Author Topic: Weird Windows 10 stuff  (Read 419 times)

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
  • Level 9: Grid Champion
Weird Windows 10 stuff
« on: June 24, 2021, 05:54:12 AM »
I've got a 4K monitor, and a 1080p monitor above that. Both connected by Displayport.

The 4K monitor does 95% of the work - I use the secondary monitor to display Word docs, spreadsheets, etc. when I'm working, or leave an audio player on that one, but a lot of the time it's just blank.

Used to be that if the screen was blank (background set to black, no wallpaper) the backlight on the secondary monitor would turn itself off after 3 seconds or so. Move the mouse pointer back onto that monitor, and it would instantly come back on, move it off and the backlight would shut off again. I don't mean it fully went to sleep, it does that too after 15 minutes of no activity - that function still works normally on both monitors, but recently the backlight stopped turning itself off.

I went through the monitor settings, nVidia settings, Windows settings, and Googled it. Nothing. Part of the problem is that it wasn't something I enabled - it just did that automatically when I added the secondary monitor a couple years ago. Now it has stopped - possibly because of a Windows update, but damned if I can get it back.

Another annoying thing; some windows (Firefox, and others), when maximized on the main monitor, show a bar (part of the top of the window) in the secondary monitor.
Others don't though - Windows file explorer works fine maximized, it only displays on the main screen (unless I manually move it to the secondary monitor) and does not creep into the other display.

Any advice?

I'm updated to the latest version of Windows 10 (not including beta or preview versions), latest video card driver, etc.

Offline Hamster

• Mad Sciencetist
  • Administrator
  • Level 10: Timelord
    • Coin Op Florida
Re: Weird Windows 10 stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 09:04:52 AM »
so 4k primary / 1k secondary monitors is going to give you a headache, esp if your DPI is set differently ( ie 200% on the 4K, and 100% on the secondary ) .. try setting both to 100% and see if it fixes your goofy maximize issues.

as for screen power down, swap your monitor cables around, and see if it still does it, the only way a monitor turns off is it stop receiving a signal or its told too.. otherwise its def a ear scratcher.
http://www.coinopflorida.com // http://freeplayflorida.com

"Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions. Hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact."-eeguru

pins: TSPP, AMH, T3, ST:TNG, ST:LE, RCT, DW. DE:ST, DP , AbraCaDabra
vids: Q*bert, Mad Planets, Reactor, (2) Sega Uni, Linked OR2SP, APB, Crystal Castle, Taito Classics, Cloak and Dagger, MSPAC, Space Duel, Gravitar, Tempest, Omega Race, Tutankham, Warlords [custom]

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 04:14:54 PM »
Thanks, I've messed with scaling in the past but not recently so I tried it again - no change though.

I normally have the 4K set to 150%, and the 1080p set to 100%. Tried both at 100% - same issues. Some maximized windows still show on the 2nd monitor.

Offline k7

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 07:42:44 PM »
mess around with the resolutions as well. windows 10 updates can screw with those, as well as unknown video card updates.

as far as what your backlight is doing, that's a new one for me. i run 2 monitors in way off different resolutions (1 DVI, 1 HDMI), and don't have that issue...my 2nd monitor will just go to sleep and give me a no-input message, then i turn it off. :P
WTB:  Goin' Nuts (10)              Bigfoot (2)
                Cabin Fever (1)          Nosferatu (10)
                      Richie Rich (1)        Wrath of Olympus (6)

...and basically anything 50% off eBay/painside value

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 09:39:18 PM »
Found the fix for the monitor backlight.

"Smart Energy Savings" SES - in the monitor settings - must be turned off.

So it turns the backlight off, if SES isn't set to either low or high. Sure seems like it's saving more power by turning off the backlight, so how does that setting save power?

The SES setting also isn't in any of the menus, to access it the monitor menu must be closed and then there's a button for SES (which serves as menu navigation if the menu is open).
It's a nice feature when it's working though - if I'm not actively using that monitor it just goes completely dark, no backlight glow, etc. - but it's still available to use when needed.

It's an LG monitor in case anyone else needs to find that setting. Basic 1080p LCD, the only "fancy" features it has are Displayport input (the cheapest ones just have HDMI and/or VGA), and it's got an IPS panel so the viewing angles are better - I tried an old TN-panel monitor I had around and it was unreadable in the position above the main screen.

Haven't found a fix for the maximized windows creeping into the 2nd monitor, but one thing I noticed is that Chrome did that when I first had the problem, but no longer does.
Other windows still do it - Firefox, the GoG (Good Old Games) launcher, and others - when maximized.

So I'm guessing Microsoft put something new in a Windows update and applications have to be updated to comply with it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:44:39 PM by Niloc »

Offline k7

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 01:54:08 PM »
thoughts only. the energy a backlight sucks up is less than that of a broadband modem. which run 24 hours a day. so i don't get any reason to "save energy" on something as low-wattage as a backlight.

windows 10 will just become nagware in due time. :P

Offline Niloc

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 04:34:58 PM »
thoughts only. the energy a backlight sucks up is less than that of a broadband modem. which run 24 hours a day. so i don't get any reason to "save energy" on something as low-wattage as a backlight.

windows 10 will just become nagware in due time. :P

The energy savings is not a big deal, point was just that if "Smart Energy Savings" was turned to either low or high on the monitor, the backlight stays on (until the whole monitor goes to sleep).
SES turned off, and the backlight goes off within seconds when the screen is blank. Surely that would save more power - with the energy saving setting turned off.

Offline k7

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 04:43:29 PM »
that's kind of what i meant. just a stupid setting, that ironically, when not used, you save more negatable power. :)

it's neat you even found it. i've found settings in menus that aren't even documented...hidden menus for printers are awesome.