Author Topic: Online backup question  (Read 163 times)

Offline Mamushka

• Level 8: Psi Corps
Online backup question
« on: December 19, 2020, 09:59:06 PM »
So, the main computer was acting up (all family picts on it etc.). Blue screen about 80% of the time when waking it up and then basically useless for the next 15 to 30 min as the HD was at 100%. After that it was fine.

Did several recommended steps to fix the 100% HD issue with no luck. I decided to start from scratch and upgrade to a SS HD at the same time (this computer does not support NVRAM).  I backed up everything (2 different drives) and swapped out the HD.

During the reinstall of Windows I noticed they were driving me towards OneDrive. Looking it over I see that I get 6TB of storage for $99 a year (up tp 6 computers). They offered the first month for free so I signed up.

So here is my question: It looks like my files are automatically backed up and I can down load them pretty much from anywhere. For $99 a year and no effort on my part, it seems like a no brainer. I'm sure there is a cheaper version that does the same thing but I don't really care. If this works the way I think it does I'm ok paying the $99 so I just don't need to think about it.

Am I missing something or is this a reasonable way to have my files backed up (and accessible) if my house burns down?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 10:06:24 PM by Mamushka »
Pins: TAF, FG (not the Ah-Haaa one), SM, FH, LOTR.
Past Pins: IJ, STTNG x2, WH2O x3, CFTBL, NGG, ES, MB, TFTC, LW3, TZ, SS, BG, LOTR, Monopoly couple of EM's
Other (AKA Vids): Cocktail MAME

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
Re: Online backup question
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 10:19:27 PM »
until they pull a google, and tell you if your over your storage cap, or inactive, they will start deleting.

i use a program called syncthing that syncs my folders between computers on net, i do a once a month "update" to a computer that is off net to prevent any file corruption from going over the sync.
http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RCT, DW. DE:ST, DP , AbraCaDabra
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, (2) Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Taito Classics, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom]

Offline k7

• Level 10: Timelord
Re: Online backup question
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 10:35:57 PM »
i keep a flash drive backup, and 2 hard drive backups. i don't have a boatload of pictures, or music, no movies, nothing that takes up mega space.

i've seen every conceivable method fail (including carbonite). so i just keep it inhouse.

i also don't trust anything microsoft recommends, but that's just me.
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value