Author Topic: Documentary talk  (Read 192 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Documentary talk
« on: January 04, 2021, 02:42:53 AM »
Trying to bring this thread back; seen any good documentaries recently?

An Accidental Studio - The Story of Handmade Films - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4843040/

So basically George Harrison (of the Beatles) really wanted to see a new Monty Python movie, and it didn't look like it was going to get made, so he paid for it.
Handmade films went on to produce a good number of great films - Time Bandits, The Long Good Friday and Withnail & I, among others, before it eventually imploded.

The documentary is a bit dry, but it's only about 90 minutes long. I would have liked to see at least a brief summary of what the company made after Harrison left in the early 90's, but they left that out.

Poop Talk - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6220290/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

This is a bit of an odd one. Made by twin comedians Randy & Jason Sklar, it's basically just comedians talking about poop jokes, why it's taboo, etc.
The strange thing is that they don't really even try to get into the scientific or psychological reasons behind it, so it's mostly just comedians chatting.
That does help keep it funny though, and it's only about an hour long. Not a must-see or anything, but I enjoyed it.

Power of Glove - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3509078/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

About the Power Glove for the NES. Turns out subject matter for video game documentaries has kind of run dry. There are definitely some interesting things about the Power Glove,
just not enough to fill a whole documentary. IMDB says it's 65 minutes, I could have sworn it was at least 90.

On the up side, at least they didn't try to make any of these into "docu-series". Take an hours worth of material and stretch it to at least six.

Tiger King definitely had that problem IMO, and even worse was "Wild, Wild Country" - about the "Baghwan" and his cult out in rural Oregon back in the 80s.
That one was around 7 hours long and I was interested in it going in, both from reading the parodies of it in "Bloom County" comics as a kid (not understanding it was a real thing
until years later), and also because I know a guy who partly grew up in that cult (took me quite a while to puzzle out who the weird looking Indian guy in a portrait in his living room was).

Even with that interest going in, 7 hours was just way too long for the material they had.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:58:02 AM by Niloc »

Offline stf

• Level 5: Power User!
Re: Documentary talk
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 10:10:04 AM »
I like documentaries, and Netflix has quite an extensive selection.
I saw those ones recently and like them:
Bill Gates
Power of Grey skull
Frank Sinatra
Iron Fists and Kung Fu Kicks
Most of them were docu-series, but with enough material to justify it.
I'm currently watching Don't F*** with the cats, not bad but it def has the stretch docu-series issue...

Offline number six

• SysOp
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 12:01:06 PM »
I'm surprised they could get 65 minutes out of the power glove. I mean you go over the technology, the 2 games.. the hype.. how nobody cared and it bombed.. and you mention The Wizard.. that's like 10 minutes.

I'll have to check out the handmade films one, that sounds interesting. I knew that Harrison paid for the movie.. which is cool in itself to have so much money you can be just like 'yeah ok here you go'.

I'm trying to think if i've seen any good docs in awhile. I tried to watch High Score or whatever its called.. the new video game documentary on Netflix but it's just more of the same. I think a lot of these Video Game docs really are re-treading the same space. There was also a new season of 'The Movies we Loved' (i think it's called?) from the people that made the Toys series (which is great) on Netflix.. I got about 3 minutes into the episode on Elf (it's mostly christmas movies this time) but then I realized while I liked Elf OK I don't really care enough to watch an hour behind the scenes on it.

I did enjoy Tiger King but at the time options were limited. I think they are doing a follow-up but not sure how good that'll be.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 04:03:39 PM »
Power of Grey skull

Saw that one a while back. Decently made documentary, but I've never been too into "Masters of the Universe", even as a kid.

I was probably just slightly too old for it when it came out, really hated the name "He-Man" for the main character,
and really, really hated the fact that his secret identity, Prince Adam, was just "He-Man" wearing a shirt. I mean, yeah, Clark Kent & all,
but "Adam" wasn't some nerdy kid, he was still this big, musclebound guy.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 04:07:33 PM »
I'm surprised they could get 65 minutes out of the power glove. I mean you go over the technology, the 2 games.. the hype.. how nobody cared and it bombed.. and you mention The Wizard.. that's like 10 minutes.

Yeah, the documentary really nails home how they fucked it up. No software for the thing until it had already flopped. Had the "glove ball" game come with it, bundled from day 1, and actually worked with the Powerglove controls,
it might have been a different story. Particularly if they had 2 or 3 other good glove-games sold separately. As it was, even a kid could see it was a gimmick. No way is Mario going to control better with that vs. a bog-standard NES controller.

I'm trying to think if i've seen any good docs in awhile. I tried to watch High Score

I think I saw an episode or two of that, but as you said, it's the same information over and over again.

Offline tufnel1530

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 06:21:32 PM »
The dude from Bill and Ted did a doc about Frank Zappa called appropriately enough "Zappa".

It was decent, probably best if you arent that familiar with him.

If you are its nothing you didnt already know really... not much new insight.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 01:11:51 AM »
The dude from Bill and Ted did a doc about Frank Zappa called appropriately enough "Zappa".

It was decent, probably best if you arent that familiar with him.

If you are its nothing you didnt already know really... not much new insight.

Got that one, just haven't gotten to it yet. I don't know a ton about Zappa so it'll probably be informative.

Also got "Heaven's Gate: The Cult of Cults" - a recent one from HBO, or HBO Max or one of those. Another docu-series, but looks like it's only 4 episodes at least.
This cult shit feels like it should have died out in the 60's or 70's, but no, they just keep coming. The Baghwan in the 80's, David Koresh in the 90's, then Heaven's Gate (among many others, I'm sure).

Offline tufnel1530

• Level 6: Knight Industries
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 03:41:25 PM »
Got that one, just haven't gotten to it yet. I don't know a ton about Zappa so it'll probably be informative.

Id recommend it... dont want to sound like Im not.

I just wished there was more new info or meat in it since there isnt a ton of stuff out there on him.