Author Topic: Dremel burned up, replace or other options?  (Read 505 times)

Offline hawknole

• Level 7: Khaaaan!
  • Super Jackpot!
Dremel burned up, replace or other options?
« on: January 04, 2021, 05:34:07 PM »
I burned up my Dremel rotary tool.  I have had it for 15-20 years so no complaints.  I will say that I didn’t use it a bunch.  Before I bought one a co-worker told me that a Dremel was as indispensable as a cordless drill.  That always annoyed me because he was wrong, and he was a putz.

During my time with my Dremel I did reach for it more than once only to be disappointed that it would not accomplish my task.  Percent of that happening with a cordless drill is much lower.

My question is — Should I buy a replacement Dremel or is there a tool out there, maybe even another rotary tool that is more functional than my old Dremel?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Offline ibis

• Show Organizer
  • Level 10: Timelord
Re: Dremel burned up, replace or other options?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 06:31:21 PM »
I had my dremel for about 20 years and it finally stopped working.  I bought a new one just a few weeks ago, the 3000 model.  In restoration and repair/shop jobs I find I use it quite often actually.  Especially when needing to cut something off or sand/round something internally like holes in play fields.  It was fairly inexpensive, $60.  So IMO I would spend the money, its costing you about $4 a year if you get another 15 years out of it.

Offline Weeze

• "Stay away from the French and sick people"
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 06:37:27 PM »
hIf it was me, first thing I'd do is tell the Putz how great rubbing alcohol works on those score reels! Then Id explain to him how to go through the underside of the playfield and to systematicaly grease every one of those coil plungers to make the game lightning fast! And finally, show him how great sandpaper works to get those ball swirl marks off the playfield.
 Now go to EBAY and buy one from china that are like 5.99 shipping included. I have one of those and they are fine.
Current Pins and Stuff: Hurdy Gurdy, Flipper Pool, Mini Pool, Kings & Queens, North Star, Ice Revue, King of Diamonds,  Flipper Clown, Bow & Arrow, Old Chicago, and the one and only, past owners include Wayne Newton, Pia Zadora and half the Village ,the totally awesome and historic, "CANDY APPLE" RED Astro..    
  Rowe "Encore" Jukebox.
Past Pins: way too many to list. plus a couple of vids, and  assorted other stuff.
  For Trade: Hawknole's Dog

Offline k7

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 06:47:38 PM »
my dremel came from target back around 2005. i think it was marketed as a tim the toolman dremel (home improvement)...

edit, had to look it up just now, it was marketed as TIM ALLEN SIGNATURE TOOLS.

it was 10 bucks give or take, and still kicking ass. great as a cut off tool, and tiny polisher.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 06:50:55 PM by k7 »
WTB:  HotDoggin'
              ...seriously, would grab one. thanks.

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 06:51:41 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/WEN-2305-Rotary-Tool-Shaft/dp/B003BYRFH8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=rotary+tool&qid=1609804162&sr=8-2

$21 for the whole kit. They've got a cordless version for $20 too.

It's a knock-off yes, but if your name-brand Dremel died after light use then...

I've got a similar one, used it about 6 times and it has been fine.

Offline hawknole

• Super Jackpot!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 07:12:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, looks like I will pony up for some form of replacement.

Cutting is probably what I had used it for most.  I think one of the first big tasks was cutting a hole in the side of a PC desktop tower to put a plastic window in with lights, obviously well before you could buy one or would want to shell out top dollar. 

Agreed, what a rotary tool does, it does very well, and if I don’t replace it, when I need it, I will have to scramble.

Offline Marcel G

• Show Organizer
  • Level 6: Knight Industries
  • APE Man
    • Pinwerks
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 08:37:18 AM »
Ive had mine for ... 2 days ago. Left my last one somewhere, which I had for many many years. I use a Dremel with the 'wizard wheel' attachment just about every other day.
P I N W E R K S

South Florida pinball machine and videogame repairs professionally done on site - Martin, Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties... and beyond if needed.

Offline Don Panetta aka 404

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 12:29:14 PM »
If your dremel died after 15 years of use then you buy another dremel....

Offline JaxGator

• Level 5: Power User!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 09:07:42 AM »
Dremel is a necessity for me. I would get another one.
Looking for working or complete but non working examples of: Dragon's Lair, Frogger, Joust or Multi-Williams in a Joust cab