Author Topic: I've got the pinball bug! Looking for my first machine to restore  (Read 379 times)

Offline ClaytonsCorner

• Level 0: Inanimate Carbon Rod
Hello folks, newbie here, looking to get my feet wet and start a new hobby of restoring pins.  A nice guy named Art recommended I join this group in my quest.  I have 30+ years of working on electronics as well as my fair share of mechanical work so I'm not green when it comes to fixing stuff.  I am green when it comes to pinball machines though, but am willing to learn!  I live in metro Atlanta, but am willing to drive if shipping isn't an option.  Wouldn't be the first time my 15 passenger van traveled to Florida since me and my family are big Disney fans as well.  So, anyone have a project they are willing to let go?  TIA!

Offline Tecumseh Plissken

• Level 3: Hologram
  • We were buddies Harold. You , me , & Fresno Bob
Re: I've got the pinball bug! Looking for my first machine to restore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »
I agree Art Is a Nice guy

Offline busa32927

• Level 8: Psi Corps
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 09:07:05 PM »
welcome to the board.  even with a background in electronics i would recommend a 100% working game.  pinball covers a large range of electronics.  enjoy playing and find out what kind of game play u like.  then venture out into project games.
vids:  MK3, KI 1, ms pac,  60n1, 246/256 (tekken 5 and soul calibur), lethal enforcers, PP 1&2, robotron, joust w/jrok

WTB: Candy Cab, Stargate, and KISS

pins: TWD, ST prem, ACDC prem, SW(stern) prem, GoT, BM66 prem, GB, Woz, The Hobbit, BSD, JP(stern), Firepower, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper and RZ

past pins: TFTC,  MSF, PotC, PotO, BK2K, DM, LAH, BoP, LotR, Hook, Spiderman, GoT, Metallica, IMdn, Munsters, Grand Lizard, WhirlWind, BKSOR

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 08:58:01 AM »
Honestly I respect the enthusiasm.  My first total tear down and restore was a Road Show, no easy task.  Took me 8 months and I did bring it back from the dead but in the process I learned a ton!  I think jumping in and getting your hands dirty is a great way to learn.

Offline Marshall

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • LittleShopOfGames.com
    • Little Shop of Games | 24 Hour Arcade
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 04:46:14 AM »
Honestly I respect the enthusiasm.  My first total tear down and restore was a Road Show, no easy task.  Took me 8 months and I did bring it back from the dead but in the process I learned a ton!  I think jumping in and getting your hands dirty is a great way to learn.

I still have this Road Show and love it.  Thanks Leon!
Little Shop Of Games is Florida’s Pinball Showroom and Parts Storefront.
Authorized Stern, Jersey Jack and Chicago Gaming Distributor.
Buy, Sell and Trade New and Used Pinball Machines
We ship Parts and Games Worldwide Daily!

NEW HOURS Monday to Friday 11 AM - 7 PM

24408 State Road 54, Lutz, FL 33559
Shop: 813-944-4900 | Cell: 813-951-1602

http://LittleShopOfGames.com
http://24HourArcade.com

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 09:11:14 AM »
Your very welcome Marshall, that was a hard one to let go!!!

Offline Mal7887

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 09:53:03 PM »
Keep an eye on the buy/sell forum.

You can setup a subscription so that you get an email when something is posted. That way if something you want catches you eye, you can snag it up quick.

Jumping in head first was how I learned. Been several times where I thought for sure I was in over my head, but with patience, and help of others I figured it out each time. I am just finishing up my first play field swap myself, something I never thought I would be able to do.
Matt

Current Pins: AFM, MM, SS, EATPM (again!), Space Station
Past: FH, TAF, ST Pro, GB Pro, T2, EATPM, TOM, CCC, MB

Offline FUNWIZ

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 04:15:23 AM »
Keep an eye on the buy/sell forum.

You can setup a subscription so that you get an email when something is posted. That way if something you want catches you eye, you can snag it up quick.

Jumping in head first was how I learned. Been several times where I thought for sure I was in over my head, but with patience, and help of others I figured it out each time. I am just finishing up my first play field swap myself, something I never thought I would be able to do.

Congrats on all the work done!   :)
Pins: Allied Leisure, Astro Games, Atari, Bally, Bell Games, Chicago Coin, Data East, Game Plan, Gottlieb, JJP, Midway, Mr Game, Mylstar, Nuova Bell, Premier, Sega, Sterns, Williams, Zaccaria. Jukes: AMI, NSM, Rock-Ola, Rowe, Seeburg. Vids: Atari, Capcom, Data East, Exidy, Gottlieb, Midway, Namco, Nintendo, Sega, Sente, Stern, Taito, Universal, Williams.

Offline Richie107

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 12:47:28 PM »
I suggest you take alot of antibiotics to rid yourself of the bug.. Unless you are heavily loaded in the wallet you will be out on the street panhandling for $$ to pay your bills once you get into buying the machine and all the parts to restore it. This current times were in is a very expensive time to buy a pinball, a $5000 machine was just $1500-2000 10 years ago or so.. The maintenance requires a lot of money especially if you need a MPU for a old system 11 for example.. Wish you luck on your journey tho.. Just wanna throw out my negative comment of the day i suppose..

Offline Djude Abides

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 03:41:45 PM »
You've got a pretty good point...  sad but true, when I see people tripping over themselves to get a $12,000 machine...   I think I bought my first machine, ( a nearly new Cyclone) for $695. From Brady Distributing.... I know that was a long time ago... but it didn't get truly Cra Cra until the last couple of years...  good luck buddy...   Hope you find what you're looking for.
Present....Countdown, TZ, BBH, NGG, EBD, DE Time Machine...
Past. others...