. So that left me with one last tape, an unopened Mel Tillis’ greatest hits. Ugh.
It plays flawlessly, except for being Mel Tillis’ greatest hits.
Was wondering if anyone has any rock 8 track tapes in good shape? I wouldnt mind having a small collection to listen to in my office as a novelty sort of thing. Thanks!
Metallica- Pin*Bot- High Speed- Road Kings Spectrum Dart Star, 1930s Gottlieb grip tester,  Fortune penny scale, multi cocktail and bartop arcade machines-Rockola Princess 45 juke-NSM Eagle CD wall juke

Offline FUNWIZ

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: 8 track tapes?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 08:17:19 PM »
Big question, does it have the red record button so you can make your own tapes?  That would be the ticket!
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline sinistar71

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 08:46:36 PM »
Alas no, a player only. Its actually a car tape player in a “home” adapter that plugs into an outlet.
Metallica- Pin*Bot- High Speed- Road Kings Spectrum Dart Star, 1930s Gottlieb grip tester,  Fortune penny scale, multi cocktail and bartop arcade machines-Rockola Princess 45 juke-NSM Eagle CD wall juke

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 10:55:33 PM »
Never got into 8-tracks.

Having to wait halfway through track 4 just to hear the song you wanted to play was too much of a PITA even in 1981 when our family decided to invest in the format. (It was on deep discount in 1981, go figure)

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 11:16:54 PM »
In 1969, it was a great addition to the Camero, with the wedge speakers all around, playing the Beach Boys.
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline sinistar71

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 11:46:58 PM »
Definitely more of an oddity/novelty especially with any and all music available digitally these days. I like my 45 jukebox too, more for the nostalgia than the sound quality. Its fun to try to seek out the 45s ( and now maybe the 8 tracks) with songs I liked “back in the day” and listen to them on these old formats.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 12:08:51 AM »
My Dad went through about two dozen shitty used cars when I was growing up. One of them, in the mid-80's, well after 8-track was dead, came with an 8-track player in the dash - complete with a "Best of ZZ Top" tape permanently stuck in the player.

The radio got a lot of use in that car.